brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Commencing May 1 8:30pm on SoHo (Foxtel Channel 115).

http://wentworth.sohotv.com.au

The much discussed reimagining of Prisoner makes it's debut Wednesday night. A 17 minute preview is available on Foxtel Go, and after watching that preview, I want more. It's very rare to get an Australian drama that is this quality. It's also even rarer to have a reprisal of a show that isn't a complete disaster. Wentworth is both a brilliant reimagining as well as brilliant in quality.

Add your thoughts about the show here as the series pans out.

NB: Talk about the original series (including it's current run on 111Hits) can be found here: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-prisoner-appreciation-thread-post-557-no-spoilers.822165/

Is Soho in the basic package?

My remote rarely leaves FoxFooty or CNN.

The rest is pure...

rubbish-needing-to-be-removed-photo.jpg

Danielle Cormack (Bea Smith) and Leeana Walsman (Erica Davidson) will be on Top Ten (8am, Max - channel 805), where there will be a sneak peek of the show (I assume this would be the same sneak peek that's on Foxtel Go) plus they will be counting down the top 10 prison songs.

https://www.facebook.com/wentworthtv/posts/362195743881151

I'm going to give Wentworth a look, but I will say this. I am absolutely disgusted with what the producers have done. I am disgusted that they have done nothing but exploit the original Prisoner series, in the worst possible way to create an entirely new series, that simply has nothing to do with the original series! They have ripped off character names, that should be forever left where they are, as the original iconic characters that they were. Now suddenly Australian TV is going to have TWO Bea Smiths, two Vera Bennetts, two Frankie Doyles etc. etc. This is a shocking corruption of iconic TV characters for commercial gain, as a desperate bid to attract the Prisoner audience. This new series has been heavily promoted as being related to Prisoner, when clearly, it has nothing to do with it! It's set in contemporary times. Instead of giving us a prequel to the original Prisoner, as was touted, they're just ripping off the character names and the name of the detention centre! As a Prisoner fan, I am absolutely horrified by this. Shame, producers. Shame, shame, shame!

I disagree with what Gytre's comments. I was sceptical at what they would do with the 'reimagining' but they've done enough with most of the characters to give them some of their old traits (Franky's sexual preference, Vera's social ineptness etc) but at the same time develop some other areas of the characters (like Bea's vulnerability at being a first time inmate).

I don't think it was touted as a prequel (well I never took it as a prequel), but it is based on Bea's early time in Wentworth. Perhaps as the series goes on, Bea will develop into the top dog the original Bea is famed for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Catherine McClements gave one of the better performances i've ever seen in an episode of Tangle last year so I hope she gets a lot of screen time in this.

I disagree with what Gytre's comments. I was sceptical at what they would do with the 'reimagining' but they've done enough with most of the characters to give them some of their old traits (Franky's sexual preference, Vera's social ineptness etc) but at the same time develop some other areas of the characters (like Bea's vulnerability at being a first time inmate).

I don't think it was touted as a prequel (well I never took it as a prequel), but it is based on Bea's early time in Wentworth. Perhaps as the series goes on, Bea will develop into the top dog the original Bea is famed for.
That's not "developing" the characters. That's ripping them off. If the show had been a prequel, and was set in the 70s it may have credibility. And the new Doreen is a gin. Where's the "old trait" in that? It just seems so wrong to me that they can pervert those old characters in such a way and place them in an entirely different era. I'm surprised that there isn't some copyright law protecting TV characters.

That's not "developing" the characters. That's ripping them off. If the show had been a prequel, and was set in the 70s it may have credibility. And the new Doreen is a gin. Where's the "old trait" in that? It just seems so wrong to me that they can pervert those old characters in such a way and place them in an entirely different era. I'm surprised that there isn't some copyright law protecting TV characters.

Oh dear.

I thought Wentworth was supposed to be a reboot of Prisoner using the old stories and characters set in modern times. Everything I have read about it has been singing its praises big time. I'm cynical enough to know that it probably wont live up to the pre-air hype but I have no problem with them using the old series as a template.

My biggest concern for Wentworth is that all the screws/inmates would be great looking model/actress types. I always liked that the actresses used in Prisoner were more 'Character Actors' than leading types, as that gave it added authenticity. Prisoners in real life tend to be rough.

I guess if it bothers you so much then don't watch it. But I know I will be watching.

Some very interesting Prisoner references in that ep.

Jacs singing the Prisoner theme during the police raid - like a changing of the guard.

Meg Jackson being stabbed and Will cradling her during the riot (a reverse of what happened in the corresponding riot in Prisoner)

I loved it but was shocked that Meg Jackson was killed off so early. Loved that the riot scenes and fights looked a lot more realistic than the original series (not that it's hard to do). Franky Doyle is a ripper but the line of the night has to go to Jacs calling her a 'clitty-licker'

I loved it but was shocked that Meg Jackson was killed off so early. Loved that the riot scenes and fights looked a lot more realistic than the original series (not that it's hard to do). Franky Doyle is a ripper but the line of the night has to go to Jacs calling her a 'clitty-licker'

Where was it noted she was dead? Why have her as the main star if thats the case.

Some series/flicks grow on you, but this one hit me like a ton of bricks, in a very good way. Acting and characters all around are impressive, and judging by the previews, this show will build momentum pretty well. Only realised later when channel surfing that Channel 111 screened Wentworth at the same time as 115 (with previews and BTS interviews). is this just for the debut episode?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back