List Mgmt. Welcome: Tyson Stengle, new Crow!

Remove this Banner Ad

You can't be serious.

A tall forward, whom most on this board have commented that he has the potential to be a star Vs 2 x sanfl players.

BTW the overrating of McAdam on this board just shows how damaged the supporters psyche has become given so many disasters, player exoduses and implosions. We will try and manufacture a win wherever we can.
I've found that most people on this board have been level-headed in their expectations towards McAdam. Cautious optimism would be the general description I would use. And... damaged psyche? Speak for yourself, don't speak for the rest of us.

I remember him being talked up as a target before he got drafted and I think there was YouTube video package of him. I found this.

Looks a class above that mob. But he would want to. Griggs is a class above them and a class above the sanfl with 2 magareys and BOG with 6 goals in a losing gf. But still can’t crack the big time.

Point being , yeah he looks promising in that package. But could add up to absolutely nothing.

You can't be serious.

A tall forward, whom most on this board have commented that he has the potential to be a star Vs 2 x sanfl players.

BTW the overrating of McAdam on this board just shows how damaged the supporters psyche has become given so many disasters, player exoduses and implosions. We will try and manufacture a win wherever we can.
You can’t really make the comparisons of AFL level vs AFL reserve level. Lukocius or Rankine haven’t performed yet at AFL level. Does that mean we can’t compare them to a Mitch McGov? Best to compare the current level of output and future potential output.

Btw, just because you don't agree with some discussions doesn't mean people's comments are of a damaged psyche nature. Might be time to do some self-reflection..

I’d play McAdam in McGovern’s spot. Stengle & Murphy fight it out for a small forward role.
Gallucci to spend some time across half forward with short rotations on ball.

I want to see Fogarty developed at CHB. He is big and strong, great in the air, uses the ball well. I can see him play similar to Michae Hurley. Then in a couple of years when Tex is getting past it, Fogarty can play forward.

HF McAdam Walker Lynch
FF Betts Jenkins Stengle/Murphy
Interchange Gallucci (fwd/mid)

Milera to spend time across half back and rotations on-ball.

I like most of that but what about Knight? Is he in your midfield rotation?

I can’t see Stengle playing much before Betts retires aside from a couple of games a year if injuries hit. He’s job is to get seriously fit and learn everything he can from Eddie before replacing Ed.

I like most of that but what about Knight? Is he in your midfield rotation?

I can’t see Stengle playing much before Betts retires aside from a couple of games a year if injuries hit. He’s job is to get seriously fit and learn everything he can from Eddie before replacing Ed.

Agree, but Knight hasnt shown he can play that role at all. Murphy has been more productive as a pressure forward. So Stengle only needs to outperform Murphy to get a game sooner than that. I am hearing mixed views on Stengle's speed. I think Murphy may have that going for him, because his defensive efforts off of a non AFL standard fitness base was extremely impressive last year. I am keen to see what Stengle can provide off the ball. Murphy will offer even more next season after another pre-season.

Looks a class above that mob. But he would want to. Griggs is a class above them and a class above the sanfl with 2 magareys and BOG with 6 goals in a losing gf. But still can’t crack the big time.

Point being , yeah he looks promising in that package. But could add up to absolutely nothing.
Which is what Grigg has turned out to be at AFL level. If Grigg still offered so much to AFL he'd now be on the GCS or Carlton's list. Maybe he gets a rookie spot for a side that needs a slow midfielder for depth if he's lucky.

You might not have noticed but Stengle is a small forward and 6 years younger also

Agree, but Knight hasnt shown he can play that role at all. Murphy has been more productive as a pressure forward. So Stengle only needs to outperform Murphy to get a game sooner than that. I am hearing mixed views on Stengle's speed. I think Murphy may have that going for him, because his defensive efforts off of a non AFL standard fitness base was extremely impressive last year. I am keen to see what Stengle can provide off the ball. Murphy will offer even more next season after another pre-season.
Murphy is underrated. His performances so far in his first AFL year has been quite effective. No reason why he can't take an even bigger step in 2019. He also gives the team a whole lot of flexibility with his pace and marking, and can play at either end of the ground and quite possibly make the transition to midfield as well. As far as natural forwards go, Stengle is probably the best small forward we currently have outside of Eddie.

Murphy is underrated. His performances so far in his first AFL year has been quite effective. No reason why he can't take an even bigger step in 2019. He also gives the team a whole lot of flexibility with his pace and marking, and can play at either end of the ground and quite possibly make the transition to midfield as well. As far as natural forwards go, Stengle is probably the best small forward we currently have outside of Eddie.

Agree that Murphy has huge upside. One of the benefits about this years disaster is that we got games into Murphy, Gallucci and Fogarty. All will be so much better for it. I thought Murphy's fitness was the thing that really held him back. When he was in the play, he was providing the type of forward pressure that we used to get out of Cameron. His tackling at times was something that sticks in my mind. Still remains to be seen if he has the quality to stay a best 22 player going forward, but he did his chances of an AFL future no harm at all this year. Thought we may have even upgraded him.

Calling Stengle the best small forward we have. Not sure what to make of that. Is that because he is pretty much the only small forward we have. I think Stengle is what he is, a promising rookie that was worth a pick in the 60s. Plenty of rookies and late picks have gone on to be superb players. But the odds are against him. He was a tidy get for us, but I have no genuine expectation that he will take over from Eddie Betts. If he does, then we have just pulled off the steal of this years trade period and nobody has even noticed.

