Autopsy Well that was ordinary....disappointing loss to Hawks. - Rd 16, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

No Caleb Daniel no Bulldogs, if Caleb Daniel had played against the
Hawks we would have dominated the game. We were one player
short of another victory, Caleb Daniel.

Was it his conceding goals, dropping marks or offering nothing with the ball that impressed you?

I can’t think if an experienced recruit as bad as Trengove. If it was up to me I would delist him and pay him out, even though I know it won’t happen. I said around the time he was recruited he was a jack of all trades master of none and this season has proven that true.

Put Naughton back and setup the next premiership side.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I just stated a fact. He was one of our best despite the minor flaws you choose to highlight.

Can take a mark like that but continually stuff up the basics.
I just don’t think roarke smith is that good.
Agree.

Should be one of the easier decisions to delist.

But will we? A big problem with our list management has been hanging onto D graders like Smith for far too long and not turning over the list enough. Interesting to see what our new list manager does.

Agree.

Should be one of the easier decisions to delist.

But will we? A big problem with our list management has been hanging onto D graders like Smith for far too long and not turning over the list enough. Interesting to see what our new list manager does.
With five picks (currently) one of which has no points value I am not sure our list manager can keep pace with
Bevo's magic marker, Bevo has put the line through a lot of players and then there is the long term injuries.

As per previous comments above, I'm consistently mystified by our ruck situation. In the 1st quarter, two late Hawk goals were directly the result of Ceglar hit outs to advantage against a hapless Cordy who couldn't get near it. This idea of using any available dogsbody (pun intended) to relieve Boyd in the ruck, particularly at centre bounces and against genuine opposition ruckmen is just plain dumb. Boyd himself is not a 1st ruck, he competes well and tries to the limit of his capability but will always be a backup ruck in a better balanced side.
So what could/should have happened? Supporters near me were asking the question why not use Schache or Trengove at least at centre bounces when Boyd needed a rest? Or, how about using Boyd for all centre bounces and relieving him soon after? I'd like to suggest picking another ruckman but that idea has no currency with our match committee. The use of a 'phoney ruckman' seems to have become ingrained in recent times but it's too hit and miss for my liking and particularly as per last night, when there were other options available.

Positives:

Dunkley curbed Mitchell's influence. Without him Mitchell gets 50 touches based on that second half.

Lynch is a keeper. He's not just quick, he's nimble and he can kick the ball well.

JJ's first half was possibly the best first half he's played.

Wallis works hard.

Hunter actually kicked straight when in front of goal.

Can't be bothered with the negatives, that second half was woeful.

As per previous comments above, I'm consistently mystified by our ruck situation. In the 1st quarter, two late Hawk goals were directly the result of Ceglar hit outs to advantage against a hapless Cordy who couldn't get near it. This idea of using any available dogsbody (pun intended) to relieve Boyd in the ruck, particularly at centre bounces and against genuine opposition ruckmen is just plain dumb. Boyd himself is not a 1st ruck, he competes well and tries to the limit of his capability but will always be a backup ruck in a better balanced side.
So what could/should have happened? Supporters near me were asking the question why not use Schache or Trengove at least at centre bounces when Boyd needed a rest? Or, how about using Boyd for all centre bounces and relieving him soon after? I'd like to suggest picking another ruckman but that idea has no currency with our match committee. The use of a 'phoney ruckman' seems to have become ingrained in recent times but it's too hit and miss for my liking and particularly as per last night, when there were other options available.
If English was ready I suspect he'd play. He actually went into the centre a few times at VFL level while Campbell was rucking, playing as an extra mid.

People around us (members area) were also baffled by Trengove not playing second ruck when we had both Naughton and Cordy having little impact forward of the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume you don't mean the clear holding the ball against Adams, or the clear holding the ball against Hunter? Laughable to compare both to the Impey free given they were both obvious.
I am not reffering to holding the ball decisions.

Fact is when Hawthorn was bring beaten the umpires kept them in it. This is the Bulldogs board

I am not reffering to holding the ball decisions.

