List Mgmt. Welcome: Tyson Stengle, new Crow!

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 6, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can one of you avid SANFL watchers please tell me about his forward pressure?

Bicks Jeffcrowe Vhaluus Scorpus

Cheers!

I would liken him more to the Betts of 2/3 years ago type of pressure, rather than the Murphy manic pressure.
More about his ability to create scoring opportunities than defensive pressure, but a run down tackle not out of the question.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's a very safe bet at this point in time that McAdam will be in our round 1 lineup. Looks built to replace McGovern, especially with our desire to add much more forward 50 pressure to our lineup.

Wrong club...

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
He will be a future crows whipping boy. If he doesnt nail his 2 to 5 goal chances a week he wont do anything else. Lacks speed, low pressure and no tank.
Tank isn't a huge issue TBH.

Got enough tricks to not need huge speed but he is very very one way. It's the reason he's had to wait so long for a game.

He's a late 90s, early 00s type player. Will have a future, but like his mentor it'll take hard work.

maxlilly

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
over here
AFL Club
Adelaide
Really liked Stengle's game.
As has been mentioned, just seems to find the right spots.
3 goals for the night is a good start.
I thought his defensive work was also good.
I don't understand people thinking his tackling and pressure aren't up to standard

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Really liked Stengle's game.
As has been mentioned, just seems to find the right spots.
3 goals for the night is a good start.
I don't understand people thinking his tackling and pressure aren't up to standard
Especially people who talk it up like he can't even tackle! I remember in the second half seeing him do a tackle in our defensive end. Shows that he's willing to run the extra hard yards.

Would love to see him get more AFL games, to see if he can further himself and the forward scoring power.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
My take on Stengle so far. He's got good skills and excellent positioning. I was quite impressed with his field kicking. My main concern about him is he lacks explosive pace. I don't think he has the physical attributes to be the defensive pressure beast that Cameron was.

Also like Scorpus said, Gold Coast were an absolute rabble last night so I'm probably not going to read too much into it.

VictorianCrow85

Premiership Player
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can't get much of a read on him from last night though definitely needs to get another match against a real opponent. Probably needs a huge pre-season to lean down a fraction more before we'd see what his true ceiling is. Maybe being kept out will do him good - if he's the kind (that with some guidance from Eddie) can see there's a big off season needed to become a permanent feature of the side.

If he can bring some extra scoring power for us then we should keep him in as our inability to score against some sides is an area of concern and sometimes it's that underrated guy that the other side doesn't know that slips under the guard.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Loved to see this bloke get his first game, I've been high on him since his junior years and IMO he was really impressive. Was able to stay in the game somewhat through all four quarters, as well as chiming in with his three goals of course. Pressured well, too. Horrible opposition, but need to persist with him for the next few weeks

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
We need to play him, Murphy & Betts together. If he isn't going to do the defensive stuff to a high standard we need the others to do this.

I don't mind us doing this, we don't need huge defensive pressure from him if he is taking his chances and creating opportunities.

Must persist with for now.
It can also give the other forwards the extra boost in confidence knowing they have a genuine smart forward who can crumb the ball or position himself in the right spots. Last night's game, all the forwards did their role:
Betts - 6.1
Jenkins - 4.3
Stengle - 3.1
Tex - 3.0
Murphy - 2.0
Milera - 1.0

So the question really is: Did the forwards click as a unit because:
A. Suns were just purely crap?
B. Stengle gave the forwards a synergistic effect?
C. Both of the above
D. Other variables?

maxlilly

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
over here
AFL Club
Adelaide
Loved to see this bloke get his first game, I've been high on him since his junior years and IMO he was really impressive. Was able to stay in the game somewhat through all four quarters, as well as chiming in with his three goals of course. Pressured well, too. Horrible opposition, but need to persist with him for the next few weeks

Good call.
I remember you rating him in his draft year.
Has taken a little while to get there but showing some good signs now.

May 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
WWTFC,Chelsea,Glasgow Celtic,Lech Poznan
My take on Stengle so far. He's got good skills and excellent positioning. I was quite impressed with his field kicking. My main concern about him is he lacks explosive pace. I don't think he has the physical attributes to be the defensive pressure beast that Cameron was.

Also like Scorpus said, Gold Coast were an absolute rabble last night so I'm probably not going to read too much into it.

Your call is about right. What a game for his Crows debut. Poor Ben Davis had his against Geelong and was dropped. He would have had 30 touches last night. That being said Dougy would have done the same. Timing is important.

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
He will be a future crows whipping boy. If he doesnt nail his 2 to 5 goal chances a week he wont do anything else. Lacks speed, low pressure and no tank.
Yep, this I think. I was surprised at the lack of speed and lack of general spark.

Can certainly finish though, but can we get the ball into his hands often enough?

Going on one game of course, the poor guy, but doesn't seem to hunt enough for now and played a 'shy' game last night.

Looking forward to see what he can do though. I'm not sure he's quite ready yet. Last night was a goalfest so you'd expect him to be involved, especially because he gets to the right places. When the forward fifty entries dry up I'm not sure he's what we're needing right now.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide

When there is a chance to tackle, he can tackle just fine. However, he doesn't really seem to work all that hard to get those chances. There's no acceleration, there's no intensity in the chase. If he gets to a player, he'll tackle them, but that's about it.

There was a moment early in the game last night where he ran at a player, then seemed to just come to a stop and watch while the player ambled away from him. There were a few other times as well where he just seemed to lack intensity at the opponent. You can get away with that at the start of your career when other players don't really know who you are. Once they work out that you're not going to burst at them, they'll take advantage of it and teams will work through your man. If nothing else, you create implied pressure by chasing even if you're not going to catch someone.

He's probably a victim of small forwards now simply being expected to provide manic pressure. It's clearly not his thing. He's okay at it, but it's not a strength.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. It's only his third game, he might not have wanted to overextend himself early. But it was a knock on him when we got him and so far it seems accurate. Fortunately, he nailed his chances - he'll need to keep doing that if he doesn't develop other strings to his bow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back