Review Well played Bullies! Finals here we come.

Remove this Banner Ad

He didn’t say they wouldn’t travel just said they may not given how heavily pregnant their partners are but hopes they would
They should take a leaf out of Richie Porte and his wife's book. She gave birth while he was coming third in the TdF, agreed plan between them.
This is the second child for both Woody and Bruce, so they know they're not really needed ;)

Last edited:

10-5 after round 2 with a % of over 118%.

With 3 of those losses coming in a 12 day span against Richmond, port (in Adelaide) and Brisbane (in Brisbane).

Geelong being another loss that we had put away.

Beveridge is certifiably insane, and some of his selections this year have been a joke. But credit to him and the group for pulling together in tough circumstances.

Your thread about Beveridge being in the hot seat came straight after this tough set of matches, which I thought was a bit tough.

I agree with that but my problem with Gardener is I don’t think he’s good enough at negating for that to be his one trick. I feel he’d cop a bath from nearly every teams number 1 forward. He probably has a decent match up in most sides but is it worth a spot in the side to lock down on a 2nd or 3rd tall forward? You can get the same defense on those types from a Wood or Young while providing a hell of a lot more offensively.

I feel he’s a bit of a poor mans Cordy and there’s only room for one, and Zaine quite easily has him pipped in every facet of the game currently.

If he can get to the stage where he can be a viable option on the oppos number 1 forward then there’s room for him IMO
Though I am not convinced at all, he may cop a bath from an opposition number 1 team forward but until he actually does this is supposition based on opinion.

Which Young are your referring too? If it is Lewis have to disagree as his major weakness in defence is one on one and Wood is 10cm shorter so I am unsure how he is playing against the serious talls consistently in the opposition.

A good defensive tall is a weakness in our list and is probably why the coaching group are trying to fast track Gardner is this role

Notice Bevo is really pissed off about the negativity and abuse directed at some players. Hopefully not on Bigfooty, but likely on Facebook and Twitter. He, and they, really should stay away from those cesspits.

Oh I don’t think we’ve covered ourselves in glory, myself included. It’s been a difficult year and I’ve drinking too much when watching the footy but it’s no excuse. Mea culpa. Turns out the club actually knows more about the players than I do.

I stay away from the game day thread except in 1/4 breaks now, best to take a deep breath before posting there chums.

Gowers tho.

I stay away from Facebook fans pages and the comments section in The Hun, that’s where the gutter that runs off the gutter swims.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very happy we are playing finals under trying circumstances.

I think our home grown advantage is as strong as any in the leagues (outside WCE), and so to give that up for the whole year and still make it, is a great effort.

Libba and Lipi for me were our best last night in the first half. Hunter brilliant in the 2nd. Been a great season from Libba.

Hang on a second, for somebody questioning the dubious benefits of others going to the Dees board directly after our win you seem awfully current on their reaction to said win.

aJIuz4ef6HBsfQ-XfqhHgerXObqLBIadc8nGYcUnueeX-G-ge8qCDo07C_Fxs7ppWCTRciDp

My point was about going there to gloat. I’ve got a mate on the Dees board, many in there are ok to talk footy with.
On the other hand, if we play and beat Saints in week 1, I’m happy to lead the gloating charge to their board!

My point was about going there to gloat. I’ve got a mate on the Dees board, many in there are ok to talk footy with.
On the other hand, if we play and beat Saints in week 1, I’m happy to lead the gloating charge to their board!
Only poking a bit of fun.

I had no intention of posting on their board post game. However like you I did want to see how they were reacting to us knocking them out. I wasn't disappointed.

Given Charlie Cameron is their leading goal kicker with 25 and was their leading goal kicker last season not sure Hipwood is their number 1. Should be given the amount of forward entries they generate but take out the 5 goals against us and he has 17 goals from 15 games

He had a bad night but was only 1 on 1 for 3 of his goals and 2 of those were from free kicks. Since that game his baseline has improved substantially, it needed too.

Still not sure on him at all but I don't think there is anyone better as a pure stopper for oppositions genuine talls in our squad, and if he comes along he frees Keath up for his strengths as an intercept as well as we saw last night either Keath or Cordy for a run up forward

Though I am not convinced at all, he may cop a bath from an opposition number 1 team forward but until he actually does this is supposition based on opinion.

Which Young are your referring too? If it is Lewis have to disagree as his major weakness in defence is one on one and Wood is 10cm shorter so I am unsure how he is playing against the serious talls consistently in the opposition.

A good defensive tall is a weakness in our list and is probably why the coaching group are trying to fast track Gardner is this role
Hipwood is probably one of the worst number 1 key forwards he could expect to come up against and he got destroyed by him (Charlie is irrelevant here lol) agreed he’s improved since then though.

Is Lewy Young Really worse one on one? Gardeners aerial work has been reasonable but it’s all been on killing the high ball coming in, he’s been lucky he hasn’t been caught out one on one too often mostly due to our improved team defence and a much more cohesive defensive unit with an inform Keath, Croz, Williams and to a lesser extent Wood. Young didn’t have that luxury when he was playing as our number one key back last year.

Young would be just as reliable defensively on the 2nd or 3rd tall Gardner is capable of taking while providing much more in the way of intercept marking and being a genuine link up option.

yes Wood is 10cm shorter but what we’d lose defensively having him play on the 3rd tall forward compared to Gardner we’d more than make up for offensively.

like I said before I’m all for having a lockdown tall defender in the mix, but they have to be locking down the number one key forward. I don’t think any team would be wasting a spot on a lockdown 3rd tall defender who offers literally 0 in the way of intercept marks or offensive drive and can’t take a small when needed or play a different position or the ground.

if Gardner can improve to the point of being an option on the number 1 forward then I’ll happily have him as a lockdown FB. Right now he can’t, I don’t have high hopes of him ever being strong enough to do that and he should be developing that skill set in the twos, not a finals bound team.

OK, new team rule so we dont get into this same Wood/Bruce situation come finals time in the future.

Dont Do the Deed in Decemeber.

Last edited:
Ok I don’t want to get hopes up given the same person last night told me they thought Naughton was done for the year, but just been told Naughton is now expected to play. Was cheekbone not eye socket as originally feared

You’ve got my hopes up.

Would opposition players ‘test out’ a fractured cheekbone? Wouldn’t put it past Jake Carlisle to poke a thumb into a fracture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back