Player Watch #19 Tom Lynch - It’s Official - OP Updated with Lynchmond goodness!

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s like this Bo we’ve covered for injured players in the past and scraped wins here and there. Tom Lynch has only won one game for us and the rest we’ve won were easily manageable without him. Just like we e won these minnow games without Jack Rance and co. The reality is you won’t win the fifty fifty games without them and most often you will get trounced . This happened for three weeks and Lynch was a total liability so much that the young bloke Chol was introduced and showed him up on Rookie wages in his third game.
Not an overly convincing case their TI , too many ifs and buts , I can’t see for the life of me how we could have constructed a forward line without him. Anyway it doesn’t bloody matter , what does impress me is that I knew another tall i50 would help no end and that was bang on . More of the same please cholly

Call it a co incidence but lynch was better and seemed to have more room to work when cholly went forward too . Lynch had a better than average game , 3.3 should never have tried that right angle snap , was outrageous
I knew he was going to miss that snap, and I don't know why he tried it, he is such a beautiful kick at goal....maybe a confidence thing!? Anyway, did the right thing later in the game and got the goal. Put it down to learning.

I knew he was going to miss that snap, and I don't know why he tried it, he is such a beautiful kick at goal....maybe a confidence thing!? Anyway, did the right thing later in the game and got the goal. Put it down to learning.
He kicks a good drop punt , forget the snap

He kicks a good drop punt , forget the snap

Apparently the conversion generally is better with those around the corner kicks - that being said I bet it is better with some players more than others. I can see the case for them the closer to the boundary you get, but seriously anything 45degree or better should be a regulation kick for AFL footballers.

I wonder how much 'peer pressure' within the footy community exists to use them. They are show-time kicks. You give mates gee-ups to get or miss them, sort of fun and frivolity at training. I'm sure there a good many AFL players now that practice them seriously, but it would be interesting to watch their demeanors at training to see how serious - especially if they are then used in a multi-million dollar industry where livelihoods can be lost.

It’s like this Bo we’ve covered for injured players in the past and scraped wins here and there. Tom Lynch has only won one game for us and the rest we’ve won were easily manageable without him. Just like we e won these minnow games without Jack Rance and co. The reality is you won’t win the fifty fifty games without them and most often you will get trounced . This happened for three weeks and Lynch was a total liability so much that the young bloke Chol was introduced and showed him up on Rookie wages in his third game.
Just like Towner showed up Jack in 2017?
Who played on Chol when he was loose in Def?
Who was the opposing Ruck when the boundary umpire threw it 15mtr short?
To say Chol showed him up is a bit of a stretch been on the list four years mate.
Fact is we are defficient in quality fwds in VFL and AFL and we only seem to be developing CCJ.
We had to buy one and we bought the best available your right about the way he plays but I think his best is still ahead of him.

Just like Towner showed up Jack in 2017?
Who played on Chol when he was loose in Def?
Who was the opposing Ruck when the boundary umpire threw it 15mtr short?
To say Chol showed him up is a bit of a stretch been on the list four years mate.
Fact is we are defficient in quality fwds in VFL and AFL and we only seem to be developing CCJ.
We had to buy one and we bought the best available your right about the way he plays but I think his best is still ahead of him.
The unfortunate part of this year has been our injuries and even Miller and Moore were savaged by them. Our tall cupboard was bare . The Chol comparison is more that he showed Lynch up bc he can play multiple roles all around the ground and isn’t a one trick pony.

The unfortunate part of this year has been our injuries and even Miller and Moore were savaged by them. Our tall cupboard was bare . The Chol comparison is more that he showed Lynch up bc he can play multiple roles all around the ground and isn’t a one trick pony.
It that the same as how a Russell Morris type, versatile, used to show up Tony Lockett at St Kilda?

Cmon TI he was the beneficiary of lynch drawing the heat in saints best defender in Carlisle and being unmarked on several occasions , dusty spotted him up twice at HF
It was why many of us were crying out for a sec tall , glad the club finally Acknowledged our view

Cmon TI he was the beneficiary of lynch drawing the heat in saints best defender in Carlisle and being unmarked on several occasions , dusty spotted him up twice at HF
It was why many of us were crying out for a sec tall , glad the club finally Acknowledged our view
Agree on the extra big man needed, but seriously TL can’t ruck or play BL.

