Welcome Welcome Tom Emmett!! - Pick 41 in the 2022 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Funnily enough as they were mostly battling for the same spot, I found that Sturt and Banfield worked quite well together when they played together
Yeah, that’s the point I’m trying to make, having 2 mediums is better for team balance than 1 plus 4 smalls. Whether it’s Sturt, Banfield, Emmett or Ras who fills those 2 spots doesn’t really matter.
My personal preference is a starting 6 of
2 talls, Amiss and Treacy
2 Mediums, Sturt and Emmett
2 smalls, Walters and Frederick
With Jackson (tall), Switta (small) able to rotate through and give us a different look.

Last edited:
I think Jackson is part of the forward starting 6.

He is a significant disruptive element. He doesn't need to be locked into a set-in-stone forward structure, but he changes how the opposition will defend, which in itself is a win for us.
I love what he brings to the forward line, but if he’s spending 20% TOG as second ruck and another 20% TOG as a mid, he’s only going to be forward for roughly 40% TOG. Given both Amiss and Treacy will spend roughly 80-85% TOG, that means 30-40% one of them is on the bench. Jackson’s 40% TOG as a forward is covering the time Amiss or Treacy is on the bench, with Maybe 10% of game time all 3 are in the forward line.
IMO he’s more disruptive to opposing defenders when he’s drifting forward from the midfield or ruck as he’s way taller than most mids and more mobile than most rucks, so a KPD has to make a split decision on whether to move to him or stay on their man.

Yeah, that’s the point I’m trying to make, having 2 mediums is better for team balance than 1 plus 4 smalls. Whether it’s Sturt, Banfield, Emmett or Ras who fills those 2 spots doesn’t really matter.
My personal preference is a starting 6 of
2 talls, Amiss and Treacy
2 Mediums, Sturt and Emmett
2 smalls, Walters and Frederick
With Jackson (tall), Switta (small) able to rotate through and give us a different look.
I think I'd rather have Jackson in there instead of Sturt, then it's Sturt and Switta off the bench. In fact, I think it's better to have Sturt and Emmett off the bench.
Treacy, Amiss, Walters
Frederick, Jackson, Switta
Int: Sturt, Emmett

I love what he brings to the forward line, but if he’s spending 20% TOG as second ruck and another 20% TOG as a mid, he’s only going to be forward for roughly 40% TOG. Given both Amiss and Treacy will spend roughly 80-85% TOG, that means 30-40% one of them is on the bench. Jackson’s 40% TOG as a forward is covering the time Amiss or Treacy is on the bench, with Maybe 10% of game time all 3 are in the forward line.
IMO he’s more disruptive to opposing defenders when he’s drifting forward from the midfield or ruck as he’s way taller than most mids and more mobile than most rucks, so a KPD has to make a split decision on whether to move to him or stay on their man.
If Fyfe is fit he is in the 22, and having both Fyfe and Jackson as midfielders is not something I see working. Shock value, maybe. But Jackson parolling the forward half gets a big tick.

So Jackson’s 20% Mid time is while Fyfe is on the bench.
Nah, that's when Johnson is inside mid.

I'm not against Jackson playing midfield but our forward line has issues. I don't think we should try and be to tricketty with it.

If Taberner is in the forward line I'm fine with Jackson in the midfield more. Or if there is a match up we want him there for.

Nah, that's when Johnson is inside mid.

I'm not against Jackson playing midfield but our forward line has issues. I don't think we should try and be to tricketty with it.

If Taberner is in the forward line I'm fine with Jackson in the midfield more. Or if there is a match up we want him there for.
Think we are going to have to agree to disagree, I just don’t think he should be pigeonholed into a KPF role when he can have more impact roaming up the ground.

I think Jackson is part of the forward starting 6.

He is a significant disruptive element. He doesn't need to be locked into a set-in-stone forward structure, but he changes how the opposition will defend, which in itself is a win for us.
He creates that atmosphere of reactive panic...
Oppo players/coaches:
Wheres Jackson?
Whos on Jackson?
Is Jackson on or off?
Jeesuss!!

Think we are going to have to agree to disagree, I just don’t think he should be pigeonholed into a KPF role when he can have more impact roaming up the ground.
He can roam from CHF. Cameron roams. I'm all for roaming and I recognise the impact he can have. I get the attraction.

I'm also happy for him to ruck and roam. He stays in the contest when he does that really well.

And I'm very happy for him to slide into the midfield as a shock tactic. But we are not famed for our unpredictability at the moment. Get us into finals and a move like that can win a game.

When Darcy is ruck I think Serong, Brayshaw, Young and Fyfe can compete against all comers. And in 2024 I'm hoping to see big development from Johnson and Erasmus. The likelihood we go deep into finals in 2024 is slim so I definitely want to see development happening for those 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to be interesting to see if he's actually AFL standard once he settles. He's a bit of a Brady Grey type. Absolute wrecking ball that hits the contest at speed but his skills are extremely poor at times.
Could be nerves at this stage but time will tell.

Going to be interesting to see if he's actually AFL standard once he settles. He's a bit of a Brady Grey type. Absolute wrecking ball that hits the contest at speed but his skills are extremely poor at times.
Could be nerves at this stage but time will tell.
Schultz was the same early on, I genuinely didn't think he'd make it after his first year - which I was disappointed about because I liked his highlights when we drafted him. It wasn't until we brought LeCras on for a little while that his skills improved and he started to add a few tricks to his repertoire.

I'm hopeful with Emmett's work ethic he'll eventually get his skills to an adequate level, but it'll obviously never be a strength.

tbh, i think the shultz comparison is very accurate. shultz took a long time to come on.

i also think when you attack the contest at speed. eventually, your brain figures out how to manage situations where your moving at such a speed. you get a little smarter at slowing down,..etc

tbh, i think the shultz comparison is very accurate. shultz took a long time to come on.

i also think when you attack the contest at speed. eventually, your brain figures out how to manage situations where your moving at such a speed. you get a little smarter at slowing down,..etc
He’s tracking well tbh. That grab over Amiss was pretty classy for a small forward.
Him and Switkowski really need to hang around the 50, rather then the defensive acts up the ground. Need goals from these two

Lack of awareness with ball in hand seems to be a problem at the moment.
More games might help with this issue.
Hasn’t helped Hughes though.

quality human. you can see why the boys love him.
I watched The Boys in the Boat last night (based on a true story) and I felt like I was watching the building of Freo. They achieved olympic success because they worked as a team and not as individuals. JLo appears to have done a lot to bond these boys, and that's the bigger picture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back