Toast Welcome Will Brodie

Remove this Banner Ad

here’s hoping that he unlocks his talent at a new home, we’re bound to hit on one of these eventually. Always good to add another player who barracked for us as a kid and loved Barlow

Big fan of this move. Was quite bullish on Brodie in his draft year but hindsight says glad we went with Logue instead. Now... We've got both.

Nice free hit. Way better option than Acres.

Get him working alongside Bray, Serong, Fyfe and Mundy and show him what's required at the top level. Lets go :thumbsu:

Will's VFL stats from this year. Got a bit of the pill at that level. Not sure about his "position" though, 41 disposals and 10 tackles from full bac k seems suspicious.
Screenshot_20211007-074121_Chrome.jpg

Reckon he couldbe developed into a Josh Carr type? Good defensive edge allowing Fyfe, Serong, Baeshaw and Mundy to get to work.

"The main issue for Brodie over the years has been the inability to ensure consistent contests and being able to see the game through, something he strived to change this pre-season.

"I've never been a gifted aerobic runner," Brodie told AFL.com.au.

"It's something that's always been on the list to work on.
"Over the off-season we targeted that and narrowed the focus to get it as good as possible.
"We came up with a plan and I cut four or five kilos off.
"We ran over the off-season heaps. It was the main focus for me. To come back and get a good result was good reward for that effort."
The midfielder found himself in stiff competition last year with Hugh Greenwood and Matt Rowell joining the team, as well as skipper Dave Swallow and Touk Miller already solidifying their spots in the midfield.
Coach Stuart Dew wants Brodie to be able to be interchangeable, like a Ben Ainsworth, capable of being an onballer and a significant forward player.

"My body has matured a lot," Brodie said.

"I feel like I'm able to back up sessions more, I'm able to train at a higher intensity than I could my first few years.

"Making the decision to cut weight has really helped. I haven't been this light since I was 18 or 19.

"Carrying less weight around has been a tough thing to do but a great decision.

"It's just been a calorie-counting, nutrition thing. I've lost a bit of muscle, but I've lost a bit of fat as well. I've sacrificed that bit of size to improve my ability to run."

Brodie's career average disposals currently sits at 19, with tackles at 4.9 and kicks an average of 8.2.

Brodie has acknowledged his frustrations about his the last few seasons but is hoping to continue to build in 2021 with a team he has connected with and feels apart of.

"I love it here. I haven't played a lot of games, but I feel as a player I've continued to develop and improve," he said."

https://www.zerohanger.com/hopefull...n-taking-major-steps-ahead-of-2021-afl-71787/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On paper it's an excellent trade for both clubs. I'm comfortable that he is a hard worker and meticulous at training, he's of an age where his best football years should be about to start. He's a solid build and not a starry eyed yoof anymore, he'll be part of the fix to the issue that we had for many games this year, of the opposition playing physical off the ball and trying to intimidate the younger team.

I'm hoping that he becomes a solid contributor in the b22 for us and can give us 5-10 years of service.

No Brainer , We get three picks and Brodie and only give two back . So if I am working this out correctly we get the player plus change .
Sure we are going to be paying his salary for is it one or two years more?
Welcome Will I wish you the best .

Really wanted him instead of Logue in his draft year, I don’t rate Gold Coast too highly when it comes to developing midfield talent so I’m excited with what Freo and Will can do to get him to be the player he was projected to be.

Welcome Brodes!

Have been really disappointed with the way the Suns managed Will.

in 2018 when we were struggling with injuries he finally got his shot on ball and had a month stretch where he was ranked #1 in the AFL for centre clearances over 5 weeks. Hurt his hamstring 2 weeks later but still finished the season #7 in centre clearances for 2018.

Basically never got given a go in the middle for us again, despite being an inside midfielder. Kept getting replaced by other players Dew was bringing in like Lyons, Greenwood, Rowell etc. had a few games where he was parked in a forward pocked or was a substitute over the last two years but I wouldn't worry about those.

At his best he's a clearance beast midfielder who can burst out of a pack, but without that top level speed to run the ball on the outside. He rotates forward just fine during the game and he racks up tackles in the contest as well as anyone. His disposal is nothing special but he's hardly a turnover merchant. Could pretty comfortably average 25+ possessions.

What he lacks is positional versatility. You can't park him at half back, and he's an average half-forward. Think Patrick Cripps or JPK upside.

I am really confident this is going to be another Jarryd Lyons trade for us and you guys will be absolutely laughing. The kid is super talented but just wasn't getting the opportunities he deserved with us.

good luck for 2022.

Last edited:
From a pick point of view this is completely in line with our standard practice of trading back into the draft by spending future picks.
I always feel that this ham strings future trades and so as a rule I don't like it. I can't complain about this trade however. It seems very positive for us.

From a pick point of view this is completely in line with our standard practice of trading back into the draft by spending future picks.
I always feel that this ham strings future trades and so as a rule I don't like it. I can't complain about this trade however. It seems very positive for us.
Next year's draft looks good (as it always does) and I am disappointed to have traded our 2nd. Holding our 1st is critical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back