Your right about Lynch with his strengths being not as many as some of the other FF’s and he’s a lead from the square type who’s dropping some he’d be disappointed about.
Yep he did look crap below his knees and can look silly turning to chase.
I know we won it with Jack and the small fwds but I reckon more often than not it’s two quality large fwds that do well on GF day.
I reckon the way he’s leading now is exactly how he’s going to play when Jack’s in and he will hit packs and the defenders will get twitchy with the two of em.
We haven’t seen our best fwd setup yet.

Your right about Lynch with his strengths being not as many as some of the other FF’s and he’s a lead from the square type who’s dropping some he’d be disappointed about.
Yep he did look crap below his knees and can look silly turning to chase.
I know we won it with Jack and the small fwds but I reckon more often than not it’s two quality large fwds that do well on GF day.
I reckon the way he’s leading now is exactly how he’s going to play when Jack’s in and he will hit packs and the defenders will get twitchy with the two of em.
We haven’t seen our best fwd setup yet.
I agree we’ve definitely needed more height down there , but I’m still not sure with TL style you’ve mentioned and we’ve seen to date that it’s actually going to work as the small game sample showed a lot of flaws as JR didn’t look comfortable at CHF, so much to get Jack into the game he was moved into the ruck bc Undies was killing us.
Chol will be the key for us if he can maintain consistency at the level. His fitness and tank is of no issue so if he plays support ruck and spare parts around the ground it may allow JR and TL to work out a system where they can work together in harmony. Again this will need time and hopefully it will be sorted out before finals. I still don’t like the predictable nature of TL game , but as you say surely having JR about it should improve it.

Agree on the extra big man needed, but seriously TL can’t ruck or play BL.
I agree on that but he has the ability to play FF very well ,the challenge is to the coaching group to work with what we’ve got , not sure they really had that right most part of first 1/2 season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree we’ve definitely needed more height down there , but I’m still not sure with TL style you’ve mentioned and we’ve seen to date that it’s actually going to work as the small game sample showed a lot of flaws as JR didn’t look comfortable at CHF, so much to get Jack into the game he was moved into the ruck bc Undies was killing us.
Chol will be the key for us if he can maintain consistency at the level. His fitness and tank is of no issue so if he plays support ruck and spare parts around the ground it may allow JR and TL to work out a system where they can work together in harmony. Again this will need time and hopefully it will be sorted out before finals. I still don’t like the predictable nature of TL game , but as you say surely having JR about it should improve it.
Whether it’s jack or an extra tall another dynamic was always needed as no doubt a pointy end forward line is both predictable and easy to defend
I still maintain that the small forward line is dead . A more conventional BAL is needed from here on

Whether it’s jack or an extra tall another dynamic was always needed as no doubt a pointy end forward line is both predictable and easy to defend
I still maintain that the small forward line is dead . A more conventional BAL is needed from here on
Yep Jack Riewoldt and the Seven Dwarfs died by 2/3 through last season and I think we now need at least three talls with only playing two as genuine forwards . I’m believing the game is heading to back in the old days with genuine midfielders with class to rest or play as the small forwards. DeGoey and Ablett are excelling in the roles.
We need to play Cotchin Martin Higgins Lambert Prestia Stack and Baker there in waves when they’re not in the guts as they’d be more threatening than what the chaos ball kings have dished up. The chaos ball kings are one dimensional and offer nothing, especially on a bad day. I think the game is demanding now for more quality if you want to have that winning edge. This method also gives you quality and quantity in terms of your midfielders and it’s rotations.
It’s a double barrel affect.

Yep Jack Riewoldt and the Seven Dwarfs died by 2/3 through last season and I think we now need at least three talls with only playing two as genuine forwards . I’m believing the game is heading to back in the old days with genuine midfielders with class to rest or play as the small forwards. DeGoey and Ablett are excelling in the roles.
We need to play Cotchin Martin Higgins Lambert Prestia Stack and Baker there in waves when they’re not in the guts as they’d be more threatening than what the chaos ball kings have dished up. The chaos ball kings are one dimensional and offer nothing, especially on a bad day. I think the game is demanding now for more quality if you want to have that winning edge. This method also gives you quality and quantity in terms of your midfielders and it’s rotations.
Yes I concur too many small forwards spoils the broth , when they have to get hands dirty v sides with high depth of contested ball winners we re exposed , I hope that cholly can get on a roll build his confidence as it could give our 2019 campaign a second wind

It’s interesting what you say about resting mids fwd, I like it.
One thing I want to lay down about Lynch, I think he’s hungry for the ball and hungry for the big stage.
Thats why he wanted to play without a mini pre season and why he wanted to play with us.
The main reason why I reckon your gonna love him is because even though Jack probably took more marks inside 50 than anybody last two years, Lynch still averages more than him.
Don’t forget Jonathon Brown and Dermott thought he was the best player in the league at one stage.
When he’s fit and his hands are on I don’t reckon many can go with him and if we play finals he’s going to want the ball.
I think he’s going to make more than one defender look broken hearted.
Your gonna love him TI.

