Player Watch #19 Tom Lynch - It’s Official - OP Updated with Lynchmond goodness!

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
We also need to take into account that he played on Carlisle who was playing his second game and was coming back from Injury again for the year and was extremely underdone. Carlisle easily had his measure in the first half until he ran out of steam and also when the Saints buckled and we continued to get more drive I50. I’m hopeful , but sceptical at the same time as I still haven’t seen the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
Carlisle was playing his third game, so that is a bit of a stretch. It's only FB on a player that doesn't move around a lot.
I think Lynch has been essential this year. He gets his hand to so many high balls, and takes a lot of marks, (in comparison to what we are used to if you take Jack out). But he does do it in patches and has yet to dominate a whole game. Unfortunately Jack being injured means we rely on him so much. But Jack has had to do a power of work as the sole forward, so it might just lengthen his career not having to do it all by himself.
I don't expect any more than what he is delivering at the moment (ruck backup would have been nice), but hen no CHOL...

Just like Towner showed up Jack in 2017?
Who played on Chol when he was loose in Def?
Who was the opposing Ruck when the boundary umpire threw it 15mtr short?
To say Chol showed him up is a bit of a stretch been on the list four years mate.
Fact is we are defficient in quality fwds in VFL and AFL and we only seem to be developing CCJ.
We had to buy one and we bought the best available your right about the way he plays but I think his best is still ahead of him.
If Lynch wasn’t playing Chol wouldn’t have got near it.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Carlisle was playing his third game, so that is a bit of a stretch. It's only FB on a player that doesn't move around a lot.
I think Lynch has been essential this year. He gets his hand to so many high balls, and takes a lot of marks, (in comparison to what we are used to if you take Jack out). But he does do it in patches and has yet to dominate a whole game. Unfortunately Jack being injured means we rely on him so much. But Jack has had to do a power of work as the sole forward, so it might just lengthen his career not having to do it all by himself.
I don't expect any more than what he is delivering at the moment (ruck backup would have been nice), but hen no CHOL...
I looked up his stats and it had games for 2019 a total of 2. It mustn’t of included the one on the day. Also they haven’t been continuous and he was back from injury. No stretch at all considering the excuses we’ve been hearing for Lynch. I’m not sure if you’ve had a serious back injury and know what it’s like , but you could clearly see Carlisle was underdone and was going to run out of steam.
I’m not saying Lynch is a spud , but he’s just a slightly more mobile dinosaur who will reach to no great heights as his record already suggests . He will never be elite like a JR Franklin Carey or Ablett as he’s too gangly. He’s a very good footballer bc his height and ability to lead and hold enough marks , but his ground work is poor bc of his size and slowness below the knees. There’s a reason why he’s 81st in goal assists and it’s bc he’s poor defensively and horrible once the ball hits the deck. It’s still in doubt whether he will increase JR career as we have nO idea how they’re going to gel together. I personally think there’s too much hype on this bloke as his record is nothing incredible and as I’ve stated Templeton and Lockett performed better in inferior sides. I’m going to keep out of this thread until I see the return of JR bc to date there’s really nothing else more to say.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
lol I do admire your dedication to your beliefs TI.

