Well done Ken Wyatt, first indigenous cabinet minister

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised there isn’t a thread.

A momentous occasion, equal of Neville Bonner being elected to the Senate as a member of the Liberal Party.

With this and the passage of same sex marriage, the Liberal government keeps hitting sixes for progressive politics. 👍

It's an improvement on Tony Abbott as Minister for Indigenous Affairs oh wait ... special envoy. What even is a special envoy?

A momentous occasion, equal of Neville Bonner being elected to the Senate as a member of the Liberal Party.

With this and the passage of same sex marriage, the Liberal government keeps hitting sixes for progressive politics. 👍
apparently some are already complaining about his appointment.

far more important and momentous imho. Ken got into parliament by himself, lower house. No favors were given to him he went through the normal preselection process, beat a labor candidate and people voted directly for him.

He then worked his way through the political game to make it into cabinet.

He is a good man Ken - great achievement.

Someone was telling me that Ben Wyatt (WA Treasurer) is a cousin of his.

Ben is also the WA Minister for Aboriginal Affairs, which makes me wonder if two members of the same family have ever held the same portfolio at different levels of government before (for different parties, no less).

Ben is also the WA Minister for Aboriginal Affairs, which makes me wonder if two members of the same family have ever held the same portfolio at different levels of government before (for different parties, no less).

its kind of interesting because Ben should have really joined the liberals, and indeed his policies seem to be much more aligned with a liberal government.

Well Labor had arrogantly briefed the media (especially WA media) for months that Pat Dodson (WA Senator) would be the first Indigenous Indigenous Affairs Minister, that it kind of lost its moment. Such a shame for Wyatt that arrogant Labor had to steal his thunder.

I understand that Ken Wyatt is a cousin of Ben's father, Cedric, who unsuccessfully ran for election in Kalgoorlie against Graeme Campbell in the 1996 federal election for the Liberal Party.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back