It’s interesting what you say about resting mids fwd, I like it.
One thing I want to lay down about Lynch, I think he’s hungry for the ball and hungry for the big stage.
Thats why he wanted to play without a mini pre season and why he wanted to play with us.
The main reason why I reckon your gonna love him is because even though Jack probably took more marks inside 50 than anybody last two years, Lynch still averages more than him.
Don’t forget Jonathon Brown and Dermott thought he was the best player in the league at one stage.
When he’s fit and his hands are on I don’t reckon many can go with him and if we play finals he’s going to want the ball.
I think he’s going to make more than one defender look broken hearted.
Your gonna love him TI.
I hope you’re right buddy.

We still would have won those games without him barring the Port game.
Just like young lads have stepped up all year I’m certain we could have filled the void. He’s been solid, but no world beater. Also it’s still questionable whether he will improve us when Jack arrives bc in the small game sample we saw they looked awful together, so much that Jack was forced to ruck.
I believe he congests or stagnates our FL by being predictable and could be another reason why our small forwards have been dysfunctional all year.

Not taking a pot shot here, but you're kidding yourself if you think we'd have won all of those games without him - you surely can't believe that?!.

In Jack's absence he has been thrown into a new team as the sole key target with zero preseason under his belt after doing a PCL. Not only has he been halving most contests when he's not clunking them, but he's coming top 5 in the coleman and equal 2nd in contested marks in the comp!

He has literally shouldered our entire forward line by himself all year, and is only training once a week! As good as Balta or even Chol may be in the future, they're not doing that week in week out in 2019.

I know it's each to their own, but people questioning Lynch's importance this year is a real weird one. Scary thing is, he's only going to get better.

Not taking a pot shot here, but you're kidding yourself if you think we'd have won all of those games without him - you surely can't believe that?!.

In Jack's absence he has been thrown into a new team as the sole key target with zero preseason under his belt after doing a PCL. Not only has he been halving most contests when he's not clunking them, but he's coming top 5 in the coleman and equal 2nd in contested marks in the comp!

He has literally shouldered our entire forward line by himself all year, and is only training once a week! As good as Balta or even Chol may be in the future, they're not doing that week in week out in 2019.

I know it's each to their own, but people questioning Lynch's importance this year is a real weird one. Scary thing is, he's only going to get better.
Of course we would’ve. Don’t be so caught up on a one man band as 22 blokes are picked each week. All those wins were really against minnows and we haven’t beaten in reality anyone of any significance. The Port game was his only game where he was a match winner. He was actually awful in some of our wins and horrid in our losses, but I’m not going over the same points over again. I can only recall one very good game from him and about three serviceable ones . The rest have been meh. Yes my point holds firm that we would have beaten Carlton, Melbourne, Sydney, Saints , Essendon ( horrible night for big blokes and he was just that) , Freo and Hawthorn without him.
Apart from Freo who are rubbish we haven’t beaten a top 8 side yet.

Last edited:

Not only has he been halving most contests when he's not clunking them, but he's coming top 5 in the coleman and equal 2nd in contested marks in the comp!

2nd in contested marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the league!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(i'm trusting you have your facts Houndman)

5th leading goal kicker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I'm across this one:thumbsu:)

OK he's not been a world beater YET (PCL recovery anyone), and probably overvalued so far, but some stats are worth their weight in gold in a discussion.

So dial back to pre-trade week. Someone comes to us as says, 'have I got a deal for you. I can give you a bloke who next year after the byes who will be 2nd on the contested marks list as a forward, he will be sitting 5th on the goalkickers list, even while you can't play Jack for most of those weeks (sorry about that), and here's the kicker - you don't even need to trade a thing!!!!!!. He will though take a fair bit of cap.'

Where do we sign?

