2nds West Adelaide vs Port Adelaide - Round 16 @ Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

By the way - great to see the two club cheer squads at each end of the ground having a "duelling Mazda signs " battle after each goal, seeing who could bang the loudest on those sheet metal advertising billboards.

Let's hope there were no Cows supporters or officials there - both clubs would face a pleas explain from Fagan :eek:

Got there early 3rd qtr of ressies - scoreboard not working :thumbsdown: It started up mid way through the final qtr, but with no time clock showing :thumbsdown: That began just after the main game started.

Poor Westies dancing girls couldn't do their choreographed routine. First the PA system for the song went down, then the first three song they played weren't the up to date versions :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: Finally i think they re-played an earlier song version, and the girls managed to remember their previous routine and got through it ok.

And the ground announcer sounded like a 93 year old hauled in from the aged care home as a fill in.

Still, that's what grass roots footy is about. We got to Richmond straight from my son's team's match at Kilburn. The Kilburn guys got thrashed, but they still had some photo's taken at the 3 qtr time break - I'm guessing as it was the last game of home and away that a few were retiring, so getting some momento's with their mates. Some looked almost my age :oops: but **** it, they just play for the love of the game at that level. Bloody great to see. And the clubrooms were decked out all in pink for a special Ladies Day celebration.

Kochie and Kevin Osborn were there. Impey, SPP, DBJ and a couple of other payers as well. Ken was walking about 5 paces behind us as we went to the huddle at the first break. Pretty sombre face on him - as you would bloody well hope too.

The best sight a saw all day was (as we were leaving in our car) the sight of a forlorn and totally pissed off Rob Lucas crossing the road on his Pat Malone. That just topped the whole day off perfectly :D:D:D:D:D Should have had the presence of mind to wind the window down and wish him a merry christmas from the Port Adelaide Football Club ........... or something similar.

Some of it is because the reserves side isn't balanced and the rules hamstrung us.

The SANFL should allow dispensation for 2 or 3 AFL listed players to play SNAFL reserves - if it is in the players' best interests.

Our league side is unbalanced with talls. Ladhams would probably benefit from playing first ruck all day in a lower level comp than 4 minutes a game as a ruck, and the remainder coming on and off the bench and stuck in a forward pocket against a 185cm greyhound as an opponent. Being 3rd tall up forward and 4th choice ruck behind Lobbe, Billy and Trengove/Howard isn't helping him fast track.

Anyone think Bonners form is starting to be a touch concerning? He's not really pressing for selection and I can't remember him being in the beats too much this year. Might want to pull his finger out and show something.
Strange call. I'm very comfortable with how Bonner's developing.

He was a mixed bag defensively when we picked him up, but now regularly gets the job on the opposition's best small forward and usually shuts them out of the game. His kicking has always been a weapon, but there's been a marked improvement in his ability to think things through and find the best target. The area that I'd most like to see him improve at this point is intercept marking, but he is still only a second year player.

Realistically, there's not a whole lot more he can do, and it's up to the coaches to realise that we get more out of playing Riley in the AFL ahead of, say, Broadbent.

Last edited:
Young got played in the midfield against St Kilda and sucked harder than a Hoover.

If Sam Gray was dropped he'd dominate more than Young does. I don't feel for him at all.

Oh yeah how silly of me to forget the one game he was given in the midfield. The one where he kicked the goal that set up the heroic win.

And I'm not sure what Sam Gray has to do with Aaron Young. I guess if Aaron had Sam's role of running up and down the ground between half forward and half back and not having to worry about hitting the scoreboard or getting too many touches and getting picked every week I wouldn't need to feel bad about Aaron. That's it right?

Anyway you don't have to feel bad about Aaron. I'm just sure he's frustrated he can't translate his sanfl form to the next level.

Bar Charlie Dixon and Jackson Trengove, we could literally swap our entire AFL forward line and our entire SANFL forward line and I'd feel much more comfortable that we had a team capable of kicking a winning score.

The SANFL should allow dispensation for 2 or 3 AFL listed players to play SNAFL reserves - if it is in the players' best interests.

Our league side is unbalanced with talls. Ladhams would probably benefit from playing first ruck all day in a lower level comp than 4 minutes a game as a ruck, and the remainder coming on and off the bench and stuck in a forward pocket against a 185cm greyhound as an opponent. Being 3rd tall up forward and 4th choice ruck behind Lobbe, Billy and Trengove/Howard isn't helping him fast track.
And this year with no injuries, the Maggies with benefit beautifully from the finals max 17+4 rule unlike 2014 when we were forced to play 3 or 4 players in the GF who wouldn't have played if the selection rules were completely unrestricted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Irra, Ladhams, Lienert, Hewett, Snelling will probably be the casualties.
Lienert has played well when I have seen him play live. His kicking is a weapon. I can't see him being a victim of the max 17 rule.

So I went along yesterday as Richmond Oval is my local.

Thank you random Port supporter who got me in for free.

Impressed by Marshall, Atley and Drew.

Jackson obviously a level above. Krakouer slick too. Young and Toumpas were serviceable.

Lobbe was in the play more than expected and took half a dozen marks.

Frampton was the one that disappointed me. Maybe having Jackson in the side threw him out but I didn't see anything that screamed selection.

It'd be easy to say this was just West but you have to remember their form has improved significantly since we last played. Must've been one hell of a spray from Chad at three-quarter time. Also weird to see the huddle sizes - there would have been five times the amount of Port supporters around the square at the breaks compared to the home side who are usually a very tribal group who back in their team no matter what.

And yes, Ken Hinkley looked very angry at the game.

I just cant see them dropping the consistent and more senior players.

Lienert is 23 years old and has had a much better year at SANFL level than, say, Willem Drew. Also fills a need at SANFL level, particularly if Dougal is going to be playing AFL or playing up forward in the SANFL.

Lienert is 23 years old and has had a much better year at SANFL level than, say, Willem Drew. Also fills a need at SANFL level, particularly if Dougal is going to be playing AFL or playing up forward in the SANFL.
But would Hinkley want to see if Lienert can deal with the higher pressure situation that the SANFL finals bring or an 18 year old he wants to bring into the AFL team next year.

But would Hinkley want to see if Lienert can deal with the higher pressure situation that the SANFL finals bring or an 18 year old he wants to bring into the AFL team next year.

Well that's a different question.

Depends what our priorities are. If our priority is to win the SANFL flag, Lienert won't drop out. If our priority is development into who we see as more important players for our future, he might.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back