West Coast and Fremantle, why the difference?

Remove this Banner Ad

Which of course also meant that our #1 draft pick the next year - one of the few start-up concessions we were given - was actually something like pick 8 since the best talent had already been raided the year before.

Hahaha, that is just the most typical VFL rubbish. SMFH.

Hahaha, that is just the most typical VFL rubbish. SMFH.

Similar thing when we entered - it was delayed long enough for most of the known WA talent at the time to be poached by the Victorian clubs. Which meant that by the time we got our crack at the WAFL the next year, it was just the dregs and kids remaining. Luckily, drafting was so amateurish at the time and everyone ignored the kids that we managed to pick up a whole heap of kids that just won the Teal Cup and they formed the nucleus of 1992 and 1994.

The whole 'Freo traded away Lloyd and Lucas lmao' thing is oft-repeated crap.

This. Everyone except Judge was en elite coach at the top of their game and had brillant players at their disposal.

Malthouse had: Worsfold, Matera, Mainwaring, Mckenna, Jakovich, Sumich, Heady, Dean Kemp, & Chris Lewis

Worsfold had Cousins, Cox, Kerr, Judd, Glass and Embley

Simpson had Mcgovern, Kennedy, Shuey, Darling, Hurn.

Freo haven't had even close to that.

Just coz I love to be controversial... about 250 000 extra free kicks probably hasn’t hurt West Coast’s cause either 😉

In all seriousness though I’d say for 10-15 years it was mismanagement and poor decision making by Freo. I’d say in the last ten years it has been much more even but West Coast have taken their chances more frequently.

They're in an excellent spot off-field but geez with the best 22 they've got now anything less than a serious challenge for a top 8 spot is a huge disappointment. They've hidden behind the rebuilding excuse for 3 years now, time to step it up.

What's the difference between the Lakers and Clippers?

Lakers are all talk but also have the walk.

The Clippers have glitter and light shows. But that's to detract from the fact they've never been past the second round of the playoffs.

What's the difference between the Lakers and Clippers?

Lakers are all talk but also have the walk.

The Clippers have glitter and light shows. But that's to detract from the fact they've never been past the second round of the playoffs.
LA Clippers were dangerously close to a western conference final a few years ago, but I get your point

Just coz I love to be controversial... about 250 000 extra free kicks probably hasn’t hurt West Coast’s cause either 😉

In all seriousness though I’d say for 10-15 years it was mismanagement and poor decision making by Freo. I’d say in the last ten years it has been much more even but West Coast have taken their chances more frequently.
attach smalls to the piggy rocking get out...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As cliched as it is you’d have to say culture is the difference. And it starts at the top. Coach selection plays a huge part. Alexander, Todd, Malthouse, Judge, Worsfold, Simpson. Obviously not all successful but when it comes to respectability compare that group to Freos: Neesham, Drum, Cuddles Connolly, Harvey, Lyon.

For the first decade or so you sensed Fremantle were just happy to participate. Connolly spoke like a kid sometimes. “I’m not saying the F word yet”. (Finals). It was so cringeworthy. A joke. Then you have Drum who couldn’t inspire a baby to cry. Harvey and Lyon just look lifeless. The board for freo have just made terrible decisions and that’s just for head coach.

Their brand is a huge mistake. Should be called the Sharks. WGAF about the WAFL team. A club song based around being an apex predator eating the competition alive would be a hell of a lot better than dockers heaving and ho-ing. Could have chosen grey like the San Antonio Spurs instead of the sexually frustrated purples. A big shark fin as the logo instead of an anchor. Respectable.

Their brand isn't the issue. They are financially fine and have a hug fan base.

Their brand isn't the issue. They are financially fine and have a hug fan base.

WCE are about proving vic flogs wrong.

Freo are about proving to everyone that they r a victim.

WCE focus on what they can do to win and accept failure is not an option.

Freo focus on what they can do to get one up on WCE and failure is due to something that happened back in 1993.

WCE focus on satisfying their fans so the mob doesn’t get them.

Freo focus on outing their fans who were originally WCE fans (which is like, 2/3rds of them but miraculously no one supported football until Freo came along).

