West Coast and Fremantle, why the difference?

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually Port overall have been as successful as the Crows, and found success quite early. Think they finished minor premiers in 2001? Also dominated the Showdown on the early years, like WC did.

2 premierships to 1 says otherwise - and that's the ultimate measure of success in the comp

I agree with you, however, that they are almost on par with one another otherwise

Worsfold turning down Freo between 99-01 after we approached him three times to join the coaching ranks.
Longmuir leaving Freo's coaching staff for West Coast because he felt his talents weren't being recognised.
Didn't Yeo want to go to Fremantle but they weren't very interested in him?

All players that make it onto a list can play the game .....we know that ....doesn’t mean they are equal

I know Freo did not get the same deal we got when we started but that said they haven’t helped themselves with some poor recruitment and coaching

Des headland was recruited .....and got here .....he was then lazy and never realised his potential

They made a grand final in 13 ....if they had won that I reckon everything would be different

They have been unlucky with injuries too ....Bennel....Fyfe .....

Their youth is good and they’ll turn it around

Ok lastly get rid of Ross Lyon .....sorry this is guy that made sexual comments towards a female staffer then paid her off ...sorry that’s not a guy I want in charge of young men .....if I did that in my job I would be fired

Worsfold turning down Freo between 99-01 after we approached him three times to join the coaching ranks.
Longmuir leaving Freo's coaching staff for West Coast because he felt his talents weren't being recognised. Now defensive coach at Collingwood.

I would suggest that Worsfold turning Freo down has everything to do with the fact he played at WC for years, captained WC, won a flag at WC, and coached WC to a flag and didn't want to coach anymore (at least take a long long break)

Well, he was at Carlton as an assistant and was always a WC man. His bias toward WC isn't about WC being "establishment".

Longmuir leaving Freo's coaching staff for West Coast because he felt his talents weren't being recognised.
That's not about WC being "more establishment" though, is it?

Well, he was at Carlton as an assistant and was always a WC man. His bias toward WC isn't about WC being "establishment".

That's not about WC being "more establishment" though, is it?
It's about West Coast attracting better talent and demanding more from those at the club from the top down. How else are clubs successful?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's exactly what I am explaining.

If you can't understand why Worsfold, someone who bleeds WC, would turn down a job at Freo and has nothing to do with Freo as a club, then I got nothing else to say or explain.

Can you imagine Eddy becoming president of Richmond? He wouldn't turn it down because Richmond aren't a well run club, he would turn it down because it would be a horrible PR move for him.

Trigger warning for Fremantle fans: the images below may induce feelings of anxiety, panic and deep-seated inferiority.

Why? I wanted the eagles to win. What i was saying was running down a former coach who passed away was in bad taste. Your wording along the lines of "we will just forget about him" is disrespectful. You carrying on like a dick made me realise i wasted my time with you. Enjoy other peoples achievements in your sweatshop made jumper.

2 premierships to 1 says otherwise - and that's the ultimate measure of success in the comp

I agree with you, however, that they are almost on par with one another otherwise

That's one measure. The most important but not the only measure. In terms of head to head, percentage wins, ladder positions, finals played etc Port and Crows are similar, while Eagles are well ahead of Dockers. Port also a fair bit smaller in terms of supporters. So despite the Eagles being 8 years older and the Crows 6 years older, there's almost no gap. Port did, however, get many Port Adelaide SANFL players.

If you can't understand why Worsfold, someone who bleeds WC, would turn down a job at Freo and has nothing to do with Freo as a club, then I got nothing else to say or explain.

So in the pool of WA based football people, which is predominantly West Coast supporting, you can't see how Freo would struggle to attract the best relative to West Coast, given the breakdown in supporter numbers?

Why is this so hard to follow?

Can you imagine Eddy becoming president of Richmond?
President is a fundamentally different role to coach.

Why? I wanted the eagles to win. What i was saying was running down a former coach who passed away was in bad taste. Your wording along the lines of "we will just forget about him" is disrespectful.
It is an entirely accurate critique of his performance as coach, insofar as it was well below what we got from Malthouse, Worsfold and Simpson. You're a delicate little flower.

So in the pool of WA based football people, which is predominantly West Coast supporting, you can't see how Freo would struggle to attract the best relative to West Coast, given the breakdown in supporter numbers?

Why is this so hard to follow?

President is a fundamentally different role to coach.

You have the entire country to get a coach, not just WA. WC got a Hawks assistant coach who use to play for NM.

If you don't see how that is different to a WC legend not wanting to join Freo, then you are clueless.

This really puzzles me as someone looking on from the other side of the country but why is there a massive difference between the eagles and the dockers?
Sure west coast entered the comp 8 years earlier however freo have been around for 23 years now and aside from 2013 haven’t looked like winning a flag, while the eagles have averaged a flag every 7.75 years which is very very good.
I would have thought with the strong historical links freo have with their past that they should be just as strong as the eagles.
When I compare it to SA, the crows and port are much more even than the eagles and dockers.
This isn’t meant to be a pot shot at the dockers I’m just curious as to why the eagles are such a strong club on and off the field while the dockers always seem to be doing it hard?
Would love to hear from some WA people as to why there is such a gulf?

They are more successful for a couple of reasons:

Early on their success came from being a state side and having the pick of the best WA had to offer. I attribute the 92 and 94 flags to basically in many ways having a strong State of Origin side. Take nothing away from those flags but they were set up for Success right from the start.

Freo on the other hand were set up to fail. The main reason they were brought into the competition was to hopefully dilute the talent pool that West Coast had to choose from and to help stop the juggernaut that was the West Coast Eagles. It didn't really work as they still were and always have been since a very successful team.

However, whilst Freo were set up with basically nothing, (compare the recent draft concessions both GC and GWS have had to Freo in 94!) we have not helped ourselves along the way. It is a poorly run organisation that has made poor decision after poor decision.
For a brief period (2012 - 2015) under Lyon Freo has had success but once again poor decisions and a lack of foresight meant that success was short lived.

Don't get me wrong I love the Dockers but my hatred of West Coast in all honesty is jealousy more than anything else. I wish we were like them, I want what they have and if kills me that we can't get it.

They are a powerhouse organisation, well managed and have the right people in charge. I had hoped with the re branding in 2011 that Freo would turn a corner and for a few years perhaps we did but once again in typical Freo fashion poor recruitment and management decisions have cost us. Signing Lyon on for 5 years one example of the many mistakes we've made along the way.

As much as I hate to admit It, West Coast do a lot right and whilst I whinge about it full credit to them. It also feels to me like they are still in many ways WA's team and it will always be that way. Freo are the battlers from the second city and it will always be that way to. It's a pity as guys like Pav and Mundy really did deserve a flag. I'll always view 2013 as that one opportunity missed as it could be a while before another one comes along.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back