Club Focus West Coast 2020 - Langdon, Withered, Edwards, Winder, Trew

AFL Club Focus

What is the priority at West Coast this off-season?

• Recruiting via trade

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • Managing the salary cap

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Re-signing free agents

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Going to the draft

Votes: 17 42.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast club focus
This is an Eagles-specific version of the player contracts & statistics spreadsheet pinned to the top of this forum. It summarises your players' contract situations, experience, ages and heights. The data is from footywire, and the spreadsheet will update itself when footywire is updated. It may contain some errors, I do not have the ability to update them so we just have to deal with what footywire gives us. It's the best we can do for the moment.

According to this data, West Coast are:
- 17th tallest, averaging 184.9cm
- 12th heaviest, averaging 85.8kg
- 13th oldest with an average age of 24.1 years
- 6th most experienced, averaging 76.2 career games

Your picks in the first five rounds of the 2019 national draft are:
1st round pick (tied to West Coast - currently pick 17)
2nd round pick (tied to Sydney - currently pick 23)
2nd round pick (tied to West Coast - currently pick 35)
4th round pick (tied to St Kilda - currently pick 58)

To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

Who retires, who is traded, and who is re-signed?

What do you see as the gaps in the list? How could those gaps be filled? Via trade or from the draft?

What will it take to get it all done, given the current trade and draft value on hand?

Last edited:
I guess finding support or a replacement for Nic Nat might be something of a priority?

And the Tim Kelly saga continues to drag on. Outside of that looks pretty tidy at first glance, though I notice you have no 26 year olds at all at the minute. Seems to be a fifteen month age gap between Gaff and Yeo, with only a rookie in between, not that it currently has much impact.

Thanks Lore

Just on your comments we did draft Bailey Williams last year who would seem to be developing replacement for Naitanui. At the same time could be the developing replacement for Kennedy forward.

Like you mentioned Tim Kelly is the key to where our draft position finalizes itself. Would love to see us have a good crack at FA Coniglio as well, if it came down to one or the other I think I'd rather Coniglio fractionally.

In terms of the draft I think a key forward looking post Kennedy is a target. Brander may need to be used to secure Kelly and Oscar Allen isn't going to be a power key fwd I don't think.

Apart from that I want to see midfield, midfield and more midfield. In recent drafts we've just missed some bigger bodied, first possession type mids like Constable (Geelong), Collier Dawkins (Richmond), O'Halloran (GWS) and Stocker (Carlton)

Ryan Byrnes is a favourite of mine that should be available between the second and third rounds.

We have Kennedy (32), Darling (27), Waterman (21), Allen (20), Brander (20). I don't think drafting another forward is high on our list of priorities. I don't know how highly Geelong rates Brander (I know their fans don't really rate any of our players) but WC rate him absurdly high internally. He was categorically not up for trade last year and is still under contract. Every player is tradeable, but the notion that we will just 'chuck in' Brander to a trade is a bit silly. In a straight swap I doubt the club would entertain a pick outside the top 10 for him. I'm sure plenty of people would say 'Why? What's he ever done?' but take it up with Craig Vozzo and co. They are the ones who do the trades.

With whatever draft picks we end up with just go best available.

I think apart from cogs and Kelly possible trades wce will focus on mids inside inparticular

We also like another developing key backman and small backman

Another trade target maybe callum ah chee would could be another small backman we need

AFL website has an article about players who are still out-of-contract as of yesterday. Currently no 2019 player threads for any of these.

Out of contract: Brendon Ah Chee, Matthew Allen, Patrick Bines, Hamish Brayshaw, Keegan Brooksby, Chris Masten, Fraser McInnes, Kurt Mutimer, Jackson Nelson, Brodie Riach, Will Schofield, Josh Smith

Mark Hutchings quietly re-committed until 2021 earlier in the season and has a trigger that could extend his contract by a further year. It is understood an announcement is also imminent on Lewis Jetta re-signing. However, premiership players Schofield and Masten remain without deals as the Eagles remain in the race for Tim Kelly. Ah Chee is likely to receive a one-year deal, as will former Magpie Smith. Category B rookies and basketball converts Riach and Bines and ex-Sun Brooksby are still waiting to find out if they'll score a second year. One of the AFL's great survivors, McInnes, may be nearing the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vardy gone?

Out at the moment with a nasty cork that developed compartment syndrome - he’d be battling to play again this year I would imagine.

Not certain of his contract status but as it stands, he’s behind Nic Nat, Tom Hickey and Bailey Williams for the ruck spot - and Oscar Allan is preffered for NN’s chop outs so poor old Vardy is well down the list - and we also drafted Callum Jamieson last year - a bit of a raw project ruck.

