News Welcome Tyson Stengle

Remove this Banner Ad

Just pointing out that it would be something done by the club to show their appreciation and inclusion for these two people … it’s not much but it might go a long way to show to Stengle and Betts that they are vaued

They're both getting a pay cheque. I'd say that's being extremely well valued to begin with.

Given Stengle's past - that seems to be completely overlooked by most of this board - he's unbelievably lucky to be on a list at all. That's way more than enough already.

About as sentimental as Melbourne were to us in the Prelim. Which is how it should be. It's top level sport. You can't handle that take a teaspoon of cement.
Bullseye.

GO Catters

It might mean something to both players,... just dont expect some to GAF about it.

I like the personal touches myself... adds the sentiment... but it wont change the WL column.

GO Catters

Doesn’t take much to make a welcoming culture …I’m sure everyone involves understands the cutthroat nature of the industry but geez …

It's like the quiet conversation that Stokes had with Bews when Jed was drafted in 2011 - he asked if Jed wanted to wear the same number as his dad which was politely declined as that was now Matt's number

It was a story that came out a few years after, and I think it shows a nice touch from both guys

We then have Simpson & Hawkins wear the same number as their dad's

As you said,it's a cutthroat industry, but that doesn't mean those little things don't matter

Some people have the capacity to see the value of sentiment in an elite team sport, and others don't.

The Stokes/Bews example shows the players do...

Why have jumper presentations...I mean they're all getting a pay cheque...... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
They're both getting a pay cheque. I'd say that's being extremely well valued to begin with.

Given Stengle's past - that seems to be completely overlooked by most of this board - he's unbelievably lucky to be on a list at all. That's way more than enough already.
Not sure he has done much worse than some of our recent most loved champions of the club….apart from getting caught that is.

About as sentimental as Melbourne were to us in the Prelim. Which is how it should be. It's top level sport. You can't handle that take a teaspoon of cement.

Gee, you're sooo hard 'bro'

s**t, why have inclusion at all? Just get rid of all those pesky community programs, or culture building exercises - they don't help us win games of footy anyway.

Do you hear yourself?

Probably a broader discussion that just Stengle. While I agree with the ideal of demanding professionalism, I also think that without sentiment what is the appeal, without the appeal to more than the just the logical, would any sport be more than just the elemental. For footy , kicking a bit of animal skin around on chunk of dirt and grass, trying to move it you way, while someone else tries to move it their way.

Every sport has to mean something, has to appeal to the emotions to some degree or its an inane activity that is at the end pointless. Its the emotion that drives the interest of any kid, that sleeps with the ball, or kicks a sock to him/herself in a hallway or drives the dreams to one day be the one on that chunk of dirt.

I do agree that once that emotion is harvested and formulated into a professional environment, the participants have to put aside and minimise their emotional input. Like a doctor not operating on their kin, if they don't control and be able to overcome emotion, then they probably will not be able to perform to their best.

Some do that better than others. We see player wearing the same socks, and jocks, eating their match meal and doing the same things, emotion can devolve into a professional ritualism. The mystical and the superstitious, the quirky and the bland. No matter the flavour, clubs generally only want one thing, performance. Clubs acknowledge that all players are fish of different smell and try to pander to individual peculiarities ... if they can ... and so often players are asked and consulted about ineffectual things. Like the number they wear.

I remember the great Tony Locket wanting a certain number when he went to Sydney, yet GA jr took a different number in three moves.Originally GA got offered 5 and took 29, Tom got offered 26 and snapped it up. All choices had emotional components.... yet does anyone really think that the number on their back allowed them to play as they have. The number did not mark the ball or kick it straight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some people have the capacity to see the value of sentiment in an elite team sport, and others don't.

Why have jumper presentations...I mean they're all getting a pay cheque...... :rolleyes:

The point is - if it isn't glaringly obvious - Betts never played for Geelong, and Stengle hasn't yet. If it was Adelaide different story, but it's not.

Should we celebrate other clubs' milestones too? That would make people feel better right?

Yes. Quite clearly.

