2nds Werribee 2017 (No finals. Matt Hanson wins BnF. Thanks for the memories 'Bees)

naturally north

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 8, 2008
Waiting for Lindsay Thomas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
T**ty Bong two's
Reckon we need to get him in the 1s ASAP

Don't disagree Maj also needs to remain on the track and train consistently. I am confident we will see him soon enough for a decent spell of games. he needs to force near 35 yr old Waite out of the side.

I love the collective gasp as the ball travels in Majak's direction at AFL level, not just North fans too. AFL at days end is about entertainment and Maj certainly can provide that.

He imo has 50 plus goal FF/relief ruck written all over him. The ball is in his court.

Donkey Chop

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Who do you suggest he replaces? Brown hasn't done much wrong this year, Waite is our best forward, and we need to get games into Wood. He will only get a game if somebody is injured or suspended.

Wood isn't in the discussion imo. He can play that wing/forward role. Has the tank and the agility to play further up the ground.

Three tall forwards - Waite, Brown & Majak.

Brown can't ruck and wouldn't need to if Daw played.

I'd be looking at losing a half forward or or half back.

Donkey Chop

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Don't disagree Maj also needs to remain on the track and train consistently. I am confident we will see him soon enough for a decent spell of games. he needs to force near 35 yr old Waite out of the side.

I love the collective gasp as the ball travels in Majak's direction at AFL level, not just North fans too. AFL at days end is about entertainment and Maj certainly can provide that.

He imo has 50 plus goal FF/relief ruck written all over him. The ball is in his court.

100% on board. Had a bet that Maj would kick 40 goals this year. Looks like the parmas on me. Still think I'll have the last laugh though

lockheed

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2005
Night Vale
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Wood isn't in the discussion imo. He can play that wing/forward role. Has the tank and the agility to play further up the ground.

Three tall forwards - Waite, Brown & Majak.

Brown can't ruck and wouldn't need to if Daw played.

I'd be looking at losing a half forward or or half back.
My concern is that because Brad is set on playing Preuss as a second ruckman (and Pruess' form is certainly good), all other things being equal, unless injuries Waite or Brown get injured, there doesn't seem to be a spot for Daw in the team.

Donkey Chop

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My concern is that because Brad is set on playing Preuss as a second ruckman (and Pruess' form is certainly good), all other things being equal, unless injuries Waite or Brown get injured, there doesn't seem to be a spot for Daw in the team.

What makes you think that? Brad has always rolled with a genuine ruck & ruck forward. Preuss is competing with Goldy not Maj. I know Preuss has kicked goals but he's a statue that needs the ball on his head and offers nothing when the ball is on the ground. Not knocking Preuss, (pretty excited about what he could become) just think he's a ruck that might snag a goal. Maj gives us better structure, I see him as a forward that can provide ruck support. As Rob Zombie said in the podcast, ideally for North the ultimate would be Preuss as the no1 ruck and Maj playing that forward/ruck role.

Some clever list management needed at the end of the year

lockheed

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2005
Night Vale
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
What makes you think that? Brad has always rolled with a genuine ruck & ruck forward. Preuss is competing with Goldy not Maj. I know Preuss has kicked goals but he's a statue that needs the ball on his head and offers nothing when the ball is on the ground. Not knocking Preuss, (pretty excited about what he could become) just think he's a ruck that might snag a goal. Maj gives us better structure, I see him as a forward that can provide ruck support. As Rob Zombie said in the podcast, ideally for North the ultimate would be Preuss as the no1 ruck and Maj playing that forward/ruck role.

Some clever list management needed at the end of the year
1:34 into Brad's last press conference; it's still on the NM web page.

You're right to an extent; Brad responds to a question regarding getting Preuss into the team. He doesn't mention Daw but then, the question wasn't about Daw. So perhaps I've read more into Brad's statement then he intended.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1:34 into Brad's last press conference; it's still on the NM web page.

You're right to an extent; Brad responds to a question regarding getting Preuss into the team. He doesn't mention Daw but then, the question wasn't about Daw. So perhaps I've read more into Brad's statement then he intended.

Nope, no interest in Daw. Not a smart operator our Brad.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 24, 2006
Atlantis
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Beat me by that much! When I decided to post there no real report of the Bees V Blues practice match on Sunday. But now there is another great report by our NMFC media team posted by the indefatigable GiantRoo

Anyway. Some observations from a lay observer. Given it was only a VFL practice match. I have also seen a few other Werribee games this year.

Preuss - A Colossus. To have a big bloke who is such a competitor is a joy for this old time supporter to behold. Dominated the ruck in every game I have seen and against the Blues should have kicked 5 or 6 with better finishing. But did manage a couple of clutch goals. The Difference.

