List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Ryan Maric (pick 1, 2023 MSD)

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, It's a bit hard to develop someone with a footy IQ that makes Brent Staker seem like an all time great.

Like Brander, you can have all the size and athleticism in the world but if you don't actually want to go and do the work to get the footy and only have it come to you, you're never going to make it as an AFL footballer.

Rotham works harder at avoiding tackles & contests than he does impacting them. Only person to blame here is himself.

Harry Barnett referred to him as 'Ivan' on his Instagram. It's not super creative, but Ivan's a funny name so it gets a pass.
330628-ivan-maric.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like Brander, you can have all the size and athleticism in the world but if you don't actually want to go and do the work to get the footy and only have it come to you, you're never going to make it as an AFL footballer.

Rotham works harder at avoiding tackles & contests than he does impacting them. Only person to blame here is himself.

I kind of don't 100% (not 0% either) blame Rotham for his development. In his first run of games he looked like Hough did last season - super impressive that such a new player was competing so well and doing all the right things.

In recent years we've kind of applied 'structure, structure, gameplan, structure' to everyone which probably helped instinctive players like Ryan, McGovern, Rioli take the next step but I think may have limited 'team-first, already do the right things' players like Rotham, even Duggan to an extent. Then we sort of flipped the gameplan out of necessity and left him behind struggling to adjust. Impacting contests is about confidence as well as hardness and I reckon his confidence is shot.

Still may not influence whether we keep him or not but I do hope we've looked at Richmond etc, I don't necessarily like him but Hardwick was great at extracting strengths out of players with specific limits.

Maric at least like Culley seems like more of a blank slate so hopefully won't have that issue here - think he's come in at a better time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back