News Welcome Tyson Stengle

Remove this Banner Ad

The point is - if it isn't glaringly obvious - Betts never played for Geelong, and Stengle hasn't yet. If it was Adelaide different story, but it's not.

Should we celebrate other clubs' milestones too? That would make people feel better right?

Like I said...Some people have the capacity to see the value of sentiment in an elite team sport, and others don't.

Stuff all this jumper numbers nonsense.

The real issue with Stengle is that, given his past problems, he's a high risk investment for a potentially medium to high return.

I mean hes only a high risk investment if you consider the PR impacts if he has more off field issues. In terms of purely the football side he cosr us no draft picks and probably is on low wages so its a low cost investment for potentially much better return.

Don't know anything about the guy, but if he is giving everything he has, like TK did to get to the bigs, then good on him and good for us. I'll take that sort of effort anytime. Sometimes that attitude is catching and a lesson to some of the youngsters.
AND if he can consciously or subconsciously squeeze out a fraction of a percent in performance because he likes the number he has, then :thumbsupv1:

And of course Gazza Junior wearing 29 and then 4 instead of his old man's 5. I wouldn't understate the value of 'sport superstition' and other kinds of ritual in player preparation though - even if there's no scientific basis in reality for it a player wearing unwashed 'lucky jocks' for three months straight might be just enough of a powerful psychological boost for that player to believe that no other player can touch him while wearing them.
No other player will want to touch him. It's scientific.

I think he might find the goals, but I just hope he doesn't let his opponent off the leash. That's my only concern with this player. If his defensive work is great, then I think he will be handy player.

If Tom Stewart had been drafted at the same age as Stengle, he too would have been considered a dangerous pick later on. As it is some people take longer to mature and it looks like Stengle is one. Not to say he can be as good as Stewart only that Stengle shouldn't be judged on the opportunity he threw away. He has worked hard to get back, and that is what I would judge him on

If Tom Stewart had been drafted at the same age as Stengle, he too would have been considered a dangerous pick later on. As it is some people take longer to mature and it looks like Stengle is one. Not to say he can be as good as Stewart only that Stengle shouldn't be judged on the opportunity he threw away. He has worked hard to get back, and that is what I would judge him on

You're so wrong!

If you're not Selwood or Walsh in year 1 you're no good!

Definitely have room for Stengle, Close and Miers in our forward line. Perfect compliment to our talls Hawkins and Cameron, then leaving the last forward spot to a rotating player (eg. Esava, Danger). We are the masters of the mature aged recruit, every other AFL club knows this; it represents top value with minimal risk.
Do you see room in the side for Rohan or is that Esava / Dangers spot now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The below is from NewsCorp (NT News/Geelong Advertiser). I hope the club tells Betts to pump the brakes on the Stengle hype. Maybe he can kick 30 goals but with what's happened over his past few years he doesn't need any added pressure. Not to mention the most goals he's kicked in a season is 8 and he's no certainty to be best 22 come round 1.

Geelong assistant coach Eddie Betts says new recruit Tyson Stengle can kick 30 goals a season

Geelong’s boom recruit Tyson Stengle once had a “chip on his shoulder” but is now poised to slot 30 goals a season according to the “older brother figure” mentor guiding him along at the Cats.

Ben Cameron and Nathaniel Chambers

February 2, 2022 - 6:00AM

New Geelong forward Tyson Stengle once had a “chip on his shoulder” but is now poised to produce 30 goals a season, Cats assistant coach and “older brother figure” of the troubled former Crow, Eddie Betts says.

Betts said Stengle, who was picked up by the Cats as a free agent last year following a standout 2021 season with SANFL premiers Woodville-West Torrens, had been “training the house down” so far.

Stengle was sacked by the Adelaide Crows in March last year following a number of off-field indiscretions, including drink driving and possession of an illicit substance.

Betts said his protege appeared fitter than ever but new challenges loomed at Kardinia Park.

“I think (Geelong is) crying out for a cult figure who can go down (forward) and kick 30 goals. I think Tyson can be that player,” Betts said.

“He needs to prove everyone wrong that he can still play. And I believe he’ll do it.”

Betts said he was confident Stengle could overcome “a few off field issues”, be a key Cat over the next decade and essentially “change his life around”.

“He kind of had a chip on his shoulder,” he said.

“(But) at the moment he’s training the house down.”

Betts said he would be an “older brother figure” for Stengle, who was selected by Richmond with pick six in the 2017 AFL Rookie Draft before being traded to Adelaide in 2018.

“I’ll be here to look after him and care for him, and try to send him on the right path,” he said.

“But it’s up to him … to make those lifestyle changes and prove people wrong. He’s here to change his life around.”

