Player Watch #19 Tom Lynch - It’s Official - OP Updated with Lynchmond goodness!

What is a pass mark for him if he plays the rest of the season? Sitting on 26 goals with an average of 2.2 a game, being at the half way mark you'd think 50+ would be a great result with the combination of coming off an injury and the year we are having. I really hope before the year is out we'll see Jack and Tom gelling in the forward line and Tom to look a bit more mobile to take into pre season 2020.
Problem is Jack will also be coming off a PCL injury.

I don’t think the two will be gelling this year.

Jack is going to take time to get to full fitness himself when he gets back.

Someone said it earlier in one of the other threads, our forward line is going to take more than this year to learn to gel since Jack will be coming off a serious injury himself.

muzhogg

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Thought he wasn’t bad, took a few marks inside 50 on Blicavs who is possibly AA full back right now. Clearly not 100% fit and your delivery inside 50 didn’t help. Think with a full preseason and Riewoldt alongside him he’ll be like a new player in 2020.

This. So much this!

Our disposal efficiency was diabolical last night, so despite having three more inside 50s than your lot, I don't think Lynch had much of a chance.

It always seems that opposition teams carve us up with kicks to targets whilst we just bang and hope -- or at least put it out in front of a competition and trust that somebody will run onto it.

This, as a strategy to deliver the ball inside 50, does not serve Lynch well.

Heck, even with the form he's showing at the moment I doubt Tom Hawkins would have got much of a look in had he been playing FF for us.

muzhogg

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Settle down Joelsyt as even fully fit ( if possible) he will never suit our game plan or the modern day game. Even when he was in full flight at the Suns they were still rubbish with guys like Ablett Prestia and Caddy pushing it down his throat. He’s an individual and moves like a dinosaur and always has , especially below his knees. His other liability is he’s 2m tall and can’t ruck bc he’s a risk of doing serious injury to himself. He could have kicked five tonight, but like the Suns we still would have lost. Just as there are the usual suspects questioning the existence of this guy , there’s the usual suspects making excuses for him.
It’s a footy forum and people are entitled to give their opinions.

To be fair, though, the "excuses" actually are legit.

The guy's playing as our sole key forward, in a team that's struggling, that doesn't provide good delivery, coming of a PLC, playing for a new club, with one day a week training.

That's a pretty hefty cluster of disadvantages.

It's right to say that things aren't working out the way we might have hoped, but still too early, I think, to call the entire business a failure.

Does his performance at the Suns offer us much insight? Possibly, possibly not. I don't think his time at the Suns is a full indicator of his potential. They certainly aren't noted for their player development. Heck, even Ablett is back to playing decent footy now that he's back at Geelol and I'm not yet ready to give up the hope that Lynch's best football is still ahead of him.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
To be fair, though, the "excuses" actually are legit.

The guy's playing as our sole key forward, in a team that's struggling, that doesn't provide good delivery, coming of a PLC, playing for a new club, with one day a week training.

That's a pretty hefty cluster of disadvantages.

It's right to say that things aren't working out the way we might have hoped, but still too early, I think, to call the entire business a failure.

Does his performance at the Suns offer us much insight? Possibly, possibly not. I don't think his time at the Suns is a full indicator of his potential. They certainly aren't noted for their player development. Heck, even Ablett is back to playing decent footy now that he's back at Geelol and I'm not yet ready to give up the hope that Lynch's best football is still ahead of him.
Ablett won a Brownlow at the Suns and gave up in the end bc they were going nowhere. I do agree their player development is poor though. I’m against playing a bloke who can’t fully train.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Ablett won a Brownlow at the Suns and gave up in the end bc they were going nowhere. I do agree their player development is poor though. I’m against playing a bloke who can’t fully train.
But not when he was coming back from a knee injury...

muzhogg

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond

Yeah, true about Ablett. I shouldn't have introduced him as the example. :$

Also on board about not playing a bloke who can't fully train, but can see why Lynch might be an exception. You'd want to get him in and learning the system as soon as possible and, let's face it, right at the moment with our outs/form we don't have much choice but to play him. Still largely agree with you on this, though.

Meli

#gotiges
Aug 1, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting what Hardwick had to say about him:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190608-085531_AFL.jpg
    Screenshot_20190608-085531_AFL.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 160
I wish we didn’t have to play him until he’s fully fit however we haven’t got a choice right now.

Balta and CCJ probably wouldn’t be doing much better than Lynch unfortunately.

Our game plan also doesn’t help getting him fit either.

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
In our current circumstances, what else could we do! :shrug:
Just play 22 fit men. He’s doing nothing in terms of giving us a winning hope. As I said in another thread he’s only helped us win one game as we would have won the other six without him. He’s kicked bugger all in the las five or so games and I believe Chol Miller or CCJ would have done better bc at least they could have gone in the ruck as Soldo was gone by HT. We’re actually destroying his confidence atm by playing him.

Meli

#gotiges
Aug 1, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Just play 22 fit men. He’s doing nothing in terms of giving us a winning hope. As I said in another thread he’s only helped us win one game as we would have won the other six without him. He’s kicked bugger all in the las five or so games and I believe Chol Miller or CCJ would have done better bc at least they could have gone in the ruck as Soldo was gone by HT. We’re actually destroying his confidence atm by playing him.
Can't say I'm confident any of those guys would do better tbh.

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
We got him to support Jack.... The plan was to never play him as the sole tall forward, but due to the circumstances its what they have to do.
No as when Jack was next to him it was so embarrassing that KDH put JR in the xxxxing ruck, whilst pretty boy sat in the square looking at his reflection on the liniment oil on his arms.

Thrasher97

🏆🏆🏆
Jul 26, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
No as when Jack was next to him it was so embarrassing that KDH put JR in the xxxxing ruck, whilst pretty boy sat in the square looking at his reflection on the liniment oil on his arms.

Jack nor Tom should ever be played centre square ruck... It was stupid they dropped Balta for that game and played Jack in the Ruck. When Jack and Tom play they need to be further away from each other instead of being bunched up and competing for the same ball, and the midfiled needs to play to their (Jack & Tom) strengths

Back