Player Watch #19 Tom Lynch - It’s Official - OP Updated with Lynchmond goodness!

Remove this Banner Ad

He actually took 3 marks last night which is 2 more than the last few weeks so yes he is improving.

Was Jack lucky or does Jack make the goals happen, also Jack took a pay cut so people like Lynch could be overpaid. Our main problem is our small forwards are horrible out of form, Rioli has been shocking and George is a non entity at the moment and we are getting killed in the middle.

And literally anyone can of out there and run under the ball and drop chest marks, i'll do it for free and we can put the spare money in to better mids.

4th in the coleman is flattering him to be honest, was very lucky to get a bunch of cheap goals in our victories.

it could be said that lynch took a pay cut to play with us

Last edited:

muzhogg

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
People need to remember that Lynch was brought in as support to Jack to make us less predictable going forward. Unfortunately Jack has been missing for all but 3 games this year so our best laid plans have gone out the window and we've had to revert to the plan of getting it in long to Lynch and hoping that he can mark it when contesting with 2-3 opponents flying with him or that our crumbers can some how manage to weave through a dozen bodies and snag a miracle goal.

Yeah, ironically Lynch was brought in so that we could avoid precisely the situation we're now facing.

People talk about the need to revisit our forward structure and they're absolutely correct -- even the club knows this which, again, is precisely the reason Lynch is there in the first place.

What nobody could have predicted is that Jack would go down, especially not after he's been such a resilient player for us.

We really need Jack back before we can draw any real conclusions about how well Lynch is going to work out.

Yeah, ironically Lynch was brought in so that we could avoid precisely the situation we're now facing.

People talk about the need to revisit our forward structure and they're absolutely correct -- even the club knows this which, again, is precisely the reason Lynch is there in the first place.

What nobody could have predicted is that Jack would go down, especially not after he's been such a resilient player for us.

We really need Jack back before we can draw any real conclusions about how well Lynch is going to work out.

So lynch is a million dollar second forward who can only perform if he has a gun forward working as a foil for him?

If lynch is the replacement for Jack but he can't perform without Jack in the team then we are ****ed.

Not Important

never test the depth of water with both feet.
Oct 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
So lynch is a million dollar second forward who can only perform if he has a gun forward working as a foil for him?

If lynch is the replacement for Jack but he can't perform without Jack in the team then we are ******.
he lacks confidence at the moment. he was double teamed during the cats game too. i'm prepared to cut him some slack. takes time to get the vibe of a new team and he had no pre-season to speak of.

If lynch is the replacement for Jack but he can't perform without Jack in the team then we are ******.
Lynch is a KPF whose strengths are leading and marking or competing in 1-1 contests. Alongside a KPF like Jack who can compete in pack situations he will have the ability to get on his bike and compete to his strengths while Jack can compete using his strengths. Right now we're asking Lynch to play to Jacks strengths and not his. To his credit he has done as well as could be expected.

muzhogg

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond

There's two separate issues here, I think.

The first is forward structure and my understanding is that we wanted to move away from a forward line consisting of one KPF and a bunch of smalls as its long-term viability was seriously in doubt. It's not on Lynch that this structure doesn't work -- having only one KPF wasn't expected to work well with Jack or anybody else.

The second is how particular players are performing and when it comes to Lynch I think I've been clear that he's not where I hoped he'd be.

As for Lynch being a replacement for Jack, well I'd speculate that nobody thought we'd see Lynch without Jack so soon but rather expected that by the time Lynch had to take the field without Jack (i.e. after Jack retires) Lynch would be up and running and we'd have somebody to take the second tall forward spot.

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Our midfield ball use is atrocious at best... When TL has a one out position with plenty of space, our mids kick it short and sideways until he is double teamed and has no space, then hope to god he can take a pack mark and bail us out....

At the other end, Geelongs forward taking marks leading at the ball in open space, getting easy shots on goal.

Even Jack would struggle to be effective the way we move the ball.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I suspect he needs a rest but we can't afford to give him one given the circumstances. Not sure what's happened to his kicking the last few weeks. Its been terrible and was so good the first part of the year.

What I don't like is how easy he is going to ground. Looks like he's been hit by a bus any time he gets some contact from behind. Needs to stand his ground more.

He'll come good but I'm fearing it won't be this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond

Wouldnt that be relative to the lucky goals any forward gets or is lynch the only forward that ever gets lucky , stop being ridiculous , your bias is killing me

Wrenny

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
26.14 and 6th on the goalkicking from 12 games with no pre season and only training once a week.

Jack in 2017 had 31.20 from 12 games and in 2018 had 30.14 from 12 games and didn't have a bunch of kids kicking to him.

Think we need to cut Lunch some slack.
Mmmmm Cut Lunch

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Mmmmm Cut Lunch
see you.gif

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Jack is huge in the goal and score involvements and this is where Lynch ain’t.
I think where we differ on this... and its ok to differ...

You want Lynch to be Jack, or as good as...
I actaully see JR as the best and most well rounded KPF in the game. Just thinking that because we pay someone massive coin, they automatically become as good as JR is, thats the mistake...

So we are measuring him on different expectations.

I appreciate we pay him a sh!tload so we have high expectations, but I also round them off and think that, if by the end of his contract he is close to as good as JR ever was and we have a KPF for the club moving forward after JR retires, then it is the perfect recruit.

Yes I want some immediate impact and results, but I think given his comeback from injury, lack of fitness and agility (which will improve with time) I think his return is ok for now.

TBH, with our Ball movement this year, I reckon even JR would have struggled to hit the scoreboard.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
I think where we differ on this... and its ok to differ...

You want Lynch to be Jack, or as good as...
I actaully see JR as the best and most well rounded KPF in the game. Just thinking that because we pay someone massive coin, they automatically become as good as JR is, thats the mistake...

So we are measuring him on different expectations.

I appreciate we pay him a sh!tload so we have high expectations, but I also round them off and think that, if by the end of his contract he is close to as good as JR ever was and we have a KPF for the club moving forward after JR retires, then it is the perfect recruit.

Yes I want some immediate impact and results, but I think given his comeback from injury, lack of fitness and agility (which will improve with time) I think his return is ok for now.

TBH, with our Ball movement this year, I reckon even JR would have struggled to hit the scoreboard.
He’s a mature aged footballer and not a kid , so if he’s playing then he’s expected to perform at an A grade level considering the coin he’s on. As I’ve stated previously if he’s not fit then he shouldn’t be playing. Our Ball movement is about on par with his dinosaur ground movement.

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
He’s a mature aged footballer and not a kid , so if he’s playing then he’s expected to perform at an A grade level considering the coin he’s on. As I’ve stated previously if he’s not fit then he shouldn’t be playing. Our Ball movement is about on par with his dinosaur ground movement.
I probably think he needs a rest also, but to his credit, he is playing because we have ZERO options that can replace him and do better than curretn output.

Sadly Moore's injury couldn't have come at a worse time for him.

I stayed in a hotel room just above that crossing last December.

It gets busier than that. :D

As for Lynch, I’m one of the people defending him profusely. However I do acknowledge he’s not playing as well as I would have hoped.

I hope he’ll improve but I do worry he won’t.

If he’s still playing like this this time next year after a decent pre-season (hopefully and injuries and team permitting) then I’ll change my tune.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
I probably think he needs a rest also, but to his credit, he is playing because we have ZERO options that can replace him and do better than curretn output.

Sadly Moore's injury couldn't have come at a worse time for him.
Yeah shame really would have been great to see Moore strut his stuff!

Back