Strategy "We'll be going very, very aggressively at free agency from 2016."

Remove this Banner Ad

In my opinion...
$4.75M - $5.0M for 5 years with small performance bonuses is what Dusty will get.
Fyfe would command $6.25M - $6.5M over 5 years if he was to move clubs. (Provided he's back to full fitness and form)
St Kilda are not a charity either, even though both players are restricted FA if there's a way to price out their respective clubs then we will do it.

With Kelly and Shiel now looking like staying I wonder which young mid we focus on now?

Here's my mate Jacob:
images

In my opinion...
$4.75M - $5.0M for 5 years with small performance bonuses is what Dusty will get.
Fyfe would command $6.25M - $6.5M over 5 years if he was to move clubs. (Provided he's back to full fitness and form)
St Kilda are not a charity either, even though both players are restricted FA if there's a way to price out their respective clubs then we will do it.

With Kelly and Shiel now looking like staying I wonder which young mid we focus on now?

If we could snap up one of the big two via FA we have a lot of currency for one of those two but if they sign on, there aren't a lot of other options worth going for. A Hopper type wouldnt improve us enough to justify pushing some of our young talent put, would rather hit the draft.

If Jack Martin were available I would be all ears however.

What have you heard fella? o_O
His old man lives in New Zealand....Richmond have given him leave in the past to go see his dad....but who's the only AFL club that will be regularly playing games there in the coming years....hmmm...o_O

His old man lives in New Zealand....Richmond have given him leave in the past to go see his dad....but who's the only AFL club that will be regularly playing games there in the coming years....hmmm...o_O

this plus a lot of his close mates are ex st kilda player, he is pretty friendly with some current saints as well

the kiwi link cant help, we have a couple of em on our list now

i feel fyfe would be the better fit though, he's a contested football beast and can play that high marking high fwd role and we would be able to help him more with his durability. martin i feel needs more help off-field rather than fitness, he's also not as strong in the center as fyfe

having said that i dont think we get fyfe, i think he stays at freo, so maybe we grab martin instead and look at another young player to go with him

In my opinion...

Let's try to get 2 Martins for the price of one

Dusty and Jack (we could do with another Jack) :)

In my opinion...

One of my mates spoke to Dylan Shiel's dad recently and Dylan apparently told his old man he didn't want to go to St Kilda, so even if he does decide to return to Victoria, it doesn't sound like we are on Dylan's radar unfortunately.

this plus a lot of his close mates are ex st kilda player, he is pretty friendly with some current saints as well

the kiwi link cant help, we have a couple of em on our list now

i feel fyfe would be the better fit though, he's a contested football beast and can play that high marking high fwd role and we would be able to help him more with his durability. martin i feel needs more help off-field rather than fitness, he's also not as strong in the center as fyfe

having said that i dont think we get fyfe, i think he stays at freo, so maybe we grab martin instead and look at another young player to go with him
Yeah I'm still of the belief that Fyfe will re-sign with Freo before midyear, so IMO we'll know clearly who we are targeting from say June onwards. If Shiel and Kelly are adamant in staying, and Fyfe re-signs, it really only leaves us with Martin - which is obviously fantastic, I'm not downplaying it at all, but that's the reality we'll probably face.

Personally I can see the talent that Martin will bring to the football club but like some others have said earlier, I'll be crossing my fingers for the entirety of his stay at St.Kilda in the hope he doesn't get into any off-field drama. He's very good friends with Chips and through that friendship is also mates with Armo & Joey...you can add Koby Stevens to that list as well now that he's come across from the Dogs....it all seems really coincidental and Dusty would be a great fit, if he stays out of trouble then I'm all for it...just don't know if it will happen.

Yeah I'm still of the belief that Fyfe will re-sign with Freo before midyear, so IMO we'll know clearly who we are targeting from say June onwards. If Shiel and Kelly are adamant in staying, and Fyfe re-signs, it really only leaves us with Martin - which is obviously fantastic, I'm not downplaying it at all, but that's the reality we'll probably face.

