Player Watch #19 Tom Lynch - It’s Official - OP Updated with Lynchmond goodness!

Remove this Banner Ad

So when will we see these around the corner kicks for nearly every short field pass then based on that logic?

I get what you are saying. I understand the laws of the pendulum, motion, force and direction. Play enough pool and you get it, one way or another. Still back in a well practiced and rehearsed drop punt anything better than 45 degrees. It a stunning coincidence that Jack's kicking improves every week after he spends more time practicing kicking than the physios will allow.

Haha well up the field the players are typically on the move, running so the opportunity is reduced dramatically. And then on many other situations the depth of the kick is equally or of greater importance than the angle so I think we will only see it close to goal where depth of kick isn't an issue. All hail the snap. Boo the set shot drop punt

So when will we see these around the corner kicks for nearly every short field pass then based on that logic?

I get what you are saying. I understand the laws of the pendulum, motion, force and direction. Play enough pool and you get it, one way or another. Still back in a well practiced and rehearsed drop punt anything better than 45 degrees. It a stunning coincidence that Jack's kicking improves every week after he spends more time practicing kicking than the physios will allow.

Yeah don't disagree at all with the practice remark. Pressure simulated deliberate practice needs to be done as much as possible

I still want to believe in Santa Claus too but I have face facts sometimes (sorry kids out there - especially you LaughingJack;)) You were not offered 3rd in score involvements, and at 38th on goal assists that's 2 per Club on average, but again not offered that. But if you hold tight a bit longer and believe, you might get a surprise under the AFL tree.:D
This is why we have so many stats , so people can pick and choose the ones that best fit their argument or agenda.
I generally like to use my eyes as they’re the best stats possible, but hey I can play the game. 🤗

Yep Jack Riewoldt and the Seven Dwarfs died by 2/3 through last season and I think we now need at least three talls with only playing two as genuine forwards . I’m believing the game is heading to back in the old days with genuine midfielders with class to rest or play as the small forwards. DeGoey and Ablett are excelling in the roles.
We need to play Cotchin Martin Higgins Lambert Prestia Stack and Baker there in waves when they’re not in the guts as they’d be more threatening than what the chaos ball kings have dished up. The chaos ball kings are one dimensional and offer nothing, especially on a bad day. I think the game is demanding now for more quality if you want to have that winning edge. This method also gives you quality and quantity in terms of your midfielders and it’s rotations.
It’s a double barrel affect.
Chaos delivery has its place and time, smart players know when and where to do it. ( though we need two or three talks for this to be effective)
I’d Rather see a player kick the ball into forward 50 while under pressure than cough it up in the centre while trying to be too creative or cute. Sometimes you have to play the odds.

Chaos delivery has its place and time, smart players know when and where to do it. ( though we need two or three talks for this to be effective)
I’d Rather see a player kick the ball into forward 50 while under pressure than cough it up in the centre while trying to be too creative or cute. Sometimes you have to play the odds.
Yes , but as a poster beautifully put it a few weeks ago , Richmond has been obsessed with what to do when they don’t have the ball they’ve forgotten what to do with it when they have the ball. Something of that order. Chaos is great , but you still need to up the ante with skill and I think our poor drafting of first and second rounder mids with the likes of Ellisx2, Lennon , Conca etc we’ve lacked a lot of polish midfield wise so Caracalla and co had to devise a method of winning a flag with what list they had .
This worked for 18 months, but now teams with enough midfield rotations and quality midfielders tend to break us as our chaos players can’t compete at their level.

Apparently the conversion generally is better with those around the corner kicks - that being said I bet it is better with some players more than others. I can see the case for them the closer to the boundary you get, but seriously anything 45degree or better should be a regulation kick for AFL footballers.

I wonder how much 'peer pressure' within the footy community exists to use them. They are show-time kicks. You give mates gee-ups to get or miss them, sort of fun and frivolity at training. I'm sure there a good many AFL players now that practice them seriously, but it would be interesting to watch their demeanors at training to see how serious - especially if they are then used in a multi-million dollar industry where livelihoods can be lost.
While I am obviously nowhere near the quality of an AFL player, I certainly feel far more confident in a kick around the body than a drop punt over a short distance. Easier to control. I’m sure that’s at least part of the reason players do it.

While I am obviously nowhere near the quality of an AFL player, I certainly feel far more confident in a kick around the body than a drop punt over a short distance. Easier to control. I’m sure that’s at least part of the reason players do it.

It's what you practice though. Let me play Harry's Advocate. You are at 45 degrees to the goal outside the arc, a team mate is running to the fat side 30m away, do you kick around around the body or kick a straight drop punt pass? Lets say you can execute this using your preferred foot.

