We're getting Good Friday

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't recall, but I'm not sure the 1994 ANZAC Day game was announced as a recurring fixture in perpetuity. It was just the fixture. Then 94,000 turned up and the AFL realised it was sitting on a goldmine. Same with the R1 Carlton-Tigers game.

But neither had a public quantifier of if this doesn't work we will take it off you.

TBH I'd be all for no recurring fixtures and teams earning the right to them.

The season opener should be a grand final replay.

ANZAC day should be the two top rated Vic sides of the previous year.

Essendon finished dead last yet they get the most premium fixture because they helped 'invent it' we've never finished last but have been excluded from Friday nights.

The AFL is just a business and they can make noises about equality between clubs but they actually aren't for that.

Look at how resistant they've been to even giving this fixture to begin with. 30 years FFS, bet the world doesn't end just because there's footy on Good Friday. I'd suggest it'd be pretty entrenched if we'd been given it against Carlton and allowed to build it through the 90s.

But neither had a public quantifier of if this doesn't work we will take it off you.

TBH I'd be all for no recurring fixtures and teams earning the right to them.

The season opener should be a grand final replay.

ANZAC day should be the two top rated Vic sides of the previous year.

Essendon finished dead last yet they get the most premium fixture because they helped 'invent it' we've never finished last but have been excluded from Friday nights.

The AFL is just a business and they can make noises about equality between clubs but they actually aren't for that.

Look at how resistant they've been to even giving this fixture to begin with. 30 years FFS, bet the world doesn't end just because there's footy on Good Friday. I'd suggest it'd be pretty entrenched if we'd been given it against Carlton and allowed to build it through the 90s.

The penny dropped for the AFL when we were consistently getting 55k every time we played Carlton on a friday night at the MCG.........that many non following public rolled up to see a game.

The fixture will never be fair . unfortunately.

If the Etihad stadium is full, the game is a great spectacle then the AfL hands become tied to give North and the bulldogs the game again , otherwise ll other blockbuster games come under scrunity.

Unfortunately it wont be full because myself and my wife will not attend due to it being on Good Friday and while it will be near capacity some will stay away due to their Christian beliefs....

Well, its on us now.

Has to be a sellout. Not negotiable. Cancel any Easter holiday plans now.

Invite your friends, invite your family, tell em its for charity.

Make sure you make a contribution to the RMCH appeal SPECIFICALLY via the method recommended through the club, so we can deliver a big fat cheque at the end of it.

Stuff the whole "let's hope both sets of supporters turn up and fill the place out" talk.

It's our home game and with the threat of rotation out there, we need OUR members, supporters, fairweather fans and even those dickheads on Facebook to fill the joint out. Let's make it clear to all that it is a majority North crowd because if the perception is that it's a poor turnout from North supporters, we will give them ammunition.

So get out there, mark the date in your calendars now, recruit as many as possible to rock up in North gear, procreate if you can, let's lock this s**t in.

Stuff the whole "let's hope both sets of supporters turn up and fill the place out" talk.

It's our home game and with the threat of rotation out there, we need OUR members, supporters, fairweather fans and even those dickheads on Facebook to fill the joint out. Let's make it clear to all that it is a majority North crowd because if the perception is that it's a poor turnout from North supporters, we will give them ammunition.

So get out there, mark the date in your calendars now, recruit as many as possible to rock up in North gear, procreate if you can, let's lock this s**t in.
Tautology alert.

Unfortunately it wont be full because myself and my wife will not attend due to it being on Good Friday and while it will be near capacity some will stay away due to their Christian beliefs....
Unless you have a reserved seat it could still be full. And if you have a reserved seat do the right thing and let someone who doesn't share your beliefs go to the game. It's what Jesus would do

Seeing it is our home game, why do we have to share the gate with westerns ? does Anzac Day, Dreamtime at the G, or Mothers Day games share the gate every year, i didn't think so, but stand to be corrected if so.
I infer from this we have confidence behind the scenes that the Dogs can return the favour next year... i.e this will be a recurring fixture.

If we really thought this was a one time deal then no way would we share the gate...

Unless you have a reserved seat it could still be full. And if you have a reserved seat do the right thing and let someone who doesn't share your beliefs go to the game. It's what Jesus would do
:thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Kangaroos supporters I have a question

I'm currently working in a marketing role.
I'm convinced AFL will give North and Bulldogs possibly 2 years of trial with Good Friday. At the end of 2 years the AFL might either decide to chose other teams or replace or team or even scrap the event on variable factors

1, ratings might not be high enough
2, attendance is not attractive
3, current matchups themselves might be deemed to be lopsided with Bulldogs right now at the top while Kangaroos at a different phase

My question is do you think the current matchup will be sustaniable for Kangaroos over the next 2 years and what might hold Kangaroos or Bulldogs from making the event a success?

Hi Kangaroos supporters I have a question

I'm currently working in a marketing role.
I'm convinced AFL will give North and Bulldogs possibly 2 years of trial with Good Friday. At the end of 2 years the AFL might either decide to chose other teams or replace or team or even scrap the event on variable factors

1, ratings might not be high enough
2, attendance is not attractive
3, current matchups themselves might be deemed to be lopsided with Bulldogs right now at the top while Kangaroos at a different phase

My question is do you think the current matchup will be sustaniable for Kangaroos over the next 2 years and what might hold Kangaroos or Bulldogs from making the event a success?

