Toast Welcome Will Brodie

Remove this Banner Ad

His form as a replacement for Cerra (and only 1 year younger) is one of the reasons why our progress up the ladder has not been disrupted. I was concerned that losing Cerra would put us back a year. We effectively replaced Cerra without disruption and added a couple of future young guns into the midfield mix. Also allowed us to use a top 10 pick on KPF for the first time since Pav.

The Will Brodie selection (free hit essentially) and the sliding down the draft order of Walker (using the pick we traded Jesse Hogan for) has more than made up for the Jesse Hogan trade disaster.

I also imagine Justin used Jesse in his first season as coach to help establish his preferred forward structure.

Will Brodie’s development and form this year is beyond expectations and just astounding really.
The 6th of October 2021 should go down as the greatest trading day in Fremantle's history. On that day we traded a pick currently 35 and a future 4th rounder to Gold Coast for pick 19, 61, 69 and Will Brodie. To make the trade even better Gold Cast also agreed to pay $200,000 of the Brodie contract in 2022. We then traded Cerra for picks 6 and a future third.

The end result from those trades looks beyond outstanding now. As a result of the Gold Coast trade we not only got a deadset gun mid in Brodie but we drafted Johnson and used the later picks to acquire Benning.

The Cerra trade allowed us to draft a super talented forward in Amiss while the third rounder was used as part of the Clark trade with a future Geelong 4th coming back that has yet to be used. Imagine if we nail that pick too.

Thanks for the info on the Hogan trade as I didn't know we got Walker with the pick acquired.That lessens the impact of what seemed like a disaster at the time Hogan was traded. It's early days but I think Walker could end up being in the top half a dozen or so players in his draft year. His athleticism is unique and not many second year players are good enough to play on elite forwards like Charlie Cameron.

The 6th of October 2021 should go down as the greatest trading day in Fremantle's history. On that day we traded a pick currently 35 and a future 4th rounder to Gold Coast for pick 19, 61, 69 and Will Brodie. To make the trade even better Gold Cast also agreed to pay $200,000 of the Brodie contract in 2022. We then traded Cerra for picks 6 and a future third.

The end result from those trades looks beyond outstanding now. As a result of the Gold Coast trade we not only got a deadset gun mid in Brodie but we drafted Johnson and used the later picks to acquire Benning.

The Cerra trade allowed us to draft a super talented forward in Amiss while the third rounder was used as part of the Clark trade with a future Geelong 4th coming back that has yet to be used. Imagine if we nail that pick too.

Thanks for the info on the Hogan trade as I didn't know we got Walker with the pick acquired.That lessens the impact of what seemed like a disaster at the time Hogan was traded. It's early days but I think Walker could end up being in the top half a dozen or so players in his draft year. His athleticism is unique and not many second year players are good enough to play on elite forwards like Charlie Cameron.
Quite likely. Will be interesting to compare to the McCarthy trade.

Quite likely. Will be interesting to compare to the McCarthy trade.
The Cam McCarthy trade offer that we made when he was still contacted was the best trade we never did. GWS knocking us back and Tim Kelly rejecting our trade offer were the two best trades that didnt happen so to speak.

Last edited:
The Cam McCarthy trade offer that we made when he was still contacted was the best trade we never did. GWS knocking us back and Tim Kelly rejecting our trade offer were the two best trades that didnt happen so to speak.
That's true. Jonathan Hay deserves a mention. And struggling for a name.... a ruck/forward pinched from us at the 11th hour.... can I buy a vowel?

Have been really disappointed with the way the Suns managed Will.

in 2018 when we were struggling with injuries he finally got his shot on ball and had a month stretch where he was ranked #1 in the AFL for centre clearances over 5 weeks. Hurt his hamstring 2 weeks later but still finished the season #7 in centre clearances for 2018.

Basically never got given a go in the middle for us again, despite being an inside midfielder. Kept getting replaced by other players Dew was bringing in like Lyons, Greenwood, Rowell etc. had a few games where he was parked in a forward pocked or was a substitute over the last two years but I wouldn't worry about those.