Neilson. Wow. What an improver. Last year, I thought he was lucky to be playing in Werribee two's, let alone the firsts. Looked very slow, fumbly and completely lacking in confidence. Each game I have seen this year he has been solid down back, keeping his opponent quiet and looking better in each game with ball in hand. Still not sure that he won’t be a classic tweener. Harry Mckay towered over him and he kicked 3 or 4 though none were Nielson’ fault. At AFL level he will need to take the tall forwards and just not sure he will be big enough. Love to be proved wrong of course.

Zurhaar – What I like about him is his ability to get where the ball is. Had proved very handy when he was playing half forward but as the Website report says when he was given a crack as a midfielder in this game he really took proper advantage of Preuss’s domination. Good to have rookies who actually seem to have some X Factor about them.

Anderson – Was probably best on ground in the first quarter. Quieter after that but a spent a lot of time on half forward to give others a go. Does a lot of 1% stuff that probably dosen’t get noticed or picked up in the stats. Disposal was very good against the Blues. Like Daw he needs to be playing AFL so we can find out how good he is.

Jacobs – Did a few nice things early but was relatively quiet. I don’t think he played after half time. So hopefully it was more that he may be in the mix for Seniors next week rather than any injury concerns.

Williams - Generally looks a like schoolboy playing a man's game. But there have been times, especially against the Dons, when he has shown glimpses of the player he could become. Has the speed, desire to run and create and skill set that if it could be replicated at AFL level would make watching NMFC play even more enjoyable. Has also made several tackles and smothers, an indication of both his speed and desire. One to watch. In the Blues game what I noticed as well is he has a pretty good leap. Nearly took a couple of Garner like speccies.

Watson - Liked what I saw of him in the games he has played. He has made some errors in all those games but most of those were due to youthful exuberance and was he beaten in a few one on ones due to his current lack of body strength. Both issues understandable at this stage of his career. In general, I thought his reading of the play, skill level and desire to create play from the back half was very good and surprised that he has actually spent some time in Werribee 2’s. Possibly team balance and/or getting the Werribee/MMFC player mix right. Too early to tell obviously but my fear with Watson is that is also be a tweener. Not big/strong enough to go with the No1 and 2 key forward’s of an AFL side but not skilled/ferocious enough to be that 3rd or 4th AFL level defender. Probably competing with EVW for that spot.

Taylor - need to see more of him but a bit vanilla for me so far. Nice kick. Nice mover, Seems a good bloke who tries hard but hard to see what he can offer at AFL level so far. Not Tailor made for AFL. In the Carlton game he was caught one out on the last line a couple of times and did well.

Mountford.- has been good and very reliable in all VFL games I have seen. I don’t think I am impressed with him as much as others are but a couple of things he did under severe pressure in the Casey game were terrific. He obviously ticks a lot of the Development coaches boxes but I am just not 100% convinced he has the elite skills required of a regular AFL midfielder. More of a 50 gamer than a 200 gamer in my view.

Fordham - He and Daw are a couple of my favorites as I have seen so much of them at VFL level so I suspect I am a little biased but again today Will was involved in a lot of the positive forward thrusts that Werribee made. But he seems to be the forgotten man in terms of VFL and player reports. Like he has been written off already . But I would rate him the equal of say Mountford/Mullet at VFL level. His disposal can range from the sublime to the ridiculous but (like Daw) he is what I call a “clutch” player. When the game he is on the line he will be in the thick of it trying to get his team the victory. In the position he plays which is Outside Wing he does need to find more of the ball perhaps. Some junk time stuff to pad out his stats and impress the coaches. Also, not because he shirks the contest, far from it, but just because even outside players need some physicality at AFL level he probably needs to get in the gym. As long it dosen’t detract from the drive, speed and dash that are his main attributes. A certain J. Williams may also have a say in his future.

Daw – Has not been in his best form so far this year but does seem to be over the quad injury that hampered him early in the year. Did a few nice things against the Blues but was well in Preuss’ big shadow. I am not 100% sure Majak will make it as a regular AFL player. He has the tools but what he desperately needs now is to play a number of AFL games in a row to see if he can really make it. Like Ben Brown has had. But reality is, now we are competitive again in 2017, that BBB. Waite and Wood (probably Preuss as well) are ahead of him. I don’t think playing in the VFL anymore is going to make him any better. It is a shame a ‘loan’ system like they have in the EPL probably wouldn’t work in the AFL .