That said, a Nic Nat injury (ARGH!) would definitely throw a cat among the pigeons.

I have a feeling that he would be retained as a known commodity - but the fact that he hasn’t fired a shot since 2018 will likely be a consideration.

WC doesn't need anything, this WC side will be a premiership threat every year with few injuries.

West coasts only ‘weakness’ is a perceived lack of quality depth in the midfield. Unless a WA boy in the right age bracket with a POD requests a trade then I can only see them drafting a couple local kids and perhaps a mature age gem from the wafl

West coasts only ‘weakness’ is a perceived lack of quality depth in the midfield. Unless a WA boy in the right age bracket with a POD requests a trade then I can only see them drafting a couple local kids and perhaps a mature age gem from the wafl
Yeah really don't think their midfield is a weakness at all.

All of Yeo, Shuey, Sheed, Redden, Kelly are quality inside mids.

As much as I hate Sheed for taking a premiership away from us, he is a really talented inside mid who honestly just lacks opportunity and often has to play wing/half forward to accommodate Yeo/Shuey/Kelly as a starting Trio.

Then you have an A-grade outside mid in Gaff on a wing, and Redden, another quality inside/outside mid who has extremely low game time due to how crowded their midfield is.

I'd take Eagles' midfield as a collective group over GWS any day of the week, hence "weakness" i guess.

WC doesn't need anything, this WC side will be a premiership threat every year with few injuries.
Honestly thought they could do with a running half back (particularly to replace Jetta long term) as they lack pace out of the back half. When the uncontested kick-mark strategy can't fire, they need an avenue to drive the ball forward. Seem to rely on guys like Ryan drifting up the field, which is sort of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Their stock of talls is second to none though. Barrass, McGovern, Allen, Nic Nat, Kennedy, Darling and Hurn is just absurd quality

What is WC's 2021 first-rounder worth in terms of this year's draft picks?

If WC packaged their 2021 first-rounder with a later pick in 2020, could they trade into the middle of this year's first round?

Would teams prefer picks next year or this year? Is next year's draft meant to be stronger?

What is WC's 2021 first-rounder worth in terms of this year's draft picks?

If WC packaged their 2021 first-rounder with a later pick in 2020, could they trade into the middle of this year's first round?

Would teams prefer picks next year or this year? Is next year's draft meant to be stronger?

I imagine next year since there has been less junior footy to base profiles on. Depends on the club though.

I imagine next year since there has been less junior footy to base profiles on. Depends on the club though.
So if WC came knocking at Geelong and wanted one of your three first-rounders, with our 2021 first-rounder on the table, what do you reckon would be doable? Straight swap for 16/17, which are basically your first-rounder this year and our first-rounder which was part of the Kelly deal.

How about the mid-round GC compo pick, which is 11?

I think it also depends how many selections teams want to make this year, given they will already be cutting lists.

Let's say Geelong only want to make three selections this year. Sure, you've got three first-rounders, but then your second-rounder (about 35) may be vonsidered surplus. In light of that, maybe it makes sense to roll over one of those first-rounders to 2021 and still take two first-rounders and that pick 35 this year, with an extra first-rounder up your sleeve for next season.

So if WC came knocking at Geelong and wanted one of your three first-rounders, with our 2021 first-rounder on the table, what do you reckon would be doable? Straight swap for 16/17, which are basically your first-rounder this year and our first-rounder which was part of the Kelly deal.

How about the mid-round GC compo pick, which is 11?

I think it also depends how many selections teams want to make this year, given they will already be cutting lists.

Let's say Geelong only want to make three selections this year. Sure, you've got three first-rounders, but then your second-rounder (about 35) may be vonsidered surplus. In light of that, maybe it makes sense to roll over one of those first-rounders to 2021 and still take two first-rounders and that pick 35 this year, with an extra first-rounder up your sleeve for next season.

I think your idea has some merit for us, given the context that we have too many picks this year, especially as we have a few who might be leaving too.

Can we just have Kelly back though?

I think your idea has some merit for us, given the context that we have too many picks this year, especially as we have a few who might be leaving too.
In what sense do you mean "too many picks"?

You'd rather take the bare minimum three selections instead of four?

Can we just have Kelly back though?
You can have Jackson Nelson.

In what sense do you mean "too many picks"?

You'd rather take the bare minimum three selections instead of four?

You can have Jackson Nelson.

Assuming list sizes shrink I don't think we have that many we want to shed (the mgmt not me). So we might not even use our second this year, therefore it makes sense to bank one of those firsts for another year. But who knows what they want to do.....

Back