My opinion.

Yes it's sustainable. What might hold us back from making it a success. Etihad Stadium.

There's a big reason why every Melbourne blockbuster to date is held at the MCG. Etihad Stadium has so much premium seating that clubs either have no ability, no incentive or a combination of both to sell. This game would get 65k at MCG easily IMHO for year 1 built up right. It will be tough to get Etihad within striking distance of 50k.

My opinion.

Yes it's sustainable. What might hold us back from making it a success. Etihad Stadium.

There's a big reason why every Melbourne blockbuster to date is held at the MCG. Etihad Stadium has so much premium seating that clubs either have no ability, no incentive or a combination of both to sell. This game would get 65k at MCG easily IMHO for year 1 built up right. It will be tough to get Etihad within striking distance of 50k.

Do you think the game will entertain viewers at home?

We get what you are after with your original and now present question, whether North are good enough to put on a spectacle for neutrals and viewers.

Truth be told, who knows what you are going to get from North next year or the year after, but just a point worth raising here is that 18 of our current squad has played 25+ games, there's plenty of experience there, a lot now depends on the next echelon to lift and for our guys like Ziebell, Dumont and Cunnington to go up a level to replace the output of the four that are gone.

As for the youth, it's an unknown quality, but we haven't ignored the draft at all for many years now and we drafted in some young talent and are targeting foot speed in the draft (and in trades, Ahern (though not till 2018 really), Williams and Hvorat, who is nippy enough).

To conclusively answer your question, from a North perspective, I'm confident we'll put on a good enough display for viewers to enjoy as we still have an experienced list, drafted with a medium-long term plan in mind (a lot of us rate our kids and have been crying out for games to be given to Clarke, Dumont, Daw (not so young, but exciting still), Mountford and Vickers-Willis (who was an emergency a few times) and with plenty of youth running around for both the Dogs and us, there will be plenty of excitement in the crowd. Adding to this, North has only lost under 5 games in a year, something like once in about 35 years (thanks Tas for that stat), so at worst, we'll be competitive (due to the reasons above, plus the excitement of playing on a big stage brings out the best in our club) and at best, we can beat the dogs (our talls still s**t on theirs as a collective unit, it's the midfield that's the issue for us atm).

Seeing it is our home game, why do we have to share the gate with westerns ? does Anzac Day, Dreamtime at the G, or Mothers Day games share the gate every year, i didn't think so, but stand to be corrected if so.
Crazy Carl was on Adelaide radio this avo. He said that we are playing the Dogs twice next year and we would likely come to an angreememt with them to split the gate of both games.

He also said if the AFL did decide to rotate teams through the fixture he would be asking the question, when will ANZAC Day be rotated?

There are too many unknowns at this point in time. Our primary ball winning core group is still intact, we took a hammering on the way we scored in recent years.

We have lost Boomer, Wells, Petrie and Dal Santo. In terms of goals and assists that is 36 +15 for Boomer, 5 +20 for Wells, 6 +10 for Dal Santo and Petrie 27 +12, so those four represent 74 +57, they had a direct impact in about 44% of our goals scored this year and would be a significantly higher ratio of score involvements.

I think we will win plenty of the ball next season, it is going to come down how well we go about changing up the structure. I think Dumont and Clarke will step up, we will have to wait and see if guys like Waite and Higgins can play full seasons.

I would like to see us play a more aggressive corridor-using style next year, we did this year when we made the focused effort to get off to a hot start and we managed to kick 16 goals, 17 goals, 21 goals, 20 goals and 18 goals in the first 5 weeks before playing the dogs and we kind of reverted to a very ugly ball moving style as the injuries started to rack up we progressively lost most of our momentum.

It made a big difference early last year when we had guys like Waite, Higgins and Garner kicking goals. I think Wood, Waite, Higgins and Garner playing a full season would significant improve our forward structure.

In the middle a lot is going to fall on the shoulders of Ziebell, Cunnington, Jacobs and McDonald, they have to step up and lead.

I think our biggest problem is that Scott is far too negative of a coach, negative in an ineffective manner, he often played 7 or more defenders who quite often had negligible defensive impact and it just allowed the opposition to have extra players to rebound defensively into attack and have loose players around the ball in the middle. I think he over-complicated the game plan and tried to devise a strategy to counter the fact we haven't recruited or developed a lot of leg speed on the list during his time.

The recruitment of guys like Williams and Hrovat is interesting and if we draft some good young kids with some grunt in the draft I can see them playing a role next year to fill some of the depth spots in which we often had plodders fill them previously.

A lot is going to come down to if Scott grows as a coach or not, he didn't set a good enough standard previously, failed to get the structure right on the park and it made us vulnerable. He has to do better or else we have no hope. Our best performance last year was when he wasn't coaching and Crocker who can't coach was given the reigns. That about sums up our issues.

I think Scott can be a good coach, he just needs to stop talking bullshit, focus on the skills and the way we move the ball. We have the cattle to beat anyone out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back