Autopsy Well that was ordinary....disappointing loss to Hawks. - Rd 16, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

They’ve always been well looked after have Breust and Gunston but even so that “push in the back” in Breust’s favor was the worst decision I’ve seen this year. Umpire clearly saw that and I’m flabbergasted as to how he came up with it.
Drawing frees in front of goal is Hawthorn's trademark.

Played a decent first half, and was one of about 20 bulldogs to drop off in the second half. Seems odd to single him out.
Really? Chalk and cheese between 2016 CD and this one.

Disposal wasnt great and seems to have zero time to get rid of it. Looked slow.

Match summation:

Breust, Roughead, smith, Gunston, omeara, Sicily, McEvoy and Stratton are better than our players and all had blinders.

I don't disagree with you but its worth noting Bruest, Roughead, Smith, Gunston, McEvoy and Stratton are all over the age of 26 years old with most of them around the 29 year old mark.

Only Sicily and O'Meara are under 25years old I think.

as has been said it was a really disappointing second half. We lacked effort and that is inexcusable.

Don't understand why Cordy was persisted with as the second ruck. Really want Bev to explain this. When Cordy was rucking Hawks got on top easily in the middle. Why did we get Trengove? Cordy is easily a better KPD than Trengove and Trengove is the better ruck but we didn't go with that arrangement. Do not understand why.

I am not seeing it at all with Lipinski. What do you guys see? He is not fast, so that's not it, he is not clean when taking the ball, so that's not it, he is not good at winning the ball in his own right, so that's not it. What the hell do you see?

Gowers has been good over the last few weeks imo, but if he thinks he is there just to push and shove, the coaches either need to have a harsh word with him or change his instructions. He hasn't done enough in his short career to go away from the team things and indulge his (silly) ideas. get back to winning the ball.

Liking Schache. If he keeps improving and gets another preseason or two under his belt one piece of our forward line puzzle could be solved.

God there is so much over reaction on this board. Last week it was we will win all these games, finish higher and miss out on pick 5. This weak we are hopeless.

We are an extremely young team with a lack of leaders who are going to have ups and downs.

Lippy last week had his best game for the club and this week we have people saying he’s not ready for afl football and shouldn’t be playing.

Last night gowers, ed, lippy, naughton all had down nights, last week all had good games and did their jobs.

We didn’t have Williams who allowed us more flexibility. Bont has a stinker, adams didn’t repeat his performance last week.

We are inconsistent and consistency only comes with development.

Yep there are guys who are not up to it and there are some changes to be made but at the end of the day we currently have wood, suckling, Macrae, Libba, Williams, Picken, Dickson, Dale all out injured and all are best 22. That’s a third of our team and the majority of them are our older guys.

Results like this one are going to continue to happen over the rest of the weeks with our injuries and lack of experience that’s just how it is so no point having a tantrum every time it does.

Crozier was really good again last night. Some praise in here for him, but not enough in my book. Easily our best 4 quarter player last night.

Lynch gets caught a few times but he just tries to make s**t happen. Fast, evasive, good kick and doesn't shirk it. Exactly what we need. It annoys me we had to wait 3 years for him to get a game.
I am equally surprised we had to wait 2/3 of this season for him to play. Not so surprised he didn't play last year though, wasn't ready.

Guys like Lipinksi are also not ready but have been thrown in too early because we don't have anyone else. I'd rather Lipinski built his confidence in the VFL for another year. Play the occasional AFL game, but mostly VFL.

The confidence that Lynch has been able to foster while not playing AFL has been a great asset to bring when he did finally debut.

Good first half, attacked the ball and had good pressure. Sadly, like a lot of young sides, the pressure dropped off in the second half and we couldn’t stop their momentum.

Each game is a learning curve for the younger players, disappointing that the older players didn’t stand up (with the exception of Morris) in the second half.

Not a game where we should knee jerk react but certainly paints a picture of where we are currently at. I know it’s an excuse but we have been savaged by injury this season so it’s good we are getting games into the younger players.

The umpiring destroys my enthusiasm of the game, the call against Dahl for below the knees was one of the worst decisions I’ve ever had the misfortune to see - I hate that rule and it’s bizarre interpretations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So I guess you missed the one where the Hawks player was clearly in the protected zone and the ump stopped play, directed him away from the area and restarted play....

Well that turned to s**t rather quickly and somewhat unexpectedly.

Anyways, when these things, and as unpleasant as it is to review it, I like to attempt to find out where and why things went wrong and where the future lies to a degree.

This is my view, and some won't like it, however, it is what it is.