Murphy may transition back next year allowing Laird into midfield. That would allow us to play Stengle in the forward half with Eddie, Tex, Stengle and a HFF line of Lynch, Jenkins and McAdams.

Rotating through will be Gallucci and Knight. Positions will be right, does that mean we will go into trade night and trade for pick 3 or do we aim for 4 top 20 picks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rate Murphy, has a great kick and great speed. Did really well just needs more faith shown in him this year. I myself would have traded Galluci this year while he had some currency as don’t think he’ll get much better. We could have used him to upgrade a pick

Murphy may transition back next year allowing Laird into midfield. That would allow us to play Stengle in the forward half with Eddie, Tex, Stengle and a HFF line of Lynch, Jenkins and McAdams.

Rotating through will be Gallucci and Knight. Positions will be right, does that mean we will go into trade night and trade for pick 3 or do we aim for 4 top 20 picks
I personally would no longer play Lynch Walker and Jenkins at the same time. Two talls up forward is plenty. The three together provide no forward pressure at all

Spot on.

Edit : Whoops, realised I just replied to my former self in agreement. Lol. campaigners a genius.

I personally would no longer play Lynch Walker and Jenkins at the same time. Two talls up forward is plenty. The three together provide no forward pressure at all
Wrong. They all play different roles.

Lynch is the highest for goal assists, and plays more like a forward flanker/wing.

Tex is slow and struggles to get to the contest unless the ball lands on his head. But he provides structure, and can kick a bomb and only needs a few opportunities a match to have an impact.

Jenkins is athletic, runs all day, up and down the ground, doesn't plonk himself in the square and not move like Tex and can handle most teams 2nd best or 3rd best defender, but remove Tex and hes playing against their best defender. That's not something we want to see .

Lynch is the highest for goal assists, and plays more like a forward flanker/wing.

Tex is slow and struggles to get to the contest unless the ball lands on his head. But he provides structure, and can kick a bomb and only needs a few opportunities a match to have an impact.

Jenkins is athletic, runs all day, up and down the ground, doesn't plonk himself in the square and not move like Tex and can handle most teams 2nd best or 3rd best defender, but remove Tex and hes playing against their best defender. That's not something we want to see .
??

Tex is one of the better runners in the team? Regularly works up the ground.

Weren't you all in on small forward lines, like richmond and hence the need not to play Hartigan ;)

Not with a bung foot he doesn't. Hopefully he gets over that this preseason and back to his best.
This is one thing that this board is absolutely NOTORIOUS for. They are all too quick to turn on players without actually looking at the reasons why. When Tex and Sauce come back to form next year watch them all suck up their ass like their are their best mates.

Tex played without a pre-season. He could not train during the week between games so that he could get out there on match day. Should he have played? Personally, i think he shouldn't have but it was the match committees call that he plays. I think it is more than a fair argument in whether the match committee made the right call or not. Personally, I think he shouldn't have played but...

Does that mean he is finished, worst captain in the competition, selfish all the crap that he has copped this year? No it doesn't but majority believe that it does.

People have written Jacobs off just like they have done EVERY time he has had a bad season in the past. Look at his history, he has a bad year about every 3rd season and then bounces back to being one fo the best ruckman in the AFL the following year. I am confident that he will have a pretty good year in 2019. It's a pattern with him. Would I love to have Grundy or Nic Nat or Gawn in my team? YES, but I would also be very comfortable in saying that a lot of the other AFL teams would love to have Sam Jacobs as their main ruckman and that includes a lot of finalists.

We have had one of those years where we have been savaged by injury. Some of it is bad luck and a good chunk of it is extremely bad management. The big question should be not whether those players are done, but whether our high performance and fitness department can sort their s**t out and put in a program that gets us fit and firing again with a low or manageable injury count.

People lose their s**t over losing McGovern and how he is a humongous loss. Do they realised that he missed 5 months of football across last two seasons not to mention all of his first year on our list? Our fortunes were NEVER dependent on McGovern. Don't get me wrong, I would rather have him than not have him but his loss is manageable.

We have a VERY VERY good list. If we can get the fitness and injury management part correct, along with rebuilding some of the fractured relationships, then we should be a top 4 side yet again next year and there at the pointy end of the season. We rely on our gun players just as much as other teams do. If we don't manage them properly the result is the season of 2018. Manage them right and you have 2017 on your hands.

Last edited:
??

Tex is one of the better runners in the team? Regularly works up the ground.
He has no second effort. He might cover ground, but once the ball hits the ground unless it bounces back to him he’s out of the play. If you don’t agree with that you’re watching a different player to me.

Weren't you all in on small forward lines, like richmond and hence the need not to play Hartigan ;)
Yep. Nothing wrong with our forward line though. Did I ever imply our forward line needed to change? No. I said our backline needed to change to deal with the mosquito fleet of other teams when we played teams that played like that and Hartigan shouldn’t be an instant starter.

That doesn’t mean we can’t have an effective forward line with 3 talls , if you consider lynch and Jenkins as stay at home forwards which I don’t anyway. Your drawing conclusions from unrelated issues.

Do you understand that now? Or ignored list for you?

He has no second effort. He might cover ground, but once the ball hits the ground unless it bounces back to him he’s out of the play. If you don’t agree with that you’re watching a different player to me.
His second efforts have nothing to fi with what you wrote in the first place. The fact that he just plonks himself in the forward 50 and stays there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back