Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

Remove this Banner Ad

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
We are really building a list of small to medium forwards as we have Papley, Dawson and now Hayward. If all three make it then it is going to be an interesting forward setup.

In two years our forward line could consist of Buddy, Rohan, Papley, Dawson & Hayward....

what does this mean for Rose?

There are a few spots up for grabs from our grand final team McGlynn, XR (Not to mention Titch that played forward a lot). A fit S. Reid comes in, but there are opportunities if the players want them.

Seen a bit of this kid.
He should have gone earlier IMO.

We'll see how he steps up to the next level. Hope he can & does. If so, we got away with an absolute steal here.

See him in the Adelaide comp or @ the nationals? Or both? If Adelaide, I have a couple of questions

Not that I was really taking too much notice but have seen him @ both.

I was just more curious at the standard of the South Australian u/18s competition. I know Hayward dominated the finals to go higher up the draft boards, but are the performances negated a bit due to the level of competition? That's in regards to the number of South Australians drafted compared to a potential draftee dominating a game in the TAC cup for example as there are a lot of draftees.

I was just more curious at the standard of the South Australian u/18s competition. I know Hayward dominated the finals to go higher up the draft boards, but are the performances negated a bit due to the level of competition? That's in regards to the number of South Australians drafted compared to a potential draftee dominating a game in the TAC cup for example as there are a lot of draftees.
Oh yeah. The cream rises at nationals / state level IMO. However it's not a bad U18 comp over here by any standards I reckon. The SANFL has been fairly high quality the last few years IMHO and probably reflects that next generation of "professionals" the last decade or so filtering through the system (Maccas cup etc). More athletes & much more competition for spots, even at those lower levels just fighting to be on a list let alone play reserves.

The reason for the dominance of TAC cup or Vic draftees may be that it's just the majority of teams & recruiters are in VIC?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

class78

All Australian
Jun 19, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
mad the crows didn't pick him up. really wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be the best player from the draft. absolute gun.

Like this anecdote by Kinnear.

What Kin says: Will came on really well late in the year, and his finals series for North Adelaide in the under 18's was quite spectacular as a medium forward. We challenged him in an interview during the year about his endurance and we were pleased to hear that as soon as he left he'd organised a personal trainer. It told us how much he wanted to be drafted.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Players of his type (Medium forward) are so underrated just because the player has little midfield capacity and isn't a KPF. Hayward is quite a decent bargain at 21. I'd argue similar players like Darling/Breust/Wingard can often single handedly win a game for the team.

Dan87

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Players of his type (Medium forward) are so underrated just because the player has little midfield capacity and isn't a KPF. Hayward is quite a decent bargain at 21. I'd argue similar players like Darling/Breust/Wingard can often single handedly win a game for the team.

Believe he was a midfielder at u14/u16 level. Didn't have the endurance or kgs to play there as he went up and then draft year came. Dare say he'll be a pretty complete player after a few preseasons.

Watch this space.

Grongey

Cancelled
Jan 8, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Hayward seems to have a complete game - mark, kick, tackle, disposal. And seems athletic into the bargain.

The second efforts really stood out in the highlights. This looks a good drafting. If endurance was an issue, that will soon be sorted out by our trainers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back