Wendell Sailor's Debut for the Q'ld. Reds

Remove this Banner Ad

Ms.Storm

Premiership Player
Dec 29, 2000
The GraveYard Olympic Park.Melb.
Other Teams
Melb. Storm
Wendell made an interesting debut for the Reds tonight, in what was quite a good game. He had 20 minutes of game time in the 2nd half where he appeared a little nervous and hesitant but I suppose it was to be expected.

He had an enormous cheer when he came on the ground and each time he played the ball.

I am sure half of the crowd came just to see his debut, and I suppose half of them were rugby league supporters too.

Anyway, I thought Wendell did fairly well and I am confident he may well play for the Wallabies one day soon.

Any opinions guys?;)

Cheers

Ditto your thoughts The Hippie.

As for Wendell I'm hoping that he comes over to England in November with the Wallabies,I think he's actually played Union over here for Leeds a couple of seasons ago in the 2nd division.He's got the perfect opportunity to break into the side with Joe Roff taking a year off from internationals playing in France.

Hope he goes alright, too Dipper. Be worth the admission price to see Wendell lined up on Jonah Lomu when they play the Kiwi's. You may not get to see the Wallabies though, their tour and the Kangaroo tours may not go ahead because of the terrorist troubles, according to some reports over here. Keep your fingers crossed.

and alsothe Canadian leg of the tour has had to be cancelled because of an almighty blue in the Candaian Rugby Union at the moment.

From what I understand, the Union has appointed a national coach that the players in the squad don't want to work with (dunno the reasons ? - maybe the guy is just an ar5ehole ?).

The Union is standing firm behind their man, but the players threatened to go on strike - which is just what they did.

Faced with the prospect of travelling all the way to Canada just to play their secondXV, quite sensibley the Wallabies have cancelled the whole leg and will now play an extra game in Europe, probably against Romania or some sort of French "selection" team.

A bit of a shame really, I was kinda looking foward to having a little look at the Canadians, they are supposed to have been progressing quite nicely since the last World Cup.

cheers

Hippie,
It will be a crying shame if the Kangeroo & Wallaby tours are cancelled.Personally I've been licking my lips at the prospect of England/Australia at Union for a while-I actually think the England side is a tougher nut to crack than the Lions.I'm not such a big League fan but I'd still like to see the tour go ahead as it's always great to see the Australian league sides as they play a brand of footy way beyond anything played by the English clubs.
As for Wendell Sailor v Jonah Lomu, I admire them both but as long as he doesn't get involved in a macho running at each other war but uses a bit of guile then I reckon Wendell might have a bit too much for big Jonah.I reckon he'd be strong enough to bring him down as well as those league boys lnow how to tackle.

BSA,
It's a shame regarding Canada they aren't bad at all, England went out there in our summer whilst the Lions were in Australia & so we effectively had a 2nd string team out & we beat them pretty comprehensively but I think that was more a reflection of the strength in depth of English rugby than the Canadians being a bad side.

It's official now Dip, the Kangaroo tour is off. Wallabies are still going at this stage, final desicion in about a week and a half, just before they're due to fly out.

Golly, I hope at least the Wallabies tour goes ahead

I was really looking forward to seeeing some footy in the "off season"

Does anyone know if the Knights vs. the winner in the English League, trip is still on? Hope that one won't be cancelled too.

:(

Originally posted by DIPPER
Ditto your thoughts The Hippie.

As for Wendell I'm hoping that he comes over to England in November with the Wallabies,I think he's actually played Union over here for Leeds a couple of seasons ago in the 2nd division.He's got the perfect opportunity to break into the side with Joe Roff taking a year off from internationals playing in France.
Wendell Sailor shouldn't even be playing for the reds let alone australia. He should have to go through the whole process like the rest of the players in australia. Why isn't he starting in club rugby and making his way up? I realise there is a contract involoved but what about all the new younger players, who should be given a go. The only reason why Sailor is playing rugby is because he knew that his rugbly league career was as good as over. Just another question, has anyone actually seen him kick a footy? It's a skill that all rugby wingers require and i doubt he has half the skill in the kicking game compared to any other state or australian winger.

Originally posted by The Hippie
It's official now Dip, the Kangaroo tour is off. Wallabies are still going at this stage, final desicion in about a week and a half, just before they're due to fly out.

I'd like to know who your official source was!!

I'd be getting my information from somewhere else from now on.

What are you goin' on about, TD? At the time I posted that, the players had said they weren't going to tour and it was cancelled. Pressure from the press and public caused the ARL to rethink it and the tour was back on a couple of weeks later. It was in all the papers :D

I never believe what i read in the papers :D

Besides ... if the Kanagroos decided not to tour, like the Wallabies were/are, it would have been detrimental to the game of Rugby League. It's been in the dulrums for a while ... calling off the Kangaroo tour would have exacerbated things.

One step closer to the Rugby Union takeover of Rugby League!!! :D:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Don.....

It won't happen...Union taking over League.....at least not for a long long time...(I hope)...I love both codes and would hate for a "hybrid" game of the 2 codes.

I gather by now, you know the Kangaroos decided not to tour (given weight by only 4 or so senior players..whereas the remainder wanted to tour).....so that comment was right.
Pressure by the English papers, people and even here the r/l supporters, etc. put the pressure back on the players to tour..and we now know the tour is on...even though of course its only 3 tests for the Kangaroos:p

Do you think both codes of rugby will join forces??:eek:

Cheers

Re: Top Don.....

Originally posted by Ms.Storm
It won't happen...Union taking over League.....at least not for a long long time...(I hope)...I love both codes and would hate for a "hybrid" game of the 2 codes.

No way!! Forget about a "hybrid" game ... i want a full-blown take-over!!!! :D:D

Do you think both codes of rugby will join forces??:eek:

Nope ... ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back