Review Well that sucks! Aints beat Dogs 116 - 89 - Rd 18

Remove this Banner Ad

I only watched the 2nd half on tv guys, but gee, what a shitfest. Positives: Bailey Dale, Dickson, English, Dunkley, Crozier, and something no one has mentioned: Schache’s defensive spoil that ended up concussing himself. Not the injury, the attack on the ball. Loved it from him. Our goalkicking.

The negatives: far too many. Letting them have 11 scoring shots to our 1 first qtr, the fact they kicked 17.14, the ease at which they kicked goals, especially 2nd and 3rd qtrs from very few inside 50s.
Cordy is THE worst defender in the AFL in 2019. I’m sorry, I know he’s a 3rd tall, blah, blah, blah, but the guy played in a premiership and would be lucky to get a game in half the league in current form. Time to p1ss him off for good. I’d take a 3rd or 4th rounder or a pie and chips. The fact we even thought we’d make finals was a huge con, and most of us got sucked in. Not happy, but I expected it

Simply put a pathetic effort and why we are not playing finals this year. We have now lost to all of the bottom sides bar Melbourne.

There will be excuses and justifications but the reality is a poor year overall with another poor loss to a very average team.

Nothing at all positive to gain from this

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

As Bevo alluded to in his presser, the measure of a good side and one that can stand tall when others fall deep into September, is the ability to absorb the opposition's pressure and still execute under that intense heat.

We fell behind on the scoreboard in every final in 2016. It was our collective will to absorb and grind and then finish (particularly in the last 5 mins of quarters) that enabled us to win the Premiership.

We didn't handle the heat in the first qtr but that doesn't alter the trajectory we are on or undo any of the massive steps forward we have taken over the last 5 weeks.

Field kicking decision making was terrible by Suckling (please drop), Cordy, Macrae and then we had clangers at important times by Hunter, English, Dunkley the list goes on. Lucky we kicked straight or we get by 50 points .How did saints get so many easy goals once they broke in the open we had no answers and they got so many easy goals.

Dunkley's disposal summed up our day. 35 metres out (kicked 2 from further out last week) and decides a 20 metre pass to Naughtom misses him by 10 metres and straight to Naughton;s opponent.

I know Tim has got promise but gee he has got some hidings this season with his opponent being the key to wins Collingwood twice (Grundy), North Goldy), GC (Witts), Saints (Marshall) who is no older Tim. Big Question next season does he need help from an experienced ruckman next season.

On that performance you could drop half the team next week it is not going to happen but surely we have had enough of Suckling, Cordy and Roarke Smith.

Absolutely agree about Trengove. I feel like you always need that big full back who can take the gorillas, like Trengove on Bruce today. We do however need to find our next gorilla tamer, and I'm not sure we have another on our list other than I suppose Gardner. Collins was one we had for this role but he unfortunately didnt come along quickly enough. Any chance to grab one of these types in the draft I think we should take

Maybe Will Gould?

Sucklings last month has been a debacle. Even when the teams been going well, he’s fallen off a cliff.

His place in the side is getting to the point of being untenable. If there isnt a place for him behind the ball which wouyld appear to be the case, then there just isnt a place for him in the side. Watching him flail about looking for his left side as his opponent sits and waits for it when he plays on a hff is getting beyond embarrassing for him.

That momentum killing sideways kick late in the 3rd? was just about enough for me to stamp his papers.

Last edited:
Man how ******* bad was macrae. Jesus that was one of the poorest games ive seen from anyone in the league this year, just so happened to be our 2nd best player. Just one of those days :(

Man how ******* bad was macrae. Jesus that was one of the poorest games ive seen from anyone in the league this year, just so happened to be our 2nd best player. Just one of those days :(

Name a worse 34 possession game. He was dreadful.

Name a worse 34 possession game. He was dreadful.
Literally cringed when he got the ball, it was just so un-macrae like. I honestly reckon 15 of those 34 touches were direct turnovers. Another 7 probably borderline.