You can of course do both. But the one you instinctively do is the drop punt pass, turning your body, stepping once or thrice and kicking through it, forward and low. You've done it countless times - kick to kick, game sim, drills. You spot, you move towards, you execute. More times than not (hopefully) team mates run on to it, perhaps deviating slightly. No time to think really, just do it (as Nike suggests).

I'm not suggesting the around the corner kick has no place. I just think it is being over relied upon into spaces that a simple routine will kick the goal.

Our midfield ball use is atrocious at best... When TL has a one out position with plenty of space, our mids kick it short and sideways until he is double teamed and has no space, then hope to god he can take a pack mark and bail us out....

At the other end, Geelongs forward taking marks leading at the ball in open space, getting easy shots on goal.

Even Jack would struggle to be effective the way we move the ball.

Why they brought the new rules in,Geelong would struggle otherwise.

Yes , but as a poster beautifully put it a few weeks ago , Richmond has been obsessed with what to do when they don’t have the ball they’ve forgotten what to do with it when they have the ball. Something of that order. Chaos is great , but you still need to up the ante with skill and I think our poor drafting of first and second rounder mids with the likes of Ellisx2, Lennon , Conca etc we’ve lacked a lot of polish midfield wise so Caracalla and co had to devise a method of winning a flag with what list they had .
This worked for 18 months, but now teams with enough midfield rotations and quality midfielders tend to break us as our chaos players can’t compete at their level.
Don’t get me wrong , l agree with what you’re saying too, I’m just saying there is a time and place for it.
I like our forward momentum, but we need to be smarter as well, very strong marking teams that hit targets will kill us like Collingwood and west coast did. Because the ball doesn’t hit the ground as much.
As I’ve said before run and chase is not enough.

Don’t get me wrong , l agree with what you’re saying too, I’m just saying there is a time and place for it.
I like our forward momentum, but we need to be smarter as well, very strong marking teams that hit targets will kill us like Collingwood and west coast did. Because the ball doesn’t hit the ground as much.
As I’ve said before run and chase is not enough.
I knew you were agreeing with me , I just wanted to add some extra points.

I reckon it's obvious that the conversion is better around the body. It was obvious for me when I was in the U10s. It's far easier to kick around the body like that than a drop punt.

Think of the physics. The advantage of a drop punt versus a snap is the distance the ball travels. The advantage of the snap is the angle of the kick with a uncertain distance.

I think I should try this explanation again with a diagram. But when you've got the ball 90° to the foot. The foot can move left or right and the ball goes straight. At 90° to the foot. But....depending on how far left or right you go will determine the height and distance the ball goes.

If it's a drop punt. The ball is in a straight line with the foot. 0° or 180° depending on how you picture it. So you always are going to get a good distance on the ball. But....if the foot moves slightly left or right the angle of the ball can change dramatically.

Therefore if a player is within 25m of goal they should pretty much always be kicking around the corner. It's far safer given that the angle of the kick is the only issue. Distance always going to be fine. If it's further out than that a drop punt will work because extra distance is required.

Lol I think I definitely need a diagram.
You know what i think your on to something here...I'm wondering how do the Irish Gaelic players go about kicking their round ball?!?
If their is indeed some sort of consistent kicking style V traditional drop punt! Other than what feels comfortable!

I still want to believe in Santa Claus too but I have face facts sometimes (sorry kids out there - especially you LaughingJack;)) You were not offered 3rd in score involvements, and at 38th on goal assists that's 2 per Club on average, but again not offered that. But if you hold tight a bit longer and believe, you might get a surprise under the AFL tree.:D
What's it got to do with me?!?! :think:

This is why we have so many stats , so people can pick and choose the ones that best fit their argument or agenda.
I generally like to use my eyes as they’re the best stats possible, but hey I can play the game. 🤗
Yeah, but that works both ways too!

FWIW, I think you're right, he hasn't had a great season, but I think he'll start looking better from here on in, especially when Jack returns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, but that works both ways too!

FWIW, I think you're right, he hasn't had a great season, but I think he'll start looking better from here on in, especially when Jack returns.
That was my point about stats.
Jack can only help him in terms of letting him free from another Defender which should give him more uncontested marking opportunities. I don’t think Jack will help him with the defensive side of his game or the goal assists side of things.
Let’s hold our breaths and see how it pans out.

That was my point about stats.
Jack can only help him in terms of letting him free from another Defender which should give him more uncontested marking opportunities. I don’t think Jack will help him with the defensive side of his game or the goal assists side of things.
Let’s hold our breaths and see how it pans out.
Yeah, but I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt because of the 'excuses'! I thought he played okay against saints, kicked three (should have kicked 5), and I thought he had a couple of really good assists, which is what he gets paid to do, so.....🤷‍♀️ like you said, let's see how it pans out.