It went south from the start of the 3rd quarter. Wallis was an absolute liability in that quarter. His lack of pace and especially closing speed is something the opposition can exploit especially in the area of centre bounces which is where we were anihilated. If he stands beside or behind his opponent he gets beaten to the ball and left behind if his opponent gets the offload. If he stands in front he gets nudged under is neither agile nor fast enough to recover and have any impact. His lack of impact in any area of the ground (including forward and stopping rebound) where he isn't the target or doesn't get/have the ball is stark. If there was any doubt, there isn't IMO now after this game. He moves on at the end of year.

Caleb Daniel. Similar to Wallis in that if he doesn't have the ball he has almost zero impact. He can rarely impact or spoil a marking contest and his tackles are easily broken or off loaded in.

Given that every player will not have the ball more than they have it over the course of a game, what they do in that time and what impact they can have is important. This is heightened in finals football. Neither Wallis nor Daniel are cutting it IMO and both move on.

Neither Gowers nor Lipi had much impact in the second half, however, they get a little more latitude at this stage of their careers and given their upside. I don't agree with suggestions that Lipi doesn't do much with the ball. He has excellent skills, by hand and foot, but didn't contribute much yesterday. being a younger player, it's unsurprising that he has yet to find consistency. Same for all the younger ones. In all cases though, I think their respective ceilings are higher than the former 2 and the match experience is an advance payment on future benefits.

Well, I was wrong about Biggs..... :sick::sick: Not sure what's happened to him, just a shadow of himself. How does he not make the distance from that set shot?

Surely the Roarke experiment is over. Sorry to say but he's never going to be an AFL level player IMO.

Take solace in the fact that the Hawks won't make a dint in September and their cliff is approaching rapidly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They stopped their own four peat before it began by losing to sydney in 2012.

But happy for us and isaac smith to take credit.

If you read the Geelong board they are taking the credit because they tired out Hawthorn the week before :think::eek::oops::rolleyes:

They’ve always been well looked after have Breust and Gunston but even so that “push in the back” in Bruest’s favor was the worst decision I’ve seen this year. Umpire clearly saw that and I’m flabbergasted as to how he came up with it.
The one where Lynch pushed him out and took the mark? It looked like it was because the ball was not close enough. Breust exaggerated it though.

Last edited:
No .. Khamis will be.

Smith has bugger all defensive qualities. He seems more of a winger if that

Agree on Khamis. Big fan.

Think Smith is being judge really harshly though. He’s coming back from two ACL’s, is only 21 with now 8 games to his name. Not sure what people expect, he has shown glimpses of real talent, that’s what you should be looking for at this stage.

Not everyone comes on the scene and plays like Richards.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree on Khamis. Big fan.

Think Smith is being judge really harshly though. He’s coming back from two ACL’s, is only 21 with now 8 games to his name. Not sure what people expect, he has shown glimpses of real talent, that’s what you should be looking for at this stage.

Not everyone comes on the scene and plays like Richards.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agreed .. but he has a bad injury history and we cannot carry all of them anymore and 2, he needs to be upgraded and the list spots will not be there .. Lynch should be upgraded over him

We don't handle full on pressing pressure. Possibly to be expected in a young team but when its senior guys like Dahl coughing it up that hurts.

The leg contact rule is obsecene and goes against the very spirit of AFL footy. That Dahl free is one of the most putrid decisions I've ever seen. Hardly match defining but putrid nonetheless.

Marcus Adams' one on one aerial work was horrific at times.

Boyd going one handed for marks multiple times. Maybe he has given up trying to mark and is looking to knock on. Pfft.

I liked Wallis' game fwd. Its hard to tell what went wrong mid in the third. But it started in a ruck smashing. Bont was fairly awful. Even missing easy handballs now. Get him into the chop shop and right for next year - now.

Crozier seems a neat sort of player. Dont mind him. Never.going to be our best but seems a solid enough player.

Schache showing signs - nearly fainted with shock when I saw him take a pack mark fron the Biggs howler (actually may have blacked out when Hunter nailed two goals). Still a wait and see. But good signs.

Gowers needs to focus on less mouthing and more marking - ran under it too many times. Probably due a down one.

But as someone said, we are going to have floggings like this when teams step up pressure on such a young team. Still dissatisfied that senior players didn't handle it better. Best exemplified by JJ. Loves no oppo attention - 25 first half touches. Goes to a heap of quivering ineffective jelly in the second when he actually has a man put on him.

Like Lynch. Needs more game sense and perhaps some better defensive efforts but like his raw assets of pace, evasiveness and kicking. A lot.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back