In saying that though weve got a lot of problems and hes not one of them.

******* rubbish effort tonight, absolutely ******* pathetic from the boys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have not read a single post in this thread yet, here is my take.

Qrt 1 we had a game plan which required players out back to hit targets 30 - 35 meters away with J Jennings stab passes.

On most occasions those players had no right to be attempting such kicks. Turn over goal rinse and repeat.

That was game plan and for me this loss was a strategic loss.....or dare i say a coaching loss.

Tell me im wrong

I'm not sure what Cordy offers apart from awkward kicking, poor defensive skills and turnovers.

Overall a rubbish effort from the whole 22. Not acceptable.

To be jumped so badly and then to let them continue to get easy over the top goals in the second...inexcusable.

The basic skill errors like not hitting a target 15-20 metres away over and over again was disgraceful. It was as though we were playing in first gear.

Add to that the fact finals on the line and a few players should be looking for a new club or career after that performance. Pathetic.

One of the worst losses (but totally predictable for us) that I can remember.

I hope the heat gets turned right up on us this week. Blowtorch. Time for hard questions.

We concede multiple goals in succession in many games and that puts us out of games.

We learnt nothing out of the North, Carlton and Gold Coast losses and that is backed up by today’s game.

Games was over at qtr time no one stood up to the expected pressure. Everyone knew what the Saints were going to do except the players and coaches.

Get games into L.Young, B.Dale, B. Williams, R.West play J. Sweet also.

Finish as low as possible and take the earliest pick you can.
Ffs. Tanking doesnt have a great history. I believe you think that is a good option....... pick 5 or 6 isnt gunna make or break our future success.

does anyone do this post-game?!?!

I have a guilty pleasure of reading game threads post-game after we have a win, but a win in a game that at one point we were down in. By any margin really, whether we go down 3-4 goals and go on to win or even just briefly concede a lead.

It's whatever, the threads become a place for venting, but I do get a kick out of seeing the posts go from one end of the extreme to the other through the course of one game.

D__UXMNU0AAuHJo
I dont mind a gtaoh but they do need some supporting commentary. Does this graph show how s**t we were down back, up forward or in the mid?

Love what you are producing but give it.some context.

Another frustrating loss and a painful game to watch for long periods.
Some times you just have a bad day, but our preparation for this game also seemed lacking which always adds to the pain.

As usual I don't think we did ourselves any favours at selection. Going into the game with 3 underdone players in Bont, Libba and Caleb, was clearly a risk.
Dropping Bailey Williams and Ed Richards, combined with the loss of McLean meant we lost some speed and aerial ability, albeit with the expectation of regaining some midfield grunt and composure.

To the Saints' credit they did their home work and took action to negate some of our key players, especially Bont around stoppages and Naughton up forward. It was infuriating watching them transgress the rules in prosecuting their plans but due to some pretty horrendous umpiring they continually got away with it.

As well as getting lucky with the umpires they also had plenty of luck with the bounce and flight of the ball going their way on several occasions where a few inches difference in flight might have had enormously different end results.

More infuriating was our sloppy play and tendency to continually make the same type of mistakes and play into the opposition's traps.

I think the Schache injury really hurt and derailed our comeback.

Libba may have started off slowly, but he made some important plays particularly in the second half and I think justified his inclusion.

Bailey Dale had a great game and showed the ability he possesses, I hope it isn't too little too late for him.

Unfortunately Roarke Smith again showed that whilst he might have some of the athletic attributes and skills for an extended AFL career, he also currently seems to lack either the desire or the confidence required. I remain at a loss to explain how he keeps getting selected ahead of better performed players who also have the invaluable advantage of actually wanting to get the football.

I thought the most disappointing things were the lack of care with the ball and the lack of intensity. Now those things would be consistent with arrogance, not taking the opponent seriously etc but I can’t imagine that’s the case inside a professional football club - particularly facing a side who’re likely to have the usual post-coach departure bump in effort. But no matter what the cause, it was depressingly predictable because we’ve seen it a few times already this year against the lower sides.

