We're getting Good Friday

Remove this Banner Ad

May 16, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
North Melbourne to play historic Good Friday game, Western Bulldogs likely opponent
5d614d1feb638f9a78e9f11bb6efd120

SAM EDMUND, Herald Sun
7 minutes ago
Subscriber only

NORTH Melbourne will play in football’s first Good Friday game.

The Kangaroos, who first approached the AFL with the concept in 1992, will be confirmed as one of the participants in the marquee timeslot when the 2017 fixture is released on Thursday.

Their likely opponent will be the blockbuster-starved Western Bulldogs, who are set to be rewarded for its stunning 2016 season with a place in the stand-alone twilight contest.

NEW TALENT: YOUR CLUB’S 2016 DRAFT PICKS

FUTURE PICKS: WHO YOUR TEAM WANTS TO LOSE IN 2017

Carlton and St Kilda also presented compelling cases to the AFL, with the Saints putting in a joint submission with the Dogs built around a celebration of junior football.

But the AFL will almost certainly announce that it will rotate the two teams involved every year.

Next year’s historic game is expected to be played from 4pm or 4.30pm, most likely at the now AFL-owned Etihad Stadium and integrated into Channel Seven’s Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal.

a7ca2f42ed4ec90160362ac10d53603a

Ben Cunnington gives Jake Stringer the slip. Picture: Michael Klein
Good Friday falls on April 14 next year, putting it in Round 4.

The AFL Commission approved the concept last year, breaking the long-held tradition of keeping the religious day football-free.

The inaugural game will take place 25 years after former Kangaroos chief executive Greg Miller put the club’s case to league heavyweights.

“We put the application in and I think the chairman of the AFL then was John Kennedy Sr and being a good catholic, he was dead against it,” Miller said.

“Our argument, even back then, was that all these other sports, movie theatres and all forms of entertainment were operating, except the AFL.

“AFL has been the last sport to come onboard. Quite clearly it can fit in with what is a family day by being held later in the afternoon and linking in with the Royal Children’s Hospital Appeal.

“It was always a good fit I thought.”

Following decades of failed campaigning by clubs, AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan declared after July’s Commission meeting that there was “momentum” behind the game.

“There’s no impediment at commission level and a level of enthusiasm to do it,” McLachlan said.

I suppose it'd be ok if we rotated every two years with Saints and Carlton.

2017 - North v Dogs
2018 - StK v Carlton
2019 - Dogs v North
2020 - Carlton v StK

Other than that, the AFL can get ****ed with rotation.

But the AFL will almost certainly announce that it will rotate the two teams involved every year.

This bit can **** right off through until they throw Collingwood and Essendon off ANZAC day and take Carlton and Richmond off the season opener.

But those clubs came up with those ideas, so should keep them. If we want a blockbuster, we should get off our arses and come up with an original idea and pioneer it, like they did.

North Melbourne to play historic Good Friday game, Western Bulldogs likely opponent

SAM EDMUND, Herald Sun
7 minutes ago
Subscriber only

NORTH Melbourne will play in football’s first Good Friday game.

The Kangaroos, who first approached the AFL with the concept in 1992, will be confirmed as one of the participants in the marquee timeslot when the 2017 fixture is released on Thursday.

Their likely opponent will be the blockbuster-starved Western Bulldogs, who are set to be rewarded for its stunning 2016 season with a place in the stand-alone twilight contest.

NEW TALENT: YOUR CLUB’S 2016 DRAFT PICKS

FUTURE PICKS: WHO YOUR TEAM WANTS TO LOSE IN 2017

Carlton and St Kilda also presented compelling cases to the AFL, with the Saints putting in a joint submission with the Dogs built around a celebration of junior football.

Next year’s historic game is expected to be played from 4pm or 4.30pm, most likely at the now AFL-owned Etihad Stadium and integrated into Channel Seven’s Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal.

a7ca2f42ed4ec90160362ac10d53603a

Ben Cunnington gives Jake Stringer the slip. Picture: Michael Klein
Good Friday falls on April 14 next year, putting it in Round 4.

The AFL Commission approved the concept last year, breaking the long-held tradition of keeping the religious day football-free.

The inaugural game will take place 25 years after former Kangaroos chief executive Greg Miller put the club’s case to league heavyweights.

“We put the application in and I think the chairman of the AFL then was John Kennedy Sr and being a good catholic, he was dead against it,” Miller said.

“Our argument, even back then, was that all these other sports, movie theatres and all forms of entertainment were operating, except the AFL.

“AFL has been the last sport to come onboard. Quite clearly it can fit in with what is a family day by being held later in the afternoon and linking in with the Royal Children’s Hospital Appeal.

“It was always a good fit I thought.”

Following decades of failed campaigning by clubs, AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan declared after July’s Commission meeting that there was “momentum” behind the game.

“There’s no impediment at commission level and a level of enthusiasm to do it,” McLachlan said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suppose it'd be ok if we rotated every two years with Saints and Carlton.

2017 - North v Dogs
2018 - StK v Carlton
2019 - Dogs v North
2020 - Carlton v StK

Other than that, the AFL can get stuffed with rotation.
How about something like...

2017 - NM v Dogs
2018 - Carlton v Saints
2019 - Dogs v Saints
2020 - Carlton v NM
2021 - Carlton v Dogs
2022 - NM v Saints

Rinse and repeat.

I believe that it will be our home game
We need to have a massive build up, pack out Etihad and we should hopefully be able to keep this as our marquee game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe that it will be our home game
We need to have a massive build up, pack out Etihad and we should hopefully be able to keep this as our marquee game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they're going to rotate it I might even boycott.

Why can't there be two games on, one after the other? 4 teams every year..
I agree though, it's rubbish. How are you supposed to build on it from year to year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back