At his best he's a clearance beast midfielder who can burst out of a pack, but without that top level speed to run the ball on the outside. He rotates forward just fine during the game and he racks up tackles in the contest as well as anyone. His disposal is nothing special but he's hardly a turnover merchant. Could pretty comfortably average 25+ possessions.

What he lacks is positional versatility. You can't park him at half back, and he's an average half-forward. Think Patrick Cripps or JPK upside.

I am really confident this is going to be another Jarryd Lyons trade for us and you guys will be absolutely laughing. The kid is super talented but just wasn't getting the opportunities he deserved with us.

good luck for 2022.
The 74 likes on this one have to be a board record, good work team.

Sorry SnusCG, looks like your fears were correct. At least Dew has got your guys purring and I really think you could slide into your maiden finals campaign. We should have some great battles over the next decade I hope

The 74 likes on this one have to be a board record, good work team.

Sorry SnusCG, looks like your fears were correct. At least Dew has got your guys purring and I really think you could slide into your maiden finals campaign. We should have some great battles over the next decade I hope
I’m mad and I’m not.

I watched a lot of NEAFL the last few years and it was so obvious he was so far above the level, but no matter what stat line he put up he would get a sub vest or parked at half forward in games we got spanked by 100 and then dropped the next week.

Was never an issue of talent or even work ethic for Will, it was just how he was being utilised by Dew. Think I summed it up well at the time. Crazy good at his clearance work - honestly top 5 in the AFL, but just doesn’t have a great running capacity which limited him positionally. Longmuir figured out a way to make the most with what he had where Dew couldnt.

Will always be a guy I’ll be stoked to see play well after he left.

Congrats on your season to date btw. I’ve watched a lot of Fremantle this year partly to see Brodie play partly because you guys are playing great footy. If we don’t make finals this year, I’ll be firmly on the Flagmantle bandwagon.

I’m mad and I’m not.

I watched a lot of NEAFL the last few years and it was so obvious he was so far above the level, but no matter what stat line he put up he would get a sub vest or parked at half forward in games we got spanked by 100 and then dropped the next week.

Was never an issue of talent or even work ethic for Will, it was just how he was being utilised by Dew. Think I summed it up well at the time. Crazy good at his clearance work - honestly top 5 in the AFL, but just doesn’t have a great running capacity which limited him positionally. Longmuir figured out a way to make the most with what he had where Dew couldnt.

Will always be a guy I’ll be stoked to see play well after he left.

Congrats on your season to date btw. I’ve watched a lot of Fremantle this year partly to see Brodie play partly because you guys are playing great footy. If we don’t make finals this year, I’ll be firmly on the Flagmantle bandwagon.
P.S if you guys want another absolute steal that isn’t being played correctly and keeps getting dropped, Brayden Fiorini would be averaging 25+ and a goal in any other AFL team.

P.S if you guys want another absolute steal that isn’t being played correctly and keeps getting dropped, Brayden Fiorini would be averaging 25+ and a goal in any other AFL team.
Is Sharp likely to look at other options? I was a fan in his draft year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Sharp likely to look at other options? I was a fan in his draft year.
Wouldn’t have thought so. Dew is a big fan, and he seems to be very settled on the Coast. Been a little bit in and out of the side this year but I don’t get the impression he’s on the outer.

Players of ours that have upside that I would be looking at if I were another list manager would be Fiorini, Flanders, and Sexton, who all seem to be out of favour this year.

Mongrel Punt Recruit of the Year:

"He finished the home and away season ranked tenth in clearances, 11th in disposals, tenth in effective disposals, and 19th in tackles."

Awesome numbers from Will Brodie.
Has played at a consistently high level all year, might have even gone up a level the last few games.

Mongrel Punt Recruit of the Year:

Good article, Jordan Clark third just to round things off for the Freo recruitment process.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back