BigFooty Optimist
Aug 19, 2016
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
IMG_0298.JPG

Medium midfielder who is a prolific ball winner with the ability to step through traffic with his elite agility. He is courageous and clean overhead with a long, penetrating kick. He averaged 22.2 disposals (74 per cent efficiency) and 5.5 marks playing for the Allies in the 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships to win 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 All-Australian honours for the second time. A consistent performer for the Tasmanian Devils in the NAB League earlier in the year, he averaged 20.2 disposals including his season high of 37 disposals against the Northern Territory. A knee injury curtailed his year post the 2019 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships but is expecting a full recovery.

Highlights:

Seems like a real solid rookie selection...

Seems to have a great first step and good spatial awareness - the sort of stuff you can't teach. Looking forward to seeing him play!

Absolutely stoked with this pick.

Could quite easily be the best out and out midfielder that we have drafted since Sheed in 2012.

A bit of Sam Mitchell in that sidestep. Reads play well, accumulates ball and has pace.

One of the steals of the entire draft as far as I am concerned. Very excited to see him in blue and gold.

Welcome aboard Mitch.

Seems like a real solid rookie selection...

Article highlights some of the many reasons why a full time team for Tassie is still a way off. Even Gold Coast due to risk/reward is a better prospect

If he turns out really well, better hope there won't be a Tassie side in the AFL anytime soon, cos he'll be one of the 1st to sign up.

He’s a proud Tasmanian too, wanting a Tassie team in the AFL.

"I'd love to have a Tassie side. I think everyone down there knows we should, how passionate we'd be as a state," O'Neill said.

"I feel like we could make a real good culture down there."

Maybe it's something his prospective suitors should keep in mind.

"If Tassie were in the [league] now, I'd choose Tassie."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely stoked with this pick.

Could quite easily be the best out and out midfielder that we have drafted since Sheed in 2012.

A bit of Sam Mitchell in that sidestep. Reads play well, accumulates ball and has pace.

One of the steals of the entire draft as far as I am concerned. Very excited to see him in blue and gold.

Welcome aboard Mitch.

It's highlights, so my comment needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but he looks to be really well drilled around stoppages. Pushes his opponent to a spot where they can't impact (often under the ball, sometimes to the side) and allows himself time and space to exit the stoppage.

Of course it is harder to do at a higher level (everything is), but he's got a good base to work with.

Very confident he will make the grade highest credited underage midfielder we have picked since sheed

It's highlights, so my comment needs to be taken with a grain of salt, but he looks to be really well drilled around stoppages. Pushes his opponent to a spot where they can't impact (often under the ball, sometimes to the side) and allows himself time and space to exit the stoppage.

Of course it is harder to do at a higher level (everything is), but he's got a good base to work with.
If he even becomes 1/3 of the player that Sam Mitchell was, I will be stoked.
He reminds of Smitch with speed. Has the football smarts that you just can't teach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back