Bulldogsroar

bulldogsfight
Dec 30, 1999
Melbourne,Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
western bulldogs
Heard Danny frawley on the radio discussing the Richmond deal with Coburg.

They will wear Richmond strip when playing AFL teams ,sing the Richmond song( which sends shivers down your back) and get to pick their coach !

What are the plans for Werribee, I think i heard Chris Bond will coach them ,what about the colours ? Song ? Mascot ?

I think they should become the Werribee Bulldogs and wear the old Footscray strip, ie pre 1975 c.

------------------
" I can resist anything.........except temptation."

Chris Bond will be coach, but other than that, (in regards to mascot etc.) I have heard absolutely nothing.

I agree that they should wear the same strip and have the same mascot, but whether Werribee agrees with this will be interesting to see. They chose Werribee on the grounds of seeing it as an untapped market, trying to get any people not interested in football in the Hoppers/Werribee region to follow the bulldogs. So, you would imagine that they would try to identify the Werribee Tigers with the Western Bulldogs as much as possible.

It's no different here in Werribee than it is in any suburb. Everyone (just about) supports an AFL team, just like any suburb in Melbourne.

The majority of people in Werribee support Essendon, Geelong and the Western Bulldogs.

Dan24,

There are also a lot of Kangaroo supporters that live in the Werribee / Hoppers Crossing area. You can normally tell by the stickers on cars.

Westy Boy - Was that the reason Werribee was chosen for their "untapped potential" I've got a feeling Werribee were willing to have a Bulldogs staffer (Bond) appointed coach and Willy wouldn't have a bar of it.

Westy Boy - Was that the reason Werribee was chosen for their "untapped potential" I've got a feeling Werribee were willing to have a Bulldogs staffer (Bond) appointed coach and Willy wouldn't have a bar of it.

Woofer,

Firstly, great to see a local (Altona) make it to Bigfooty
wink.gif

Secondly, I think you are spot on! Although publicly the club stated that they saw the region as an 'considerably' untapped market (there's still a reasonable amount of development going on in the area), I think one of the main reason's they chose Werribee, was the fact that they would allow an assistant to take hold of the team, meaning Bond could ensure that the development interests of the Dogs were being catered for. I'm not sure whether Williamstown would have been as easy with catering for that factor in the allignment as you said, instead they would have opted to go with the best team possible for a win, as opposed to playing the kids in roles specified by Terry. It would be interesting to see Collingwood's arrangement with them actually. I obviously don't know of what happened during the dealings, but I would imagine that this would have been a major consideration.

Woofer, and I've got two words... PLEASE STAY!!!
biggrin.gif
. All the other doggies supporters come and go... don't become a statistic!!
wink.gif
. Are u a regular on the doggies official forum?

I think the Melbourne/Sandringham alliance has been the most successful.They left sandringham exactly as it was before but 'loaned' players to them.

Having been on the 'rough end' of a merger/alliance I think It's a bit rich for clubs which could conceivably be in danger (AFL clubs) to then turn round and take away elements of the identity of a VFL club. I was slightly dissapointed that Box Hill became the Box Hill Hawks, but it seems everyone agreed. The Box Hill team has kept its old Jumper (with a stallion insignia on it) with the addition of a small hawk symbol. So perhaps 95% of the Box Hill Identity has been preserved. It would be a nice gesture for the Hawthorn team to adopt the Box Hill Jumper design in the Ansett cup (anyone agree ?) For those not aware Box Hill has the same colours as Hawthorn but one broad brown stripe up the front with a white horse in the middle (Nickname the Mustangs).
Some of the recent 'alliances' are a bit shotgun wedding as the AFL teams would clearly prefer their own identity.

Another example was geelong - they didn't really want a VFL team but set one up so their area could be represented in the VFL - they hope the VFL team will develop into its own standalone club.

Incidentally one of the original reasons to get rid of the reserves comp was the cost of flying teams to and from sydney. Now we hear that sydney is not keen on it's players being in the sydney league and wants all players except rookies to play with port melbourne. The temptation for sydney to ressurect the old 'bloods' shirt in melbourne must be huge but they will respect port melbourne's (one of the oldest clubs) identity.

I personally would like to see the VFL expand to take in some more northern victoria, ACT NSW and 2 Tassie teams and lead the way for the AFL rather than continuing to be a glorified 'reserves' competition

[This message has been edited by Pessimistic (edited 17 November 2000).]

Yeh Westy Boy I've just started posting to the WB forum - I'll be around because I stick like a true Bulldog. As far as Collingwood/Willy deal goes - I was disappointed but it could have been worse. I heard the Pies were trying to screw the Towners until Richmond started sniffing around and the Pies backed down considerably. Worried about them playing at Caroline Springs - went for a drive out there the other week - nice surface but there's nothing else there - looks stark.

All,

Hope Werribee is not going to play as the Tigers. If it cant be the Bulldogs then how about the Ducks ?

GEP

Hmmmmmm-I understand that one of the reasons the alliance with Willy was abondoned, was that the doggies were a bit worried that North were getting too much of a toehold in what we felt was 'our' area. The successful era that Werribee had under Donald McDonald apparently led lots of Werribee people to follow North. Maybe the fact that North has won two flags also has something to do with it.

There isnt as many Bulldogs and Geelong fans as you think, Essendon (bandwagon jumpers) would have the most fans around Hoppers, then you'd have Carl, Coll, Bull and Geel all about equal.
Melb not too far behind....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back