Last edited:
Apparently the conversion generally is better with those around the corner kicks - that being said I bet it is better with some players more than others. I can see the case for them the closer to the boundary you get, but seriously anything 45degree or better should be a regulation kick for AFL footballers.

I wonder how much 'peer pressure' within the footy community exists to use them. They are show-time kicks. You give mates gee-ups to get or miss them, sort of fun and frivolity at training. I'm sure there a good many AFL players now that practice them seriously, but it would be interesting to watch their demeanors at training to see how serious - especially if they are then used in a multi-million dollar industry where livelihoods can be lost.

I reckon it's obvious that the conversion is better around the body. It was obvious for me when I was in the U10s. It's far easier to kick around the body like that than a drop punt.

Think of the physics. The advantage of a drop punt versus a snap is the distance the ball travels. The advantage of the snap is the angle of the kick with a uncertain distance.

I think I should try this explanation again with a diagram. But when you've got the ball 90° to the foot. The foot can move left or right and the ball goes straight. At 90° to the foot. But....depending on how far left or right you go will determine the height and distance the ball goes.

If it's a drop punt. The ball is in a straight line with the foot. 0° or 180° depending on how you picture it. So you always are going to get a good distance on the ball. But....if the foot moves slightly left or right the angle of the ball can change dramatically.

Therefore if a player is within 25m of goal they should pretty much always be kicking around the corner. It's far safer given that the angle of the kick is the only issue. Distance always going to be fine. If it's further out than that a drop punt will work because extra distance is required.

Lol I think I definitely need a diagram.

2nd in contested marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the league!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(i'm trusting you have your facts Houndman)

5th leading goal kicker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I'm across this one:thumbsu:)

OK he's not been a world beater YET (PCL recovery anyone), and probably overvalued so far, but some stats are worth their weight in gold in a discussion.
Tom Hawkins is ranked third in score involvements and Lynch is 81st in the competition. As I’ve been saying he’s an individual and unless he marks it we get almost nothing from him.
Hawkins second on goal assists and he’s 38th.
I rest my case with him that he’s an old fashioned mark and a kick full forward. His only improvement he has in his current game is to hold more marks and to kick more accurately.
I want him to be more of a team player and to have some defensive bone in him, but I believe he hasn’t got it bc his build is not right.

I reckon it's obvious that the conversion is better around the body. It was obvious for me when I was in the U10s. It's far easier to kick around the body like that than a drop punt.

Think of the physics. The advantage of a drop punt versus a snap is the distance the ball travels. The advantage of the snap is the angle of the kick with a uncertain distance.

I think I should try this explanation again with a diagram. But when you've got the ball 90° to the foot. The foot can move left or right and the ball goes straight. At 90° to the foot. But....depending on how far left or right you go will determine the height and distance the ball goes.

If it's a drop punt. The ball is in a straight line with the foot. 0° or 180° depending on how you picture it. So you always are going to get a good distance on the ball. But....if the foot moves slightly left or right the angle of the ball can change dramatically.

Therefore if a player is within 25m of goal they should pretty much always be kicking around the corner. It's far safer given that the angle of the kick is the only issue. Distance always going to be fine. If it's further out than that a drop punt will work because extra distance is required.

Lol I think I definitely need a diagram.

So when will we see these around the corner kicks for nearly every short field pass then based on that logic?

I get what you are saying. I understand the laws of the pendulum, motion, force and direction. Play enough pool and you get it, one way or another. Still back in a well practiced and rehearsed drop punt anything better than 45 degrees. It a stunning coincidence that Jack's kicking improves every week after he spends more time practicing kicking than the physios will allow.

Tom Hawkins is ranked third in score involvements and Lynch is 81st in the competition. As I’ve been saying he’s an individual and unless he marks it we get almost nothing from him.
Hawkins second on goal assists and he’s 38th.
I rest my case with him that he’s an old fashioned mark and a kick full forward. His only improvement he has in his current game is to hold more marks and to kick more accurately.
I want him to be more of a team player and to have some defensive bone in him, but I believe he hasn’t got it bc his build is not right.

I still want to believe in Santa Claus too but I have face facts sometimes (sorry kids out there - especially you LaughingJack;)) You were not offered 3rd in score involvements, and at 38th on goal assists that's 2 per Club on average, but again not offered that. But if you hold tight a bit longer and believe, you might get a surprise under the AFL tree.:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back