Match result
Werribee 13.9.87 defeated Northern Blues 11.6.72

In action
Jed Anderson
Ben Jacobs
Daniel Nielson
Braydon Preuss
Declan Watson
Josh Williams
Will Fordham
Majak Daw
Mitch Hibberd
Declan Mountford
Cameron Zurhaar
Matthew Taylor

Story of the game
While the two sides weren’t playing for points, there were certainly no backward steps in a spirited affair at Arden Street.

It was a see-sawing battle for much of the day, with the teams going into the final change tied at 60 points apiece.

With several North-listed players, including Cameron Zurhaar and Braydon Preuss standing tall when it mattered most, Werribee ran away late to record a 15-point victory.

Talking points
Zurhaar’s big finish
The rookie gained some valuable experience in the JLT Series, and continues to impress in his first season.

While he’s been played predominantly in the forward half in his first few games, the youngster moved into the midfield in the second half with great effect.

“He (Zurhaar) was instrumental late in the day. He was involved in our first three clearances and our first three goals in the last quarter,” Development Coach David Loader said.

“He really used his power and his energy around the footy to be explosive and get the ball forward.

“He’s physically capable of matching it with guys who’ve been playing at the higher level for years.”

Preuss’ multiple roles
While Preuss has been a dominant performer in the ruck, he was equally effective in attack against the Blues.

The big man pulled down several strong marks when the game was in the balance in the final term, slotting a couple of vital goals.

“His tap-work was exceptional as it usually is,” Loader said.

“When he did play forward, for the limited time he got there, he ended up with five or six shots on goal.”

Williams’ continued improvement
North fans would have been excited watching a few of Josh Williams’ outstanding runs this year, but he’s quickly building a nicely rounded game.

The youngster is finding more of the ball by the week, as a vital link in the chain going into attack for Werribee.

“Josh continues to take steps forward every game he plays,” Loader said.

“Every time Josh plays a game he seems to show a little bit more of what he’s capable of.”

Williams spent more time in the forward line on Sunday, making himself dangerous around the contest.

Daw flies
Majak Daw provided one of the highlights of the day, with a screamer in the third quarter.

Emerging midfielders
North’s match committee can have plenty of confidence in the club’s depth, with youngsters Mitch Hibberd, Declan Mountford and Will Fordham all influential again.

Mountford played his first game in three weeks after being the designated match-day emergency twice, but didn’t look to have missed a beat.

“He’s slotted in like he hasn’t missed any footy,” Loader said.

“His ability to run and drive with his legs and open the game up and create space, to get some good entries inside 50 was exceptional.

“Three or four times today he showed us he’s got some real A-grade qualities in that area.”

Hibberd has regularly been amongst the Tigers’ bests this year, enjoying a switch from defence on Sunday.

“He played on the wing for the first quarter, then went inside and played as an inside-midfielder which is a totally different role for him,” Loader added.

“It was great to see Mitch embrace the contest and try and get around the footy.”

Fordham ran hard all day and slotted a classy running goal from 50 in the first term.

lockheed

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2005
Night Vale
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
Daw has been given opportunities in the past and has been very underwhelming.
Reckon that Preuss offers more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Preuss is certainly a better ruck option, and however well Daw might play for Werribee, it's hard to fit him into our forward line at the moment. But given that Daw's last two games, the Adelaide final and an early game this year, were each said to be his best game, and that he has continued to improve, I just don't understand why some many people are so negative about him.

wazza03

All Australian
Aug 31, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Preuss is certainly a better ruck option, and however well Daw might play for Werribee, it's hard to fit him into our forward line at the moment. But given that Daw's last two games, the Adelaide final and an early game this year, were each said to be his best game, and that he has continued to improve, I just don't understand why some many people are so negative about him.

Reckon that Preuss will make it and Daw won't. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% on board. Had a bet that Maj would kick 40 goals this year. Looks like the parmas on me. Still think I'll have the last laugh though

If he'd had a good run at it 40 would be a reasonable expectation ... while Waite was injured he should have played. If he'd made the spot his Waite might never have come back. That injury came at a bad time.

Donkey Chop

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If he'd had a good run at it 40 would be a reasonable expectation ... while Waite was injured he should have played. If he'd made the spot his Waite might never have come back. That injury came at a bad time.

I tried to put an injury clause in there but it got cut during negotiations haha

I tried to put an injury clause in there but it got cut during negotiations haha

Harsh.

he could still do it. That interview above or in his thread showed ... i've never seen him not happy but he wasn't in that interview. I hope he gets annoyed about not playing seniors and really takes it on. If he does that, gets a game with the Kangas and brings a similar attitude he could do okay.

Back