Well, I had an interesting day today.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Goldenblue

Norm Smith Medallist
Ex-Moderator
Aug 2, 2001
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
I decided to go into Perth today and have a look at Elizabeth Quay as I had not seen it yet and wanted to see it before my time comes up.

I was walking through Forrest Place and came across Sally Mac and the unions protesting about penalty rates. I decided to stop and take my pics on my phone and listened to what they had to say. Even though I have never joined a union and never had a desire to join one, a lot of what they said made sense, and some things they said were over the top. After they dispersed, they went on a march.

Still it was something I never experienced before and was happy to be there to witness an actual union protest. I was even given a whistle as a souvenir which I brought home and gave to my son who is an apprentice boilermaker welder at Civmec.

IMAG0011.jpg IMAG0013.jpg
IMAG0005.jpg IMAG0007.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0008.jpg
    IMAG0008.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
If a mod can sort out the photos and have my text come first, it would be appreciated. I have no idea on how I stuffed this up. Sorry guys.

View attachment 353265 View attachment 353266 I decided to go into Perth today and have a look at Elizabeth Quay as I had not seen it yet and wanted to see it before my time comes up.

I was walking through Forrest Place and came across Sally Mac and the unions protesting about penalty rates. I decided to stop and take my pics on my phone and listened to what they had to say. Even though I have never joined a union and never had a desire to join one, a lot of what they said made sense, and some things they said were over the top. After they dispersed, they went on a march.

Still it was something I never experienced before and was happy to be there to witness an actual union protest. I was even given a whistle as a souvenir which I brought home and gave to my son who is an apprentice boilermaker welder at Civmec.View attachment 353261 View attachment 353261 View attachment 353263
Interesting isn't it.
Have always wanted to be part of a protest march (Vietnam) but hadn't done so until two years ago.
It was fascinating especially as there were church organisation, community groups, varying age groups, families and grandparents marching.
It was during the turnback of boats.
Would do it again if I felt strongly about a topic.

View attachment 353265 View attachment 353266 I decided to go into Perth today and have a look at Elizabeth Quay as I had not seen it yet and wanted to see it before my time comes up.

Still it was something I never experienced before and was happy to be there to witness an actual union protest. I was even given a whistle as a souvenir which I brought home and gave to my son who is an apprentice boilermaker welder at Civmec.View attachment 353261 View attachment 353261 View attachment 353263

I'm curious to know whether attending and listening to what they had to say swayed you at all.

Are you more likely to join a union than you were yesterday?

You don't say what line of work you're in - clearly there are some lines of work where unions don't campaign, where they aren't talked about, and that aren't considered "conducive" to being organised by a union, but I'm interested to hear what the result of you being "happy to be there" is (if any.)

Also, I'm curious to know which parts of the speeches you considered to be over the top. I don't have any intention of arguing with you - I just think it's interesting to hear what the "objections" are of someone who seems pretty open-minded in considering what the unions are saying about penalty rates (and/or other issues on which they campaign.)

If a mod can sort out the photos and have my text come first, it would be appreciated. I have no idea on how I stuffed this up. Sorry guys.
Done Goldenblue

Great thread, thanks for sharing.

I'm curious to know whether attending and listening to what they had to say swayed you at all.

Are you more likely to join a union than you were yesterday?

You don't say what line of work you're in - clearly there are some lines of work where unions don't campaign, where they aren't talked about, and that aren't considered "conducive" to being organised by a union, but I'm interested to hear what the result of you being "happy to be there" is (if any.)

Also, I'm curious to know which parts of the speeches you considered to be over the top. I don't have any intention of arguing with you - I just think it's interesting to hear what the "objections" are of someone who seems pretty open-minded in considering what the unions are saying about penalty rates (and/or other issues on which they campaign.)

Well Nobby, it's fair to say that I am not working and do not have much time left. So I have a bucket list of things I want to do hence the Quay today.

Over the top were comments like "comrade" and "solidarity". In my view, more reasonable dialogue would have made me more interested in what they had to say instead of Russian leftist tags. Some vile name calling from the protesters was unwarranted. Compromise and constructive dialogue would be better. More with honey rather than vinegar as my mother used to say. However they made sense on penalty rates which I applauded.

I even heard they say that the Liberals were discussing about bringing in a youth wage to $3.20 an hour which I had not heard of and wondered if it was utter bullshit, but then again, people like Cash, Morrison, Dutton and other IPA puppets would welcome that, though it would be electoral suicide.

I was a part of a workplace many years ago where it was a union workplace, but decided I did not need to join one as even though I was not part of the union, my EBA with that company still fell under the union wages.

Before I finished my last job, I was in sales and part of management. Even though the others who were in the office treated those who worked in the warehouse as below them, I always made sure that every morning when I arrived, I went to the back and said good morning to the boys and talked about footy and had a laugh with them. I always believed that the boys out the back were the strength of the company and got the job done which made us in management look better. I appreciated their hard work and treated them with respect. Our company had a office is better than warehouse staff mentality that I despised. Though I loved my job, some staff were wrong in treating the boys out the back that way.

As for unions, my choice was never to join one, however I am grateful that they exist. Without them, workers would be paid less for longer hours and the gap in the rich and the poor would widen further. I love my kids and worry about how the Liberals may exploit them and I only want to make sure that all my babies have a decent shot in life. They all did well at school and worked hard and deserve a chance like any Australian. Unions will protect their wages and job security. 457 visas can flick off. The unions have done good things for the workers in Australia and though there is some corruption in unions, there is also a lot of corruption in politics as well as business.