I also thought it looked like there was a lot of corralling rather than actual tackling, and an overuse of handball even for us. That said, got to give the saints some credit for knowing how to exploit weaknesses and coming out all guns blazing.

I think our defence was simply too small. We need the big full back, 2x key defenders and then 4 half backers. We need to get rid of one half backer for a key. We could easily take out Cordy and one flanker for Morris and Lewis Young and we would have a much better structure.

Have no idea what being taller would have done. We were exposed on the high press and a vast majority of their forward 50 marks were uncontested. Height wasn’t the issue today it was the work rate of the entire team defence and it was abysmal.

I'm sick of us playing underdone players. Time to get them all in for surgery now so they have a full pre season.

We did play 5 players first up in an elimination final a few years back now and Bev was a genius

It’s easy after the event to say whether something was right or wrong but I didn’t hear many on here complaining about them playing before the game.

Went to our game today. And I know, and understand that if you turn the ball over early in transition when team mates are moving forward it will likely leave you out numbered and exposed on the rebound. Happens in every sport alike.

But today was just inexcusable. Some of those turnovers happened in our forward half, and Saints didn't blitz on the rebound, so in other words plenty of time for the mids to drop back and help out, and for the defenders to sort themselves out. Yet time and time again the Saints had too many loose men running around in their forward 50. Like seriously, how the * can that happen?

A couple of times from stoppages at the top of the 50, when the whole team was there, and it still happened. I've concluded that even in our good defensive games, its more of the midfield dropping back to help our overrated defence. And that we have one of the dumbest in terms of game sense, and slowest and weakest defenders in the league. If we let our man get in front we are never catching them. And we are constantly outmuscled in one on one contests.

Seriously manning up is the most simple and effective form of defence in sport. Pick a guy, stay with him, compete with him in a contest, repeat, Unlike zones where you need everyone to be quick and game smart,

A few times I noticed too many players ball watching at the contest and not paying attention to where their man is. When that happens, it breaks down the defensive structure. Because someone see's the loose man, perceives him as a threat, so he leaves his man, then two players leave their man to chase the next loose guy, and in the end you just have people all over the place, and its an attacking teams wet dream. A couple of other times we had too many guys try and take on the ball carrier, if one cannot make the tackle, then it means the opposition now has an additional spare player streaming forward. Back your team mate to do their job, if you're on someone, it takes the option away and at the least slows the play down allowing for additional support to get back.

Sometimes we do it well, other times its very poor. And worse when you play the whole game the same way and no one can mentally turn it around or our leaders cant step up and set the example.

I also HATE, when our players stand 10m-20m away from their guy. LIKE WHY? Usain Bolt isn't even gonna catch up to them. Our players are Puffing Billy on a hill, not Sonic The Hedgehog. Keep your opponent close and play in front of him, not stand a mile away like you're worried about getting germs

Forget key forwards, we need a true first and second forward strong and athletic enough to take on the best forwards. Defence should be the main focus in the offseason.

Our midfield also got bullied to many times, Saints are meant to be slower than us on foot and in transition. Instead at times we looked slow and got pushed away with ease. Hunter and Bontempelli barely touched the ball

Shout out to Bailey Dale for showing what he is capable of, now that we are playing him in his best position, finally.

And shout out to Schache. People call him soft. But when he got near knocked the hell out. He got up and staggered around the contest and refused to leave the field for a couple of stoppages until he knew it was a good time to leave. Walking off the field a contest came near him, he attacked the contest half knocked out, made and impact, ended up on the ground again, struggled to get up, went to jog off again, play comes to him AGAIN. Third time he lays a bump or tackle on someone, and is once again down. Struggles to keep his feet and swayed sideways all the way to the bench. Some may say it was just his brain being all loopy and dumb. I say that's tough as nails s**t. The toughest thing ANY player on our team showed all game.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back