Yeah, but I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt because of the 'excuses'! I thought he played okay against saints, kicked three (should have kicked 5), and I thought he had a couple of really good assists, which is what he gets paid to do, so.....🤷‍♀️ like you said, let's see how it pans out.
We also need to take into account that he played on Carlisle who was playing his second game and was coming back from Injury again for the year and was extremely underdone. Carlisle easily had his measure in the first half until he ran out of steam and also when the Saints buckled and we continued to get more drive I50. I’m hopeful , but sceptical at the same time as I still haven’t seen the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

We also need to take into account that he played on Carlisle who was playing his second game and was coming back from Injury again for the year and was extremely underdone. Carlisle easily had his measure in the first half until he ran out of steam and also when the Saints buckled and we continued to get more drive I50. I’m hopeful , but sceptical at the same time as I still haven’t seen the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
I don't blame you! But I hope you're proven wrong! :blush:

Carlisle easily had his measure in the first half until he ran out of steam and also when the Saints buckled and we continued to get more drive I50.

Picking and choosing stats and manipulating the reasoning for outcomes.... we all do it, including you, clearly^^^

Carlisle ran out of steam and gets afforded that luxury lol! Lynch out-bodied him for his 2nd and ran him ragged to gain separation in the build up to the pack mark clunk. If we are being honest, Lynch should've had 5 on Sunday. The blokes already a gun for us.. and next year with a full preseason, is only going to get better.

It's pretty farking exciting if you ask me..

Picking and choosing stats and manipulating the reasoning for outcomes.... we all do it, including you, clearly^^^

Carlisle ran out of steam and gets afforded that luxury lol! Lynch out-bodied him for his 2nd and ran him ragged to gain separation in the build up to the pack mark clunk. If we are being honest, Lynch should've had 5 on Sunday. The blokes already a gun for us.. and next year with a full preseason, is only going to get better.

It's pretty farking exciting if you ask me..
That was my point , but as we continue to make excuses that TL has come off a PCL,yet he’s played all the games. Whereas Carlisle has played two games and not continuously after a serious back injury. TL was thrashed by him in the first half and he only really got off the chain when the Saints we outgunned in the last. I look at the full picture and not only what suits my agenda. If people are going to quote stats and make excuses then they should be accurate on all accounts.

That was my point , but as we continue to make excuses that TL has come off a PCL,yet he’s played all the games. Whereas Carlisle has played two games and not continuously after a serious back injury. TL was thrashed by him in the first half and he only really got off the chain when the Saints we outgunned in the last. I look at the full picture and not only what suits my agenda. If people are going to quote stats and make excuses then they should be accurate on all accounts.

"thrashed by him in the first half" - completely ignoring the fact the saints pretty much dominated the entire first half and giving that no weight in the carlisle v lynch battle

"got off the chain when the saints were outgunned in the last" - now saying the teams performance is the main factor in how carlisle did against Lynch in the second half

lmfao

"thrashed by him in the first half" - completely ignoring the fact the saints pretty much dominated the entire first half and giving that no weight in the carlisle v lynch battle

"got off the chain when the saints were outgunned in the last" - now saying the teams performance is the main factor in how carlisle did against Lynch in the second half

lmfao
Mate he lost most of the battles when on Carlisle in the first half , irrelevant of how much of the ball the Saints had. I can only comment on their contests on one another and not what the other blokes were doing. Another lot of rubbish comments and excuses.

Last edited:
Lynch is a gun. Rolled gold A-grader. Anyone who is trying to prove otherwise is trying to be controversial for the sake of it

We signed him on a long term deal for a reason - don’t try and judge the success or failure of his recruitment after half a season, especially when JR is out of the team

Imagine the mark and kick to stack from the weekend but further up wing and kicking to Jack or visa versa :hearteyes:

Yeah don't disagree at all with the practice remark. Pressure simulated deliberate practice needs to be done as much as possible
players usually have set shot practice with NO crowd noise or men on the mark front and at the sides heckling you or cribbing and doing a high jump, they are obviously more loose, relaxed and less nervy,
they also kick balls that are worn in and probably 20hours+ of being kicked around or ex match balls....

a brand new pill can be like cricket ball IMO and with the harder stitching and shiny gloss surface the can swerve around alarmingly if you fractionally miss that sweet spot or the pressure in the air is a bit inconsistent, and now they have around a dozen in a bag for swapping around to save time and brighter/yellow ones for night and tv which would only make things trickier. would say without fear of contradiction that 35out on a slight angle... lynch/cotchin drill it 8/10ish at training, yet match day same kick same spot its a 6/10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back