"We're not going to panic"

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? like what?

Are you aware that for systems to work, players need to put an effort in. So systematic problems in my view is a symptom not the cause. We got to top 2 FFS. Our systems work fine. You come across as someone who just throws the baby out with the bathwater as soon as a problem occurs. The reason we lost, pure and simple, the players work rate was non existent from the first bounce. To think its more then that is just asinine.

are you saying the players weren't trying?

are you saying the players weren't trying?

I think there are certain plays during the game that highlight that some players weren't playing to the best of their ability. Playing with a thought of preservation for finals is my conclusion. I can assure you there would be a half a dozen players feeling pretty shitty about the game they played.

I think there are certain plays during the game that highlight that some players weren't playing to the best of their ability. Playing with a thought of preservation for finals is my conclusion. I can assure you there would be a half a dozen players feeling pretty shitty about the game they played.

You didn't answer the question

Were they or weren't they trying?

You don't switch bruise free or as I like to call it Jenkins footy on & off. You don't switch effort on & off either

Of course you can. The players didn't want to body opponents. Classic preservation footy. Not all our players did that but there were certainly some that did which included some of our better players. Some players probably had a Grand Final on their mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a moot point now. The coaching/management panicked when they decided that the 20% chance of "Crows err in appealing Sloane ban" would reflect poorly on them personally, whereas "Sloane stars in elimination final" wouldn't carry the disclaimer that this is inferior to all possible scenarios involving a win against WCE.

Maybe if they don't panic now we'll get the meaningful analysis that should have come after the Geelong loss or the periods against Essendon, Port where they played above themselves.

"It's not time to panic"

How many times do we hear that from a coach this after a crushing loss? Don Pyke was at it again last night, shades of Neil Craig.

Of course you're not going to panic if that means taking off your clothes and running around in circles screaming, but it's just coach-speak for doing more of the same and not making any unforced changes to a team that was clearly inadequate last night. If however "panicking" means giving them a rocket and banishing the usual underperformers then we should by all means panic. If not panicking means considering but deciding not to tag a 40 possession winner like Gaff, then please panic Don. Our year is on the line.
Our year was on the line last Friday night and we failed miserably!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back