You must have missed the part about it being top level competitive sport.

You must have missed the part about us being in the 21st century - not gladiators in the 2nd century.

It's a workplace, not just a 'top level competitive sport.' We have obligations these days to provide an environment that's inclusive to all. Yes they earn a paycheck, but they're not just robots dancing for our amusement. They're people. From different backgrounds, different areas, and even different countries.

If you think that all there is to our sport, is just game day itself - then you've got a narrow view of everything AFL offers to the broader community.

P.S. Even this forum itself is a conversational medium, that provides an outlet for people to get together and discuss anything at all - that's just one example of what footy, and by extension the players, offer us as members of wider society.

Last edited:
Probably a broader discussion that just Stengle. While I agree with the ideal of demanding professionalism, I also think that without sentiment what is the appeal, without the appeal to more than the just the logical, would any sport be more than just the elemental. For footy , kicking a bit of animal skin around on chunk of dirt and grass, trying to move it you way, while someone else tries to move it their way.

Every sport has to mean something, has to appeal to the emotions to some degree or its an inane activity that is at the end pointless. Its the emotion that drives the interest of any kid, that sleeps with the ball, or kicks a sock to him/herself in a hallway or drives the dreams to one day be the one on that chunk of dirt.

I do agree that once that emotion is harvested and formulated into a professional environment, the participants have to put aside and minimise their emotional input. Like a doctor not operating on their kin, if they don't control and be able to overcome emotion, then they probably will not be able to perform to their best.

Some do that better than others. We see player wearing the same socks, and jocks, eating their match meal and doing the same things, emotion can devolve into a professional ritualism. The mystical and the superstitious, the quirky and the bland. No matter the flavour, clubs generally only want one thing, performance. Clubs acknowledge that all players are fish of different smell and try to pander to individual peculiarities ... if they can ... and so often players are asked and consulted about ineffectual things. Like the number they wear.

I remember the great Tony Locket wanting a certain number when he went to Sydney, yet GA jr took a different number in three moves.Originally GA got offered 5 and took 29, Tom got offered 26 and snapped it up. All choices had emotional components.... yet does anyone really think that the number on their back allowed them to play as they have. The number did not mark the ball or kick it straight.

Good sociological analysis - and well said :)

Why cheers for them, they don't need the encouragement on gameday, they are getting a pay cheque....
Typical black and... no only black, viewpoint of narrow minded people.

Stuff all this jumper numbers nonsense.

The real issue with Stengle is that, given his past problems, he's a high risk investment for a potentially medium to high return.
Low risk. On a low salary and did not cost a draft pick. Expectations are low and if he fails the general public won't care as the narrative will be we gave a troubled indigenous player a chance. Medium reward, could become a top 15-20 player on our list.

Stuff all this jumper numbers nonsense.

The real issue with Stengle is that, given his past problems, he's a high risk investment for a potentially medium to high return.
He’s on what, $1-200k? Free agent. Not really high risk unless he gets back on the drugs but with Eddie there doubt that will happen.

Not sure it's been overlooked by anyone, let alone the club. He's f**ked up, almost ruined his career, put his head down and played well in the SANFL and has been given a final chance to make it at AFL level. It's now up to him to do it. He'll be on a low wage and it's a relative low risk move for a potential huge return.

It's like the quiet conversation that Stokes had with Bews when Jed was drafted in 2011 - he asked if Jed wanted to wear the same number as his dad which was politely declined as that was now Matt's number

It was a story that came out a few years after, and I think it shows a nice touch from both guys

We then have Simpson & Hawkins wear the same number as their dad's

As you said,it's a cutthroat industry, but that doesn't mean those little things don't matter

And of course Gazza Junior wearing 29 and then 4 instead of his old man's 5. I wouldn't understate the value of 'sport superstition' and other kinds of ritual in player preparation though - even if there's no scientific basis in reality for it a player wearing unwashed 'lucky jocks' for three months straight might be just enough of a powerful psychological boost for that player to believe that no other player can touch him while wearing them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back