Fact is when Hawthorn was bring beaten the umpires kept them in it. This is the Bulldogs board

Well spotted on the Bulldogs board observation, I hadn't realised that when I clearly clicked to post in here to ask about Lynch (who was great again after a terrific debut) or to comment on the disgraceful free against Dahl.

You quoted me and made a comment about the frees Breust got that resulted in goals - if not the two that he kicked due to HTB, which were obvious, then what are you talking about? I'm asking is all, not here to WUM.

Last edited:
Well spotted on the Bulldogs board observation, I hadn't realised that when I clearly clicked to post in here to ask about l Lynch (who was great again after a terrific debut) or to comment on the disgraceful free against Dahl.

You quoted me and made a comment about the frees Breust got that resulted in goals - if not the two that he kicked due to HTB, which were obvious, then what are you talking about? I'm asking is all, not here to WUM.

For a start the "push" or shepherd ... which was Hawthorn's last score in the first half... Absolutely disgraceful decision

I assume you don't mean the clear holding the ball against Adams, or the clear holding the ball against Hunter? Laughable to compare both to the Impey free given they were both obvious.
The push of Lynch against Bruest was one of the worst I’ve seen this year. Pretty obvious to the umpire right there that it was nowhere near the back but he flopped and the moron umpire fell for it.

Last edited:
It went south from the start of the 3rd quarter. Wallis was an absolute liability in that quarter. His lack of pace and especially closing speed is something the opposition can exploit especially in the area of centre bounces which is where we were anihilated. If he stands beside or behind his opponent he gets beaten to the ball and left behind if his opponent gets the offload. If he stands in front he gets nudged under is neither agile nor fast enough to recover and have any impact. His lack of impact in any area of the ground (including forward and stopping rebound) where he isn't the target or doesn't get/have the ball is stark. If there was any doubt, there isn't IMO now after this game. He moves on at the end of year.

Caleb Daniel. Similar to Wallis in that if he doesn't have the ball he has almost zero impact. He can rarely impact or spoil a marking contest and his tackles are easily broken or off loaded in.
So the bloke who played forward for a lot of the game was responsible for our midfield getting smashed for a quarter and can't have an impact as a forward despite kicking three goals. What was going on at the centre bounces that Wallis didn't attend?

Meanwhile, Caleb was in three marking contests all night. One resulted in a free against for holding, one was a solid spoil on impey and the third was a fantastic spoil on Gunston going back with the flight. He laid three successful tackles, which is significantly more than several bigger bodied teammates who laid zero or one. I don't have stats on broken tackles, but I don't think he had significantly more than anyone else on the team. He also had the ball 20 times, meaning the "he can't impact of he doesn't have the ball argument" is moot, because he did have the ball.

Here's a fun stat. In the second half, Caleb and Mitch together scored 2 goals. The other 20 blokes together scored 1 behind. But sure, single out these two for their performances in the second half, while the whole team around them had * all impact as well.

Yeah they should be paying these frees but the problem is that would have to start penalising guys like Dusty, Parker, Dangerfield and Cunnington who are allowed an indefinite amount of time to dispose. I share your frustration although the Dahl and Breust ones were blatant.

God there is so much over reaction on this board. Last week it was we will win all these games, finish higher and miss out on pick 5. This weak we are hopeless.

We are an extremely young team with a lack of leaders who are going to have ups and downs.

Lippy last week had his best game for the club and this week we have people saying he’s not ready for afl football and shouldn’t be playing.

Last night gowers, ed, lippy, naughton all had down nights, last week all had good games and did their jobs.

We didn’t have Williams who allowed us more flexibility. Bont has a stinker, adams didn’t repeat his performance last week.

We are inconsistent and consistency only comes with development.

Yep there are guys who are not up to it and there are some changes to be made but at the end of the day we currently have wood, suckling, Macrae, Libba, Williams, Picken, Dickson, Dale all out injured and all are best 22. That’s a third of our team and the majority of them are our older guys.

Results like this one are going to continue to happen over the rest of the weeks with our injuries and lack of experience that’s just how it is so no point having a tantrum every time it does.
This is completely correct and rational in the cool light of day.

None the less it was bloody hard to sit through that second half.

Well summed up though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back