West Coast are now Australia's biggest club.

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn’t ’t say it was wrong, I didn’t say change it, I didn’t say the ownership structure is not good...... I just said it was a fact....... chill

Another fact

During prohibition, moonshiners would wear "cow shoes." The fancy footwear left hoofprints instead of footprints, helping distillers and smugglers evade police.

In other words, facts are great. But have no point on their own unless applied to prove a point. What is your point?

The thing about West Coast that people forget is it not a club owned by the members, they tried that via a public company, what a mess and went broke then had to be bailed out by WA tax payers. West coast is owned by the WAFC (West Australian Football Commission). The WAFC Is a government body. So it is a state government owned team........... there are some more facts
The WAFC is no more or less a government body than the AFL or VFL is.

It's a 'not for profit sports association'.

Check you history.
1991 qualifying final at Subiaco oval Hawthorn defeated West Coast. Hawthorn then won the second semi and was te first team into the GF with ‘home’ advantage...... but hey let’s not let facts get the in way of your tears.

Then in 2015 Hawthorn could travel and win a finals at Subiaco against the top team,.... why couldn’t west coast travel and win a final against a team lower than them on the ladder? You can’t blame travel or playing on the away ground because it didn’t effect the Premiers now did it.

Ummm what?

Eagles defeated Hawks at Subiaco in the Qualifying final by 32 points......your whole argument is invalid.

Maybe you should have a look at the facts a bit closer.

Is there anywhere to see the "Real" membership tally?
* 11 game equivalent membership totals

West Coast have ~ 50,000 11 game memberships.

Richmond have 90,000 members - but how many are seated members ?
30,000 ?

Take your point but * 11 game equivalent membership totals
Why?

$s are real measure.

Check you history.
1991 qualifying final at Subiaco oval Hawthorn defeated West Coast. Hawthorn then won the second semi and was te first team into the GF with ‘home’ advantage...... but hey let’s not let facts get the in way of your tears.

Then in 2015 Hawthorn could travel and win a finals at Subiaco against the top team,.... why couldn’t west coast travel and win a final against a team lower than them on the ladder? You can’t blame travel or playing on the away ground because it didn’t effect the Premiers now did it.

LOL. Perhaps you should check yours.

WC have been the most profitable sports club in Australia for years and years (that's over every major code, not just AFL), and have been amongst the healthiest clubs, financially, since it's inception.

As far as the biggest club? I think Richmond, Collingwood and Hawthorn are still the biggest, in terms of visibility and membership and a lot of Collingwoods "loss" are actually depreciation from their Glasshouse Community Centre. Really they make a relatively healthy profit for a club that hasn't made finals for long while

When I was a kid Carlton were huge in WA, I used to have them pegged as the biggest club ever. Times change, biggest club is subjective. I'm just happy we're not broke and that we have a really healthy and stable membership

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there anywhere to see the "Real" membership tally?
* 11 game equivalent membership totals

West Coast have ~ 50,000 11 game memberships.

Richmond have 90,000 members - but how many are seated members ?
30,000 ?

what do you mean by seated? as in reserved seats or actual general admission membership? or are you actually trying to suggest we only have 30k real members?

The thing about West Coast that people forget is it not a club owned by the members, they tried that via a public company, what a mess and went broke then had to be bailed out by WA tax payers. West coast is owned by the WAFC (West Australian Football Commission). The WAFC Is a government body. So it is a state government owned team........... there are some more facts

Actually it wasn't a mess. Need to do your research. What happened was was that the VFL changed the date of the joining fee (because they were broke).

For your education:

It’s hard for folks back in Victoria and S.A to understand how big a club WC is in supporter numbers.

If you could somehow round them up one by one, man woman and child ...and count them..it would be a million humans easy that pledge their love to this club.

Yeah in terms of overall supporters you have 2.5 million in WA split between West Coast and Freo (AFL fans who take at least a casual interest), while in Victoria its about 6 million between 10. WC is definitely the larger, and seems to have more support in regional WA. In geographical area it has the largest watershed of supporters, but of course most of WA is very sparsely populated.

Yeah in terms of overall supporters you have 2.5 million in WA split between West Coast and Freo (AFL fans who take at least a casual interest), while in Victoria its about 6 million between 10. WC is definitely the larger, and seems to have more support in regional WA. In geographical area it has the largest watershed of supporters, but of course most of WA is very sparsely populated.

Been here 12 years....I’d say around 80% of people over the age of 30 are WC fans too..

WC have been the most profitable sports club in Australia for years and years (that's over every major code, not just AFL)
Well, that's a tricky one, there's a cricket club in Melbourne that does ok. Roughly an operating surplus of $37m accumulated over the last four years compared to the Eagles' princely $21m, I think I read somewhere.

When i was working mining shutdowns i always used to poll the cribroom at smoko in each place

Was pretty much always 80% wc 15% freo - 1 or 2 colly and a bomber with the odd south oz ad or port fan.

Taking into account that a fair number of the wc / freo fans would be nominal supporters who wouls never watch a game - but are parochial wa’lians so nominate a team anyhoo.

Actually it wasn't a mess. Need to do your research. What happened was was that the VFL changed the date of the joining fee (because they were broke).

For your education:

This isn't education, it's propaganda.

The mighty Eagles have a traditional feel about them, only 32 years in

- VFL club
- simple stylish and classic Blue and Gold
- 3 premierships from 6 Grand Finals (soon to be 4)
- classic players such as Matera, Jakovich, Judd, Cousins and Naitanui
- infamous/scandalous

You just cannot keep them down either, the definition of a big club

...and owe their creation to a North Melbourne person:

8f32bd7e70dde753f6e2125b78d21c61

Remove this Banner Ad

Back