Personally I can see the talent that Martin will bring to the football club but like some others have said earlier, I'll be crossing my fingers for the entirety of his stay at St.Kilda in the hope he doesn't get into any off-field drama. He's very good friends with Chips and through that friendship is also mates with Armo & Joey...you can add Koby Stevens to that list as well now that he's come across from the Dogs....it all seems really coincidental and Dusty would be a great fit, if he stays out of trouble then I'm all for it...just don't know if it will happen.

great call, agree 200%

In my opinion...

Hope it is Hopper.

If we could snap up one of the big two via FA we have a lot of currency for one of those two but if they sign on, there aren't a lot of other options worth going for. A Hopper type wouldnt improve us enough to justify pushing some of our young talent put, would rather hit the draft.

If Jack Martin were available I would be all ears however.
Zaharakis?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not convinced entirely we will target a big fish. We have brought in Steele and Brown who wont be on peanuts.
Membrey and Hickey have probably earnt big pay rises. Acres as well. Carlisle will be on big coin.
Bruce wouldnt be cheap.

I am not convinced entirely we will target a big fish. We have brought in Steele and Brown who wont be on peanuts.
Membrey and Hickey have probably earnt big pay rises. Acres as well. Carlisle will be on big coin.
Bruce wouldnt be cheap.

I don't think any of them will be on huge money, most came for opportunity. Bruce probably the most expensive and apparently was under market value by a lot.

If Martin decides to leave and come to St Kilda, Richmond will have plans to take both our first round draft picks by matching the offer and making us deal. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen.

If Martin decides to leave and come to St Kilda, Richmond will have plans to take both our first round draft picks by matching the offer and making us deal. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen.

If Richmond "Can" match the offer.
Rocket Eade this morning said that Prestia was a huge contract.
I guess with Deledio going they may have something. But Rance and Cotchin won't be on peanuts.

Martin is a star, but he's not worth breaking the bank over. He's not necessarily in the ideal age range - it'd be better if he was two years younger. Those players aren't free agents, so the draft picks are there to make a trade for someone in that group.

If the Tigers finish bottom 4, which is likely, they would get a compo pick after their first pick if they didn't match. If us and the Hawks finish top 8, which is likely, then our firsts would be around maybe 14 & 11. (Hawks 5th - Saints 8th)

Would the Tigers rather picks 3 & 4 possibly, or 3 & 11 & 14.

Not sure there's that much difference. Would you swap pick 4 for picks 11 & 14. Maybe, maybe not. I'm not sure it's a certainty they will match an offer if the 3 sides concerned finish around where they are expected this year. Probably depends on how bad Richmond's year is.

If the Tigers finish bottom 4, which is likely, they would get a compo pick after their first pick if they didn't match. If us and the Hawks finish top 8, which is likely, then our firsts would be around maybe 14 & 11. (Hawks 5th - Saints 8th)

Would the Tigers rather picks 3 & 4 possibly, or 3 & 11 & 14.

Not sure there's that much difference. Would you swap pick 4 for picks 11 & 14. Maybe, maybe not. I'm not sure it's a certainty they will match an offer if the 3 sides concerned finish around where they are expected this year. Probably depends on how bad Richmond's year is.

They'll probably take 1 1st rounder from each year, say pick 11 2017 and pick 15/16 2018 to spread the age of their list. They already have 2 1st rounders this year so that would give them 3 in 2017 and 2 in 2018. Not a bad way to rebuild.

They'll probably take 1 1st rounder from each year, say pick 11 2017 and pick 15/16 2018 to spread the age of their list. They already have 2 1st rounders this year so that would give them 3 in 2017 and 2 in 2018. Not a bad way to rebuild.

Good point. Didn't think about future picks.:drunk:

That scenario sounds quite enticing. Might make matching their preferred option.

Good point. Didn't think about future picks.:drunk:

That scenario sounds quite enticing. Might make matching their preferred option.
A 2017 pick of known value is NOT worth less than a 2018 pick of unknown value. Its not enticing.
Every club would rather have a pick now than one year in the future.
Case in point, the crazy offer StKilda got with the Hawks pick.
Would only be the case if the draft was considered a poor one.

Each pick is considered on its own. No-one says "wow we can have 3 picks in 2017" if they already have 2. They look at the value of the individual trade.

If we assume we will have to trade anyway. Why even bother to target a free agent? Why not pick any player contracted or not and try to trade?
Lets talk to Patrick Cripps, Ollie Wines, Luke Parker, Rory Sloane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back