I don’t agree with you on your opinion of Lynch but I do admire your dedication to your cause. :D
Thank you. I’m in hope he can at least improve in these areas bc it could at least get him out of the dinosaur mould. If Tom Hawkins can do it surely the great Lynch can. Also I forgot to mention his poor efforts when he attempts to ruck , but I’m being lenient here bc of his pcl. However his prior history shows ruck was never his forte’. I would love to be wrong on him , but at 26 I think a leopard doesn’t change its spot and I’m adamant that there will be little improvement in him except for what JR may allow him to do. I’ll keep all my toes and fingers crossed for the lad bc we need him to be at least serviceable for another six seasons.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
I looked up his stats and it had games for 2019 a total of 2. It mustn’t of included the one on the day. Also they haven’t been continuous and he was back from injury. No stretch at all considering the excuses we’ve been hearing for Lynch. I’m not sure if you’ve had a serious back injury and know what it’s like , but you could clearly see Carlisle was underdone and was going to run out of steam.
I’m not saying Lynch is a spud , but he’s just a slightly more mobile dinosaur who will reach to no great heights as his record already suggests . He will never be elite like a JR Franklin Carey or Ablett as he’s too gangly. He’s a very good footballer bc his height and ability to lead and hold enough marks , but his ground work is poor bc of his size and slowness below the knees. There’s a reason why he’s 81st in goal assists and it’s bc he’s poor defensively and horrible once the ball hits the deck. It’s still in doubt whether he will increase JR career as we have nO idea how they’re going to gel together. I personally think there’s too much hype on this bloke as his record is nothing incredible and as I’ve stated Templeton and Lockett performed better in inferior sides. I’m going to keep out of this thread until I see the return of JR bc to date there’s really nothing else more to say.
You are quoting some pretty good names there. We have been spoilt with Jack, the complete forward, right up there behind Royce and Richo, just. So yes Lynch is no star, and yes a bit old fashioned, but he is very solid, strong and consistent, something that is not to be undervalued. (Yes, Carlisle was on his second game back).

Cotcho

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
players usually have set shot practice with NO crowd noise or men on the mark front and at the sides heckling you or cribbing and doing a high jump, they are obviously more loose, relaxed and less nervy,
they also kick balls that are worn in and probably 20hours+ of being kicked around or ex match balls....

a brand new pill can be like cricket ball IMO and with the harder stitching and shiny gloss surface the can swerve around alarmingly if you fractionally miss that sweet spot or the pressure in the air is a bit inconsistent, and now they have around a dozen in a bag for swapping around to save time and brighter/yellow ones for night and tv which would only make things trickier. would say without fear of contradiction that 35out on a slight angle... lynch/cotchin drill it 8/10ish at training, yet match day same kick same spot its a 6/10.

Yeah I think clubs are getting smarter about it to be fair but there's only so much time in a week. Hard to fit it all in.
I went down a bit of a rabbit hole a few years back when I was starting some football coaching and spoke to some of the leaders in the area. They're aware that kicking when fatigued, under pressure with one chance at goal is very different to having several shots at goal without pressure from the one spot etc. They try to set up competitions where the coach blows the whistle and player X has to kick for goal with the whole team trying to put him off And setting up competitions etc. They try to get them to have a shot from one spot, run around a bit. Then have another shot from a different spot to simulate a game situation. They get them to do maths problems in their heads when they kick to simulate a natural kicking motion. Etc etc The issue then of course is once again trying to fit it all in. The old school attitude of "go and take 100 shots" doesn't really add up for all the above reasons.
It's actually a completely different skill to hit the first drive of the day down the fairway in front of the club house than to hit 5 good ones in a row at the driving range.

loser 81 2 16

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm surprised to hear someone down on him. Maybe it's just trolling. Maybe it's just a pre-ordained dislike of anyone who turns up on big bucks. I think you'd need at least 1 full season and maybe 2 to have a good picture.
From the few games I have watched I don't feel negative towards him. He is contesting and at least bringing the ball to ground. It's a shame we haven't got to see him working with Jack consistently. It still feels like he needs to get used to the system and the team with him. In 2017 Prestia and Caddy didn't really contribute until late in the season I thought. Although Nankervis had an impact from the start.
I am still really happy that a high profile player actually chose to come to Richmond...it's been a long time since the last one.
Since Jack we haven't done well at recruiting key position forwards. I can only compare him to how I remember Vickery performing and he feels like an improvement on that level already.
As a previous Hardwick doubter (I probably still would be except for a gf and the last 3 seasons results :)) I am prepared to just trust the club that they know what they're doing.

