News Welcome Zane Williams

Remove this Banner Ad

I like that even more now!

Yeah, I was the same when you look at the headline stats in SANFL seniors, but if you look at his U18 stats where presumably he was playing high half forward and midfielder, and he was getting big numbers and banging goals.

Avg 20 touches, 1.6 goals, 80% DE, 4.4 tackles, 3.6 clearances, Avg Ranking 97pts. That's juicy - if he can ever graduate to midfield again.

He also averaged 4 free for in that season, one game he had 7, which indicates he doesn't mind putting his head over it.

OK!!... another small forward.... mmm?
That makes 10 small forwards on the list.
Miers Close Stengle Rohan Dempsey Evans Simpson Dahlhaus Higgins Williams
Perhaps Scott finally realized, the defensive forwards experiment, has failed.
When defensive forwards pose no scoring threat, it allows opponent to dictate terms.
Releasing them to play the lose man role and to double team key forwards.
Dangerous goal kicking forwards need to be manned, freeing the KPF to contest 1 on 1.
Zane's highlights show he is dangerous near goal with quality midfield potential.
Players that regularly hit the scoreboard will always get a game ahead of less threating players.
Dahlhaus and Higgins are done. Simpson, Evans, Narkle and Parfitt should be worried.
A squad of fast, skilled and creative small players roaming the ground is a smart strategic move.
The opposition cannot cover them all...Imagine a team with a number of Toby Green's

OK!!... another small forward.... mmm?
That makes 10 small forwards on the list.
Miers Close Stengle Rohan Dempsey Evans Simpson Dahlhaus Higgins Williams
Perhaps Scott finally realized, the defensive forwards experiment, has failed.
When defensive forwards pose no scoring threat, it allows opponent to dictate terms.
Releasing them to play the lose man role and to double team key forwards.
Dangerous goal kicking forwards need to be manned, freeing the KPF to contest 1 on 1.
Zane's highlights show he is dangerous near goal with quality midfield potential.
Players that regularly hit the scoreboard will always get a game ahead of less threating players.
Dahlhaus and Higgins are done. Simpson, Evans, Narkle and Parfitt should be worried.
A squad of fast, skilled and creative small players roaming the ground is a smart strategic move.
The opposition cannot cover them all...Imagine a team with a number of Toby Green's
Since when is Rohan a small forward?

He's a 189cm making target that plays as a third tall option behind Hawkins & Cameron

And Simpson is a midfielder more than a forward.
I'd suggest that all of Dahlhaus, Higgins & Simpson play more of a high half forward role, working up into the midfield and even as part of the midfield rotation, rather than being "traditional small forwards"

Watching how they play:
  • Stengle = small forward
  • Miers = at his best as a small forward, but they like him working up the field
  • Close = started as a small forward, but looks like he could offer more than just that
  • Dempsey = a bit too early to tell where he'll end up

Since when is Rohan a small forward?

He's a 189cm making target that plays as a third tall option behind Hawkins & Cameron
OK... we have 9 small forwards on the list.
Rohan adds diversity and will also be assisted by dangerous small forwards.

OK... we have 9 small forwards on the list.
Rohan adds diversity and will also be assisted by dangerous small forwards.
More like 3 or 4 along the lines of what you'd call a "traditional small forward"

Of the 10 players you names, I wouldn't call half of them small forwards, at not in the sense of what you think of when you're talking about small forwards

More like 3 or 4 along the lines of what you'd call a "traditional small forward"

Of the 10 players you names, I wouldn't call half of them small forwards, at not in the sense of what you think of when you're talking about small forwards
I reckon there are 8 but not all there to kick goals or if they are they're there failing badly.

Last edited:

Agree. I genuinely can see close moving into midfield in 2023 or 2024 and Zane will either be more flexible or wont work out. Frank we just have to see what he can do.

Dempsey I think will develop through the middle of the ground (or at worst a high half forward) over time. Interesting they really tried to play him in the Rohan role (mid hybrid forward) which I think he might one day be able to do (rumour is that he will end up ~188cm given he didnt start growing until 17) but he needs another 10kg and to start to use his speed (which we have started to see in glimpses over last 2 weeks). He doesnt seem to have confidence yet in his fitness to use what he has

Stengle and Miers are really I think the only truely limited small forwards (with miers they have to accept sacrificing his tank as it is outweighed by his lack of penetration you need up the ground)

And of course I ignored Dal and Higgins as I have already assumed they won’t be here in 2023!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. I genuinely can see close moving into midfield in 2023 or 2024 and Zane will either be more flexible or wont work out. Frank we just have to see what he can do.

Dempsey I think will develop through the middle of the ground (or at worst a high half forward) over time. Interesting they really tried to play him in the Rohan role (mid hybrid forward) which I think he might one day be able to do (rumour is that he will end up ~188cm given he didnt start growing until 17) but he needs another 10kg and to start to use his speed (which we have started to see in glimpses over last 2 weeks). He doesnt seem to have confidence yet in his fitness to use what he has

Stengle and Miers are really I think the only truely limited small forwards (with miers they have to accept sacrificing his tank as it is outweighed by his lack of penetration you need up the ground)

And of course I ignored Dal and Higgins as I have already assumed they won’t be here in 2023!!
Miers' tank is still pretty useful as a small forward - his time on ground goes up and there is still a huge amount of ground to cover as a small forward. When the ball is in the defensive 50, most of our forwards move up into the defensive half.

I don't actually think there's any such thing as the traditional small forward anymore you will see Charlie Cameron picking up possessions in the back half if required.Fritsch gets up high as well and beyond the centre.

I reckon there are 8 but not all there to kick goals or if they are they're there failing badly.

I don't think of Dahlhaus, Higgins or Simpson as your traditional type small forwards, as they don't often seem to be selected to play a role that has them predominately up forward, rather more a hybrid high half forward/midfield role

I don't actually think there's any such thing as the traditional small forward anymore you will see Charlie Cameron picking up possessions in the back half if required.Fritsch gets up high as well and beyond the centre.

Totally agree you pick one - the traditional stay at home fast twitch small forward has been replaced with more an endurance player who can get up and down the ground , added bonus is if you have speed and goal sense.
They all do it now - Green , Cosi P , C Cameron , Gray , McCarthy......
Even Hawk regularly goes well over 10kms per game these days.

They are all named as forwards on the GFC website.
They are all named on the forward line when selected
They all play mostly in the forward half.

You are also proving my argument that they are not traditional small forwards....
It's not about the traditional position, as all modern players run forward and back, but, that they are dangerous around goals
It's not about how many possessions they get around the ground, it they don't kick goals.
Thus they are not as effective / valuable to the team as goal kicking small forwards, that also run forward and back.
ie: A forwards primary function is to kick goals. Dangerous goal kicking forwards effectively reduce double teaming on KPF.

Last edited:
Whilst we are taking namesakes, rhyming names etc, hopefully this one’s better than Shane Williams circa mid 80’s.

I was trying to think of that bloke - when other posters mentioned had we had a another Zane

But he was shocking - allways wore his socks down - was slow - no penetration in his kicking at all - originally from Punt Rd - that says it all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back