Player Watch #19 Tom Lynch - It’s Official - OP Updated with Lynchmond goodness!

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what ruined us more:

-Singing Lynch as a free agent on a long term deal for well below market price or
-Re-signing Dusty on a long term deal for well below market price

Both terrible moves. Not sure what the club was thinking on either one.

nailed it.

Do people actually think he will improve much further as he played every game this year , so his fitness was up to max surely by the GF. He’s a mature or seasoned footballer so how much improvement can he benefit from a preseason.
I’m not saying he can’t , but surely the Geelong PF was his pinnacle and if not then heaven forbid the rest of the comp. His running was elite and he was covering a hell of a lot more ground in the end. I would like to see his miles covered in five game blocks to see where he went from R1-GF. We could then compare them to the averages of Hawkins , Kennedy Cameron or whoever to see if he’s at their level. We could also compare them to his stats in his stellar year at the Suns.
Bazzar where can I get these stats from?

Do people actually think he will improve much further as he played every game this year , so his fitness was up to max surely by the GF. He’s a mature or seasoned footballer so how much improvement can he benefit from a preseason.
I’m not saying he can’t , but surely the Geelong PF was his pinnacle and if not then heaven forbid the rest of the comp. His running was elite and he was covering a hell of a lot more ground in the end. I would like to see his miles covered in five game blocks to see where he went from R1-GF. We could then compare them to the averages of Hawkins , Kennedy Cameron or whoever to see if he’s at their level. We could also compare them to his stats in his stellar year at the Suns.

he is 26

could get better

Yes he is 26 which is in his early prime for a footballer. I see, I should have put mature bodied and surely he’s not going to get bigger and stronger bc he will kill someone out there.
How much improvement do you think he has?

The guy is a bonafide superstar already and I agree with you that he has now entered the early stage of his "prime". Where I think his improvement will come is just from more time within the Richmond team and identifying his teammates' movements and capabilities more and more.

What he did this year is nothing short of mind blowing. I personally admired and appreciated what he was doing even early on in the year, but sitting back now and really going through it all, I mean it's just staggering! He's already justified his pay packet in my opinion, but god forbid disaster, with more game time with his new teammates, he's only going to get better for us. He's an incredible footballer!

The guy is a bonafide superstar already and I agree with you that he has now entered the early stage of his "prime". Where I think his improvement will come is just from more time within the Richmond team and identifying his teammates' movements and capabilities more and more.

What he did this year is nothing short of mind blowing. I personally admired and appreciated what he was doing even early on in the year, but sitting back now and really going through it all, I mean it's just staggering! He's already justified his pay packet in my opinion, but god forbid disaster, with more game time with his new teammates, he's only going to get better for us. He's an incredible footballer!
I agree with all of this , so you’re really saying it’s more to do with the program in a preseason with teammates and not so much in fitness terms?Thats a good point as I couldn’t see where he was going to improve much with fitness levels. What can he improve by 10%,20% or more with teammates drills and .....?
I’m writing of his first half of the season where he was still learning to play our way and playing more like a Suns player where he would have the average to good game and a match winner here and there. Plus Jack being absent upset the Apple cart🙂
He did lack fitness as well as I put up comparisons of stats for the two halves way back on his improvements. The thing is can he kick the more goals next year as people are saying as he has Jack beside him and his role has changed? He’s been super impressive with his defensive work and that takes a lot out of a big forward, but his fitness was still 100%. Of course he will have his day out in the Sun(PF) just like Jack did on Saturday. Can they be a 200 goal duo like Buddy/Roughy combo of 2008? I doubt it, but it will be interesting to see. Those short people and Dusty hog a lot of ball in our FL as well.
I do like your point though.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes he is 26 which is in his early prime for a footballer. I see, I should have put mature bodied and surely he’s not going to get bigger and stronger bc he will kill someone out there.

for most footballers 26 is the prime but Lynch is taller than 6'6

proper ruck size, usually these guys take longer to find their feet. Obviously Lynch is already at a good level but he can go higher

He will only get bigger, stronger, better - when gets he can ragdoll almost all people and how good he is he might go to another level IMO. like a CHF version of Kouta when he exploded that season

Last edited:
I don’t know the bloke and maybe I’m taking an idea for a walk here but part of the reason Geelong and Hawthorn had such successful years I reckon was their confidence.
You could see it in Jonathon Brown as well after premierships and you can still see it in Buddy.
If the last 7-10% is in the head, having preformed well in the biggest games is something he’s got now he didn’t have before.
I’d love to see him win the Coleman, he is like you’ve said before an old school FF.
I reckon we’ve got the best FWD setup since Richo and Ottens...might even be better.

I don’t know the bloke and maybe I’m taking an idea for a walk here but part of the reason Geelong and Hawthorn had such successful years I reckon was their confidence.
You could see it in Jonathon Brown as well after premierships and you can still see it in Buddy.
If the last 7-10% is in the head, having preformed well in the biggest games is something he’s got now he didn’t have before.
I’d love to see him win the Coleman, he is like you’ve said before an old school FF.
I reckon we’ve got the best FWD setup since Richo and Ottens...might even be better.
I was worried that he was too old school as the Lockett and Dunstall types were bludgers once the ball hit the deck. Lynch changed his game after the bye and became more mobile physical and defensive . Some of the hits he made were hard and you could hear the noise in the stands. He became team oriented and suddenly Castagna Rioli Lambert and whoever rose in confidence knowing he was around as a guardian as well as the Forward to crumb to. I also liked the fact he moved away from the goal square as he was playing too deep for too long in periods. I actually enjoyed watching him at CHF dragging opponents forward whilst Dusty or Jack played deeper and often one out. No club could stop all three in a game and that’s why we looked unbeatable after JR got back.

