List Mgmt. Welcome Tom Cole (Pick 36, 2015 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

What strikes me about Cole is his work in traffic. He's balanced and has clean hands. The number of times you see him just charge at a loose ball, take it cleanly and keep going.

Hurn and Sheppard are already elite medium-sized defenders. Cole is on the right track to join them, although I reckon he could be even more useful in the midfield.

his tackling is something else. beast.
157987.jpg

What strikes me about Cole is his work in traffic. He's balanced and has clean hands. The number of times you see him just charge at a loose ball, take it cleanly and keep going.

Hurn and Sheppard are already elite medium-sized defenders. Cole is on the right track to join them, although I reckon he could be even more useful in the midfield.

I like Cole. He's got that anti-Partington vanilla about him

Another pre-season into Cole (and a few others) and he could be a revelation next season..fearless, takes it on, clean hands, creates time and space (a wizard?)...

*Edited May 2024 - Ye gods, whats was I thinking?
Not quite a wizard but solid, mostly...

Last edited:
Another pre-season into Cole (and a few others) and he could be a revelation next season..fearless, takes it on, clean hands, creates time and space (a wizard?)...
scenes-from-bruno-meeting-ayman-abu-aita-pic-splash-375754028.jpg

No concerns, he's already the complete player. I don't think I'm going too early here but I think he should leapfrog the rest of the leadership group and be officially named our Captain-in-waiting. Captain Cole has a nice ring to it.
I also think he'll take mark of the year, play in a premiership and be named AA within the next 3 seasons.
Well hopefully, he'll cross one of those off the list this year...

I got to be honest, i didn't have much hope for him when walked in to the club looking stick thin. That said, he must have done a heap of work into his tank and now reaping the reward.

Played every game in 2021 which completed a block of 72 from a possible 89 games from 2018-2021 where he established himself as a permanent selection in the backline

An ankle injury in the 2022 preseason ruled him out for all of that year and ongoing complications from that saw him miss a further 11 games from R5-16 in 2023

With a full preseason behind him he’s now played every game so far in 2024 and in his 8th season finally reaches game 100

Premiership player at just 21 he’s a valuable and popular member of the side. About to turn 27 he should look forward to another 3-4 years at least of good football to see him through to 150+ games and life membership of the club

Courtesy of this from Miguel Sanchez he becomes the 14th player from Victoria to reach the 100 game milestone

Go well Tom and good luck on Sunday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a very proud Tom Cole sponsor I wish him well in game 100 this weekend. Much underrated, fast, brave, and extremely handsome, Tom is often the first magnet on the board at match committee.

Facts.

Let’s get around him and will the lads to an upset over the d’s this weekend

Tom Cole for PM!!

As a very proud Tom Cole sponsor I wish him well in game 100 this weekend. Much underrated, fast, brave, and extremely handsome, Tom is often the first magnet on the board at match committee.

Facts.

Let’s get around him and will the lads to an upset over the d’s this weekend

Tom Cole for PM!!
EdCurnowTomColeRules

Interesting (maybe honest?) assessment here: http://www.boundforglorynews.com.au/2015-draft-profile-tom-cole/
"There is nothing too flashy about the inside midfielder, but there is nothing wrong with him either.

Some players are described as “bangers and mash”, or simple and effective. This is Cole to a tee.

If you are looking for a player that can hit a target lace-out 50 metres on the run, or take a huge specky, then do not consider Cole.
If you are looking for a player that is ultra-consistent and can plug holes just about anywhere, then Cole is your man.

Not particularly athletically gifted or a skillful player, Cole is a reliable kick, with solid endurance, who can drift forward, kick a few goals, drift back and settle the defence, or be thrown into the middle to win important clearances.

That is not to say Cole does not have a future at AFL level, but unlike your Darcy Parish’s and Jacob Weitering’s, he’s unlikely to become that A-grade star that club’s can build lists around. But as fans know, you cannot have 44 stars on your list; you need honest toilers who can be relied upon to just get the job done week-in, week-out.

Much like Boyd, Cole could become a future captain and while he might not win a game off his own boot, he is likely to be that leader who his supporter base recognises, but opposition fans question why he is out there.

For some clubs who cannot afford a Lamborghini, sometimes going back to basics and settling for a mid-90s Holden or Ford still has value and just gets the job done."

So overall, a hard working, reliable and effective player, that can play in various positions; but nothing too special about him at all.
Pretty good assessment on page 1, albeit with less of a no nonsense defender bend to it.

We’ll always have the Covid season where he inexplicably swung forward and goaled three weeks in a row. Well done Tommy Cole-man.

Congrats to Tom on a 100 games.
He always gonna get there once he became an automatic selection player for Simmo.
The type of player you'd be surprised if he was ever dropped.
Rarely in the bests but pretty much never the worst performed.
The draft assessment above describes him to a tee.

Tom Cole - 100 games and his thread is 10 pages.
Harley Reid will play his 10th - his thread is at 92 pages.

Kinda sums up Cole though - gets the job done, not well enough to generate any discussion, but not bad enough to get any rants either. Exactly the kind of player you need making up the middle of the list. Hope he gets to life membership, worth it for the mo alone.

I think there’s something about him that he earnt the trust internally pretty quickly - once he got his spot he didn’t lose it and as soon as he’s been fit we have found a way to get him in.

That’s a really great video - can tell he’s genuinely really loved by the group. Something that isn’t always obvious is the impact that a player has on the group- Tom very clearly is a heart and soul type that every team needs.

Premiership player. 100 games - deserves the plaudits and will hopefully add another 100 in the blue and gold.

Congratulations Tom! Hoping we can pull of a win for you.

Before this 100 games he was injured for a year, and the last post on the page was 2019.
I guess that is a blessing and a curse.

For perspective, from the 2015 draft:

#28 - Luke Partington (West Coast) - 6 games
#29 - Alex Morgan (Essendon) - 2
#30 - Mason Redman (Essendon) - 111*
#31 - Ryan Clarke (North) - 97
#32 - Brayden Sier (Collingwood) - 28
#33 - Mitch Hibberd (Essendon, North) - 9
#34 - Josh Schoenfeld (Gold Coast) - 15
#35 - Marcus Adams (Brisbane, Bulldogs) - 73
#36 - Tom Cole (West Coast) - 99*

We've done well. However, there are a fair few players post Tom Cole in the draft who've played a load of games (Riley Bonner, Blake Hardwick, Bailey Williams [Bulldogs], Jack Silvagni, Jordan Dawson, Nathan Broad etc)

Stoked for TC to get to 100. That video the Eagles posted shows how loved he is internally at the club. Has been a role player since he broke into the team and like one of the boys mentioned 'he would be first picked most weeks'. Has his doubters on this board at times, but I have really liked the season he ahs put together and is clearly a leader amongst the group. Go well Coley.

For perspective, from the 2015 draft:

#28 - Luke Partington (West Coast) - 6 games
#29 - Alex Morgan (Essendon) - 2
#30 - Mason Redman (Essendon) - 111*
#31 - Ryan Clarke (North) - 97
#32 - Brayden Sier (Collingwood) - 28
#33 - Mitch Hibberd (Essendon, North) - 9
#34 - Josh Schoenfeld (Gold Coast) - 15
#35 - Marcus Adams (Brisbane, Bulldogs) - 73
#36 - Tom Cole (West Coast) - 99*

We've done well. However, there are a fair few players post Tom Cole in the draft who've played a load of games (Riley Bonner, Blake Hardwick, Bailey Williams [Bulldogs], Jack Silvagni, Jordan Dawson, Nathan Broad etc)

Who the fvxk is Ryan Clarke?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back