Wellingham delisted

Yea not the player, but the price. Overall the points were fair, but moving out of the second round in a strong draft was a poor outcome.

I agree we need a player of his type.
Who would you like to see come to Collingwood from next year's draft?

Aug 26, 2009
Yarra Bend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
With Geoff Walsh back at the helm, Wellingham has Buckley's chance as this quote from an Adelaide Advertiser in Oct 2012 demonstrates:

"Walsh said Wellingham did not have a history of high best-and-fairest results or consistency, and pick No.17 was excellent compared to the pick No.13 St Kilda would receive from Essendon for Brendon Goddard.

"His record is one of a handy player who hasn't the scaled the heights in terms of best-and-fairest results," Walsh said.

"In terms of his consistency he probably hasn't got there yet. Will he ever get there? I don't know."

Earlier in 2012 Wellingham had been suspended for 2 weeks after drinking whilst injured. I think it's fair to say Walsh wouldn't be the slightest bit interested in bringing back a player whose commitment he questioned.

DraftBalta

league leaders for flags won without cheating
Oct 16, 2017
In my pants
AFL Club
Collingwood
With Geoff Walsh back at the helm, Wellingham has Buckley's chance as this quote from an Adelaide Advertiser in Oct 2012 demonstrates:

"Walsh said Wellingham did not have a history of high best-and-fairest results or consistency, and pick No.17 was excellent compared to the pick No.13 St Kilda would receive from Essendon for Brendon Goddard.

"His record is one of a handy player who hasn't the scaled the heights in terms of best-and-fairest results," Walsh said.

"In terms of his consistency he probably hasn't got there yet. Will he ever get there? I don't know."

Earlier in 2012 Wellingham had been suspended for 2 weeks after drinking whilst injured. I think it's fair to say Walsh wouldn't be the slightest bit interested in bringing back a player whose commitment he questioned.
Had the speed, skill, and balance to be anything

Mar 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
We got the best of him and a flag :thumbsu:

Yep. He was never a great player, but we absolutely got great benefit out of his career.

He had twenty touches, two goals and eight tackles in a winning Grand Final team.

We got him as a rookie.

We traded him out for a first round pick (which he was never worth even then) and he has declined badly, meaning we won the trade hands down.

Our list management may be a shambles (it is), but we have played the markets like pro hedge fund managers with this bloke.

DraftBalta

league leaders for flags won without cheating
Oct 16, 2017
In my pants
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep. He was never a great player, but we absolutely got great benefit out of his career.

He had twenty touches, two goals and eight tackles in a winning Grand Final team.

We got him as a rookie.

We traded him out for a first round pick (which he was never worth even then) and he has declined badly, meaning we won the trade hands down.

Our list management may be a shambles (it is), but we have played the markets like pro hedge fund managers with this bloke.
We had a purple patch with what we got for Dawes (Grundy) and Daisy (10) back then

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood

He was very good on replay day. Don't think he ever recieved full recognition for his contribution on that glorious day.

One of my fondest memories is Wellingham charging though a stoppage and kicking a goal in the third. If my memory serves me well I think it was not long before Bruce uttered those wonderful words 'they are killing them now' after the Swanny goal.

Last edited:

regpies

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
didn't know whether to smile at the glorious memory or tear up (?) at the fading memory. Just love the chant .. "Co..lling...wooood" - make my day - tell me the chant will be back in 2018 - pleeeeze

Looking back I still wonder why it took me until the Harry O goal to finally believe we were going to win.

It was over with the Swanny goal after that burst of goals around start of 3rd qtr

Jafo

Premiership Player
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood

Didn’t we lose our TAC sponsorship coz of Wellingham?

Back