Review Well that sucks! Aints beat Dogs 116 - 89 - Rd 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Our forward press seemed much higher than usual on the weekend. Saints just had so much space and once they had a sniff they ran hard. I dunno, hard to see not being at the game but usually we have more of a wall built around the middle of the ground, this week it seemed our last line was not far back of the 50 line.
I was at the game and you may have made an accurate comment here. Had to spark my memory after your comment but there certainly were times when we did flood deep in our forward half. Once the Saints got the ball on the outside, which they did with ease many times, their runners were able to run the ball into space without much impediment. Can't say with certainty whether this was different from previous games, because we have been caught out like this countless times this year but perhaps we were pushing deeper under instructions or just by being sucked in. Also, factor in that the Saints moved the ball much quicker from their defence which caught out our slow half forwards and mid-fielders. Worth another look in next week's game.

We seem to get a lot of free kicks. However I’d love to know how many of them are within scoring range. Resulting in a direct set shot.

Whereas the ones we concede seem to be close to opposition goal. Resulting in easy set shots.

What would you rather have. 20 frees in the middle of the ground or 8 free kicks from directly in front 20 out.

I’d be fascinated to see the exact spots of all our free kicks that we have been awarded. Doubtful too many end up being easy goals.

We seem to get a lot of free kicks. However I’d love to know how many of them are within scoring range. Resulting in a direct set shot.

Whereas the ones we concede seem to be close to opposition goal. Resulting in easy set shots.

What would you rather have. 20 frees in the middle of the ground or 8 free kicks from directly in front 20 out.

I’d be fascinated to see the exact spots of all our free kicks that we have been awarded. Doubtful too many end up being easy goals.

I have said all along it's not how many free kicks you get but where you get them.

You can give one team 100 free kicks in the backline but only give the other team 10 in their forward line where they can possibly kick 10 goals.

Young sides will have off days, but that was an absolute shocker.

I still think there are a few green shoots this year (English being the big one). He's going to be brilliant for us, just needs at least one more pre-season. Really hit two saints hard yesterday, good to see.
True on both counts. Saints had 350 games less experience, but played out of their skins. Both sides would be wondering what might have been. Us if Richardson had lasted another week (reckon we would've won), them if Ratten had been coaching from round 1 (probably top 8).

I'd like to see English resting forward a bit more. He has looked dangerous there at times and would love to see him kick a bag.

True on both counts. Saints had 350 games less experience, but played out of their skins. Both sides would be wondering what might have been. Us if Richardson had lasted another week (reckon we would've won), them if Ratten had been coaching from round 1 (probably top 8).

This was the biggest concern as we were the more experienced team yet we could not foresee they would throw everything at us in the first quarter with a new coach and our season on the line????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back