List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Mitch (Star Wars) O'Neill

Remove this Banner Ad

No it isnt. Its plain logic which history has proven.

Riewaldt in an article recently stated that a new Tassie team would be the only reason he would leave Richmond.

You really think a new Tassie team woyldnt target experienced Tassie players in 2 or 3 years?

People seem to forget what haopened when the Eagles started. And yes many WA players didnt come home but Tassie has a smaller pool to throw $$ at.

I think it’s more the fact this Tasmania team does not exist

Whilst an actual move to a Tassie team is beyond fanciful, his comments do fit the psychology of someone who is a huge risk of struggling away from home.

Homesickness is as much about performance as it is about being a flight risk, probably more so. It's rare that a player is performing well whilst simultaneously struggling to cope away from their support networks (Kelly one example, but can't think of others off the top of my head).

Thought same thing reading his interviews. Seems mentally fragile.
Ticks all the right boxes in terms of talent and athleticism, yet slipped down that far. Has to be a reason.

I think it’s more the fact this Tasmania team does not exist

While I think Obeanie is being a bit over the top in regards to Oneil, plans are in place for a Tassie team. They are due to enter the VFL in 21 or 22 and if they can build a decent AFL venue and get 50000 supporters, they are looking to enter the AFL in 5 years. There has to be an exit strategy for North and Hawks too.

Its all summarised in here,

No it isnt. Its plain logic which history has proven.

Riewaldt in an article recently stated that a new Tassie team would be the only reason he would leave Richmond.

You really think a new Tassie team woyldnt target experienced Tassie players in 2 or 3 years?

People seem to forget what haopened when the Eagles started. And yes many WA players didnt come home but Tassie has a smaller pool to throw $$ at.
Does it really matter if he wants to hypothetically go back to some mythical Tasmanian team 5 years down the track? And if he somehow turns out to be decent and not another Burrows and if Tasmania somehow do get a team we'd likely get a fair bit more in compensation back than pick 25 in the rookie draft anyway. Fair chance they would overpay to get any half decent Tasmanian players back over there, we might even get a high enough pick to take a decent midfielder in the draft.

O’Neill was desperate to get on an AFL list to the point where his disappointment at not being taken in the main draft led him to considering a move to Victoria to play footy. And unlike most other draftees he was zero chance of being drafted by a club in his home state so knew with absolute certainty that for his football career to progress he had to leave home

To suggest homesickness could be an issue is fanciful

If, and it’s still a very big if, Tassie rightfully get an AFL team then I’d have no issue with him wanting to go home to be a part of. But I very much doubt recruiters would have factored in the impact of a hypothetical Tasmanian team when looking at drafting O’Neill

What we will get is a talented kid, overlooked for reasons unknown, determined to prove himself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O’Neill was desperate to get on an AFL list to the point where his disappointment at not being taken in the main draft led him to considering a move to Victoria to play footy. And unlike most other draftees he was zero chance of being drafted by a club in his home state so knew with absolute certainty that for his football career to progress he had to leave home

To suggest homesickness could be an issue is fanciful

There is enough evidence to think he will find it difficult to cope with a move away from his support networks.

Not that this is a certainty, and I bet he's got motivation to prove people wrong after being passed over.

Sure he'd know he'd have to move to pursue his career, and I'm not doubting that he wants it. But these aren't reasons to think that he'll not find it tough anyway.

Injuries alone just don't seem reason enough for everyone else to pass over him.

Does it really matter if he wants to hypothetically go back to some mythical Tasmanian team 5 years down the track? And if he somehow turns out to be decent and not another Burrows and if Tasmania somehow do get a team we'd likely get a fair bit more in compensation back than pick 25 in the rookie draft anyway. Fair chance they would overpay to get any half decent Tasmanian players back over there, we might even get a high enough pick to take a decent midfielder in the draft.

No need to be a dick.

All true if he goes there we will get more thwn we paid. Thats pretty obvious since we paid basically nothing for him.

If you go back all I stated was people should temper their expectatuons as imo he would go to a Tassie team as soon as its created.

TBH the reaction to that train of thought is somewhat over the top.

But its the off season and there is nothing else to argue about.

There is enough evidence to think he will find it difficult to cope with a move away from his support networks.

Not that this is a certainty, and I bet he's got motivation to prove people wrong after being passed over.

Sure he'd know he'd have to move to pursue his career, and I'm not doubting that he wants it. But these aren't reasons to think that he'll not find it tough anyway.

Injuries alone just don't seem reason enough for everyone else to pass over him.
That's a long bow to draw ... most kids wants to play for their state, all that shows is he's proud of his heritage.
Every possibility we'll get Eberted, but who cares we got him for feck all.

No need to be a dick.

All true if he goes there we will get more thwn we paid. Thats pretty obvious since we paid basically nothing for him.

If you go back all I stated was people should temper their expectatuons as imo he would go to a Tassie team as soon as its created.

TBH the reaction to that train of thought is somewhat over the top.

But its the off season and there is nothing else to argue about.
Not sure how I was being a dick?

That's a long bow to draw ... most kids wants to play for their state, all that shows is he's proud of his heritage.
Every possibility we'll get Eberted, but who cares we got him for feck all.
ok, let me be clear here - I'm not basing my worries about his resilience on the single 'wanna play for Tas' claim.

There's also his admission that the pressure of the draft year & extra attention has really got to him. And that he's been heavily reliant on his friends & family to block it out.

There's the fact that he's played well enough for dual AA; he's spoken to every club and half have bloody visited him (source: this pre-draft interview www.facebook.com/WINNewsTasmania/videos/2252033631568489/ ), so there's no questions that his talent is rated.

But despite that, he's effectively the LAST live pick of the rookie draft, given that the only picks after him are teams re-rookie-listing their own players and GC's NT zone concession picks.

There's injuries that have affected form, but they don't seem career ending.

There's a potential lack of size to make it as a mid at a higher level, but if this was the case it's hard to imagine how he'd be getting so much interest from clubs.

All of this points to something else going on off-field to make him fall down the draft order. But it's significant enough to turn everyone else right off.

If there's a better explanation for this discrepancy, I'm keen to hear it.

I have some friends and a sister in law from Tassie, it is essentially a right of passage for the youth to head over to the mainland to either study or pursue a career (obviously greater opportunity). So I can't see how he wouldn't be prepared to be away from home to chase his AFL dream, apart from the potential for a Tassie team there couldn't be less of a flight risk.
There will be a determination to prove the drafters wrong, and lets face it once your on a list you have the same opportunity to succeed as anyone. Just think of all the recruiters who would have loved to take a Sydney Stack from last year, who slipped through even the rookie draft having been highly rated.

Wrong on both counts.

How is it a 'reach' having the veiw a Tassie draftee join a Tassie team in 2 or 3 years?

And its the build up atm here. The monsoon doesnt normally come down until Jan even Feb.
I was offering you an excuse for your crazy ramblings. The buildup is probably worse for the mental state, so let's go with that.
I think it is highly unlikely there will be a Tassie team in the next 5 years let alone 2 to3 Certainly would t base recruiting decisions around the possibility of the Devils being the 19 team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back