Hawkins best season in regard to goals per game, was 2018, when tommyhawk was 30 years old.

Hawkins: Height: 198cm Weight: 103kg
Lynch: Height: 199cm Weight: 99kg

Will age like wine :moustache:
Hawkins hasn’t won a premiership since 2011 so he peaked at 22. 😍😎😇

Most of them seem to really peak at that age...26...must be summit magical about those numbers...at 26 if they are any good they play like young gods at the peak of their powers, seemingly un-stoppable! I'm thinking Dusty in 2017, I'm sure their are others but 26 seems to be the physical pinnacle!
I reckon they can play smarter ala JR but the laws of football physicality/attrition decrees a declining downward trend from 26...maybe maintain their prowess if everything goes their way with no injuries ever and vg management to 28...then that's it, step aside old fella for the young guns coming through!
It's going to be interesting watching Dusty at 28 now and see how long for he can still impact games! I reckon it will be more forward than mid otherwise we will have the same situation with Dusty that we have with Cotch...a physical battered champion that will have good days only...hopefully in the Finals!
As to Cut Lunch...I reckon at 26 fully fit in this side he could repeat this year in 2020! If the forward focus was on him I reckon he's got it in him to kick 100 barring injuries! But in our side with Team first strategy who knows...80 plus a few dead back-men from collisions with CL!
Reckon it all depends on how they want to play him...and how long Jacky boy sticks around!
A full season from a fully fit CL?!?? How many goals?!? Time for a poll!
I reckon, given his slow recovery this year from his knee injury, next year with a full pre-season easily kick a 100...but i'll say 80+...

Last edited:
Hawkins hasn’t won a premiership since 2011 so he peaked at 22. 😍😎😇

I cant think of many super tall forward to compare Lynch too.

Carey 192
Brown 194
NRiewoldt 193

Franklin 199 - plays more of sort of as a flanker type at peak

I think Lynch will continue to add strength and power in his body with more gyms sessions and preseasons.

Will not upset the apple cart but enhance it a lot

Most of them seem to really peak at that age...26...must be summit magical about those numbers...at 26 if they are any good they play like young gods at the peak of their powers, seemingly un-stoppable! I'm thinking Dusty in 2017, I'm sure their are others but 26 seems to be the physical pinnacle!
I reckon they can play smarter ala JR but the laws of football physicality/attrition decrees a declining downward trend from 26...maybe maintain their prowess if everything goes their way with no injuries ever and vg management to 28...then that's it, step aside old fella for the young guns coming through!
It's going to be interesting watching Dusty at 28 now and see how long for he can still impact games! I reckon it will be more forward than mid otherwise we will have the same situation with Dusty that we have with Cotch...a physical battered champion that will have good days only...hopefully in the Finals!
As to Cut Lunch...I reckon at 26 fully fit in this side he could repeat this year in 2020! If the forward focus was on him I reckon he's got it in him to kick 100 barring injuries! But in our side with Team first strategy who knows...80 plus a few dead back-men from collisions with CL!
Reckon it depends on how they want to play him...and how long Jacky boy sticks around!
A full season from a fully fit CL?!?? How many goals?!? Time for a poll!
I reckon, given his slow recovery this year from his knee injury, next year with a full pre-season easily kick a 100...but i'll say 80+...

KPP are different, i think, and very big ones more so

I cant think of many super tall forward to compare Lynch too.

Carey 192
Brown 194
NRiewoldt 193

Franklin 199 - plays more of sort of as a flanker type at peak

I think Lynch will continue to add strength and power in his body with more gyms sessions and preseasons.

Will not upset the apple cart but enhance it a lot
That’s the issue here as we can’t compare him really to anyone as he has an almost ruckman body, but with the traits of a Power Forward.
A comparison to Franklin would be interesting, but we all know the amount of running and work he does.

I was worried that he was too old school as the Lockett and Dunstall types were bludgers once the ball hit the deck. Lynch changed his game after the bye and became more mobile physical and defensive . Some of the hits he made were hard and you could hear the noise in the stands. He became team oriented and suddenly Castagna Rioli Lambert and whoever rose in confidence knowing he was around as a guardian as well as the Forward to crumb to. I also liked the fact he moved away from the goal square as he was playing too deep for too long in periods. I actually enjoyed watching him at CHF dragging opponents forward whilst Dusty or Jack played deeper and often one out. No club could stop all three in a game and that’s why we looked unbeatable after JR got back.

This is his normal level. Look at the Lynch/Suns 2016 season. At the start of the year he wasnt fit... it was a great effort to be able to contribute with some very key goals - will go another level after a preseason

or maybe im wrong and he will stay at the current standard. Thats fine too tbh

Last edited:
This is his normal level.

Look at the Lynch/Suns 2016 season.

At the start of the year he wasnt fit... it was a great effort to be able to contribute with some very key goals - will go another level after a preseason
I think we built him up to be bigger and stronger with proper strengthening and conditioning as looking at him before he arrived to now he’s a monster.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back