WCE are about proving vic flogs wrong.

Freo are about proving to everyone that they r a victim.

WCE focus on what they can do to win and accept failure is not an option.

Freo focus on what they can do to get one up on WCE and failure is due to something that happened back in 1993.

WCE focus on satisfying their fans so the mob doesn’t get them.

Freo focus on outing their fans who were originally WCE fans (which is like, 2/3rds of them but miraculously no one supported football until Freo came along).

Wow! Your powers of insight should be trying to end hunger & creating world peace. Ur talents are truly wasted on BF. c & c.png

Last edited:
The main difference is the circumstances under which they were set up.

Eagles got gifted a virtual state side - picking the cream of the best young talent in WA. After a couple of years they got going, won a flag and have established a solid club culture since.

Freo, on the other hand were shafted by the AFL when they were created. They got nothing in comparison. They started on the back foot and have struggled ever since.

The comparison between the two is not really fair.
It’s been nearly 25 years. You’ve had plenty of time to get your house in order.

To put it in context, Collingwood finished last in 1999 and second last in 2000, yet contested four Grand Finals, six preliminary finals and only missed finals three times in the following eleven seasons.

You can’t honestly be using not having concession selections in 1995 as an excuse for 23 years of solid mediocrity.

It’s been nearly 25 years. You’ve had plenty of time to get your house in order.

To put it in context, Collingwood finished last in 1999 and second last in 2000, yet contested four Grand Finals, six preliminary finals and only missed finals three times in the following eleven seasons.

You can’t honestly be using not having concession selections in 1995 as an excuse for 23 years of solid mediocrity.

Pretty much spot on this.

Pretty much answered the question in two sentences.

Though considering the WAFC ran the club in our first 5-10 years I blame them.

Agree with the bolded - not that I don't think a few more free kicks a game (every game) wouldn't have helped us just that little bit more. It was only really 2010/11 that we sorted ourselves out on and - more importantly - off field imo

Do we have the right coach going forward? Unsure. Do we have the best list going forward? Probably not - but it's certainly not the worst.

But even without factoring in Lyon or the current list, we are definitely moving in the right direction. Comparing us to West Coast makes us seem far worse than we are, just like comparing ourselves to some of the clubs in the other stats makes us seem far better than we actually are.

Wow! Your powers of insight should be trying to end hunger & creating world peace. Ur talents are truly wasted on BF.View attachment 630069

Nah, at the moment trying to end hunger and creating world peace is on hold. I am still celebrating the 2018 grand final.

I mean your fans would know this feeling, they did experience this first hand in 1992 and 1994. Or maybe you didn’t.

Tsk such is life.

Three words... trading, drafting, Lyon...

Trading: I agree with this... trading pick 5 or 10 for average or injury prone players didn't work.

Drafting: Agree with this. But we were unlucky. 2 examples....
2009: Pick 4 we chose Anthony Morabito. Talented bloke. Awesome 1st season. then missed 3 seasons as he had multiple knee injuries.

2013: Used pick 17 on Michael Apeness. I could understand why at the time, at 201cm, he was recruited as a key forward/ruck. Had a knee injury at 16 years old. Slowly developing into a servicble player then ha multiple knee injuries too.

Ross Lyon: Disagree with this as he at least got us into a grand final. Cant say the same with Neesham, Drum, Connolly or Harvey.

Trading: I agree with this... trading pick 5 or 10 for average or injury prone players didn't work.

Drafting: Agree with this. But we were unlucky. 2 examples....
2009: Pick 4 we chose Anthony Morabito. Talented bloke. Awesome 1st season. then missed 3 seasons as he had multiple knee injuries.

2013: Used pick 17 on Michael Apeness. I could understand why at the time, at 201cm, he was recruited as a key forward/ruck. Had a knee injury at 16 years old. Slowly developing into a servicble player then ha multiple knee injuries too.

Ross Lyon: Disagree with this as he at least got us into a grand final. Cant say the same with Neesham, Drum, Connolly or Harvey.
Forgetting also that instead of drafting Darling, we went with Pitt. Who?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back