The way I see is that workers have unions and then businesses also have unions, they are called the CCI and the BCA. I don't see any difference.

As for happy to be there, it was an experience for me to see a union protest in the flesh. Never seen one before.

Last edited:
What was the turnout like? Old? Young? Male? Female?

There was a fair crowd there but I also saw a lot of the non union public come across and listen and voiced their disapproval about the penalty rates. There was a lot of different ages from 18 plus to people in their 70s, but I was surprised at the amount of females in the union. I thought it was more of a boys club, but a very vocal amount of women there as well. Good on ya girls.

I know there are a lot of people who disapprove of unions and I am one of those in a way, but Monday, I can understand why they need to stand up against this government and their vile and distasteful attack on the working class. Good on the unions and I hope they fight for the workers rights.

I mean, tax cuts for businesses will not create jobs, it simply is a nod to BCA / IPA and CCI greed.

I know there are a lot of people who disapprove of unions and I am one of those in a way, but Monday, I can understand why they need to stand up against this government and their vile and distasteful attack on the working class. Good on the unions and I hope they fight for the workers rights.

And yet Union membership has never been lower, especially in the non-private sector where it's something like 1 in 10. It seems like Unions have a hard time convincing their own base that union membership is important or worthwhile, even when people generally agree in much of their sentiments.

And yet Union membership has never been lower, especially in the non-private sector where it's something like 1 in 10. It seems like Unions have a hard time convincing their own base that union membership is important or worthwhile, even when people generally agree in much of their sentiments.

Most people may no longer join a union, however I feel they will still stick up for workers rights regardless if people are a part of a union or not.

Imagine how life would be if these unions did not fight for a fair days pay for working Australians.

Not the Shoppies.

Shoppies no. Though it was the union that was in the workplace I was in many years I did not join.

I remember Joe Bullock coming to our workplace saying there was nothing he could do to help when when Workchoices came into legislation. I remember thinking what a soft**** he was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shoppies no. Though it was the union that was in the workplace I was in many years I did not join.

I remember Joe Bullock coming to our workplace saying there was nothing he could do to help when when Workchoices came into legislation. I remember thinking what a soft**** he was.
I quit Woolworths just before Christmas (thank god!). I'd always been told that unless you join they'll do nothing, so I joined their new competitor Raffwu. I intended to try to become involved in that but I left before I had the chance.

Interesting isn't it.
Have always wanted to be part of a protest march (Vietnam) but hadn't done so until two years ago.
It was fascinating especially as there were church organisation, community groups, varying age groups, families and grandparents marching.

I've been to a couple of the peaceful kind (anti French nukes in the Pacific) and the less than peaceful (anti voluntary student unionism ones that usually end up with a demand for free uni education/ end HECS/ other unrealistic demands generated by jealousy of the baby boomers who got everything free).

Was in same year level and uni as Kelly O dwyer - safe to say she never went to one.

I've been to a couple of the peaceful kind (anti French nukes in the Pacific) and the less than peaceful (anti voluntary student unionism ones that usually end up with a demand for free uni education/ end HECS/ other unrealistic demands generated by jealousy of the baby boomers who got everything free).

Was in same year level and uni as Kelly O dwyer - safe to say she never went to one.
Why are they unrealistic if the baby boomers got them? They are actually more fiscally sustainable now then when the boomers were at uni given people of uni age make up a smaller proportion of the population then during the baby boomer uni days.

Interesting isn't it.
Did anyone else go to the anti-Vietnam march, two years ago?:D

I saw one of my cousins get arrested in and Anti-vietnam march in the late 60's...I was still in short pants though...the cops even had Pith helmets on...so that was another era....slinks away....

Why are they unrealistic if the baby boomers got them? They are actually more fiscally sustainable now then when the boomers were at uni given people of uni age make up a smaller proportion of the population then during the baby boomer uni days.

Because the campaigners in charge (boomers) are allocating the purse strings to fund pensions to continue their free ride and f**k over their kids.

Typical selfish boomer mentality.

I'm a Union member and a work place Union delegate.
I've gone out on strike and have attended Union demonstrations.
Our Union is in dispute and our members are having to take pay deductions for workplace action. We are making financial contributions to support these members.
I hope you were happy with your whistle.

I'm a Union member and a work place Union delegate.
I've gone out on strike and have attended Union demonstrations.
Our Union is in dispute and our members are having to take pay deductions for workplace action. We are making financial contributions to support these members.
I hope you were happy with your whistle.

The whistle I passed onto my son which he liked and has put away for keepsakes.

With this LNP government and its attack on the working class for the beneficial gain of the rich, you guys are needed more than ever before. I have nothing against unions, I just used my democratic right not to join one, but will admit, I was put under a lot of pressure to join the SDA and at times was ostracised by the union members in the workplace for refusing to join.

After reading about the recent Coles debacle, I see the SDA was involved in that as well.

I never had any respect for Joe Bullock as the head of the SDA, nor as a politician and in my personal opinion he was a huge failure in both roles.

Fewer people went to university in the 60s and 70s

Love how I have been given lots of emails from SDA WA over opposing extended Sunday trading hours but when it came to negotiating problems associated with salary negotiations with the big business I worked for they were like "there's nothing we can do about it".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back