Last edited:

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm surprised to hear someone down on him. Maybe it's just trolling. Maybe it's just a pre-ordained dislike of anyone who turns up on big bucks. I think you'd need at least 1 full season and maybe 2 to have a good picture.
From the few games I have watched I don't feel negative towards him. He is contesting and at least bringing the ball to ground. It's a shame we haven't got to see him working with Jack consistently. It still feels like he needs to get used to the system and the team with him. In 2017 Prestia and Caddy didn't really contribute until late in the season I thought. Although Nankervis had an impact from the start.
I am still really happy that a high profile player actually chose to come to Richmond...it's been a long time since the last one.
Since Jack we haven't done well at recruiting key position forwards. I can only compare him to how I remember Vickery performing and he feels like an improvement on that level already.
As a previous Hardwick doubter (I probably still would be except for a gf and the last 3 seasons results :)) I am prepared to just trust the club that they know what they're doing.
That is quite some understatement.

Hounddd

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2012
🏆🏆🏆
AFL Club
Richmond
If Lynch wasn’t playing Chol wouldn’t have got near it.

This so much. Lynch demands the full attention from the best key defender at an absolute minimum. Without Riewoldt, he's been going up with 2 defenders in most cases.

Not only has he done this week in week out without Jack, but he's taken the 2nd most contested marks in the comp thus far, and kicked over 30 goals.

Bloke's an absolute jet. Can't wait to see him with a full preseason under his belt and full time training involvement.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
This so much. Lynch demands the full attention from the best key defender at an absolute minimum. Without Riewoldt, he's been going up with 2 defenders in most cases.

Not only has he done this week in week out without Jack, but he's taken the 2nd most contested marks in the comp thus far, and kicked over 30 goals.

Bloke's an absolute jet. Can't wait to see him with a full preseason under his belt and full time training involvement.
af98c-this.gif

Contrary to what some have said ITT, he’s not a stay at home FF when fully fit and going.
When fit he has a great tank for such a big man and leads up the wings and creates opportunities up the ground, an area we were found lacking in last year when it mattered most.
Now he doesn’t have the aerobic capacity of N Riewoldt and Richo when they were at the top of their game, but he’s most definitely above average.
Neither of them pinch hit in the ruck either because that’s a waste.

Schlurp

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
Can the Lynch detractors just take a moment and recall why Collingwood were so keen to get him. With no preseason and coming off a significant knee injury he's stepped into Jack R's role and kept us afloat while Jack recovered. Jack was physically pounded last year and the impact on his body had Lynch not arrived would have been savage. The last quarter of the Saint's game shows that Tom's marking will improve as will his integration with the small forward set up we have. It's all going in the right direction.

CholEstrol

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Not concerned how many Tom kicks tomorrow. If he plays his role, competes well in the air and get's the ball to ground to advantage that will do nicely thanks.
If he gets on the end of a few then a bonus.

Big Tom is really starting to run and jump. Good signs with the knee. Particularly his elevation with the jumping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Thank you. I’m in hope he can at least improve in these areas bc it could at least get him out of the dinosaur mould. If Tom Hawkins can do it surely the great Lynch can. Also I forgot to mention his poor efforts when he attempts to ruck , but I’m being lenient here bc of his pcl. However his prior history shows ruck was never his forte’. I would love to be wrong on him , but at 26 I think a leopard doesn’t change its spot and I’m adamant that there will be little improvement in him except for what JR may allow him to do. I’ll keep all my toes and fingers crossed for the lad bc we need him to be at least serviceable for another six seasons.
If you’re looking for a dinosaur look elsewhere, there is another who should be on your radar.

Squibbs

Premiership Player
May 25, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Pretty gutsy to play through the whole year and not miss a game to rest up at all, without Jack for the majority of the year and still not being 100% yet. He hasn’t been dominant individually but the duo of a healthy Jack and Tom is a nightmare for opposition backlines

Back