Betts said Stengle appeared “a lot fitter” and his best footy was ahead of him.

“I’m confident he will have an impact … but he has to trust in his ability and work hard,” he said.

“He’s got to work his butt off.”

In a curious parallel, Betts said the 23-year-old Stengle was at the same stage of his career when he was almost sacked by Carlton.

“I was locked up,” he said.

“I almost lost my job, I got arrested in the CBD (in December, 2009) for being drunk and disorderly.

“At that age I almost lost my career but that’s when I turned my life around, the same age Tyson is now.

“I found out the hard way that talent can only take you so far, you have to work your arse off.

“AFL is not an easy sport to play. It’s tough physically and mentally, there’s a lot of scrutiny that comes with it.”

Meanwhile, Betts said he had been very impressed with the Cats’ “unselfish” culture, just three weeks into his new role.

“I actually wish I was playing for them,” he said with a laugh.

“Everyone wants to get better.

“You thrive off it. There’s no ‘I’ down there, it’s all about ‘we’. It’s so unselfish.”

He also said it was a “bit weird” to now be a coach and sit on the “other side of the fence”.

The below is from NewsCorp (NT News/Geelong Advertiser). I hope the club tells Betts to pump the brakes on the Stengle hype. Maybe he can kick 30 goals but with what's happened over his past few years he doesn't need any added pressure. Not to mention the most goals he's kicked in a season is 8 and he's no certainty to be best 22 come round 1.

Maybe what he actually needs is people out in his corner saying how good he is and showing there's a bit of belief - that confidence boost might be the driver

I actually don't mind it. Bets spends time with Tyson so he knows what he can handle. I'll take it as a great sign

30 goals Isnt enough for a foward pocket. Betts is underplaying it. In his role he needs to be aiming for 2 goals a game.

I think he could well kick 30 or so in year one, from what I have seen he has more goal kicking ability than most of our smalls... sustaining his effort and professionalism is more of a question. At 23 , one can only hope that he sees that it could go away if he doesnt make the most of it this time.

30 goals from Stengle would be a very good but not exceptional return, I don't think Betts highlighting that as a possibility is placing too much pressure and expectation on Stengle.

To put it context, the small/medium players who kicked 30+ last year were Fritsch, C Cameron, Papley, Greene, Stringer, Pickett, McCarthy, Heeney, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Breust, Rohan, Bailey and Zurhaar. In context like that, hyping Stengle as the next Charlie C or Greene may be a bridge too far but I don't think hoping he can match the output of Linc McCarthy or Gary Rohan is asking too much...

Maybe what he actually needs is people out in his corner saying how good he is and showing there's a bit of belief - that confidence boost might be the driver

"How good he is" - is he good? He was a good SANFL player last year, is he a good AFL player? Betts said in the article Stengle had a chip on his shoulder, the last thing he needs is more people telling him how good he is, especially when he's done nothing to justify it.

30 goals from Stengle would be a very good but not exceptional return, I don't think Betts highlighting that as a possibility is placing too much pressure and expectation on Stengle.

To put it context, the small/medium players who kicked 30+ last year were Fritsch, C Cameron, Papley, Greene, Stringer, Pickett, McCarthy, Heeney, McDonald-Tipungwuti, Breust, Rohan, Bailey and Zurhaar. In context like that, hyping Stengle as the next Charlie C or Greene may be a bridge too far but I don't think hoping he can match the output of Linc McCarthy or Gary Rohan is asking too much...
Pretty broad comparison, in my opinion. Here are their heights:

Ht (cm)Player
192Stringer
189Zurhaar
188Fritsch, Rohan
184Heeney, Breust
183Cameron
182Bailey
181Greene
178Papley
177McCarthy
172Stengle
171McDonald-Tipungwuti, Pickett

Stengle is significantly shorter than most on that list. And he doesn't have the marking ability of most of them, especially not Heeney, Greene, Fritsch, Rohan, Stringer, even McCarthy.

"How good he is" - is he good? He was a good SANFL player last year, is he a good AFL player? Betts said in the article Stengle had a chip on his shoulder, the last thing he needs is more people telling him how good he is, especially when he's done nothing to justify it.

Sorry that I didn't word for word express my thoughts.

People in his corner saying how good they think he is.

It's called encouragement.

Sorry that I didn't word for word express my thoughts.

People in his corner saying how good they think he is.

It's called encouragement.

My point is he's being massively overhyped as it is. He kicked 40 goals in the SANFL. Brett Eddy kicked 76 in the SANFL before he was drafted by Port, he played three AFL games before being delisted with just three goals to his name. Very different players, but it's representative of the gap between the two leagues.

Stengle will be a role player at best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back