West Coast are now Australia's biggest club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just because someone nominally supports a club and would declare their allegiance if asked, doesn't necessarily mean much. Most Eagles supports are very casual; they wouldn't attend games or buy memberships. Basically do a bit of footy-tipping and watch a game on the telly once in a while. So even if there were 1 million eagles supporters, the vast majority contribute little to the club.

Lastly, not everyone follows the footy; not even casually. Significant populations dont care in the slightest for footy - diehard soccer fans, certain migrant communities etc. So the hypothetical W.A. population of 2.5 million split between the two clubs is a fallacy.

Also, fwiw - there was an article last season that revealed the Sydney Swans were actually there largest supported club in the country with 1.2 million self-proclaimed supporters. Of course nobody is going to claim Sydney is the biggest club; as most of those fans wouldnt give the Swans two thoughts during a bad season.

Just because someone nominally supports a club and would declare their allegiance if asked, doesn't necessarily mean much. Most Eagles supports are very casual; they wouldn't attend games or buy memberships. Basically do a bit of footy-tipping and watch a game on the telly once in a while. So even if there were 1 million eagles supporters, the vast majority contribute little to the club.

Lastly, not everyone follows the footy; not even casually. Significant populations dont care in the slightest for footy - diehard soccer fans, certain migrant communities etc. So the hypothetical W.A. population of 2.5 million split between the two clubs is a fallacy.

Also, fwiw - there was an article last season that revealed the Sydney Swans were actually there largest supported club in the country with 1.2 million self-proclaimed supporters. Of course nobody is going to claim Sydney is the biggest club; as most of those fans wouldnt give the Swans two thoughts during a bad season.
Good post. If you were measuring only committed-hard core fans (i.e. those that either buy a membership or watch/attend most games) then I would say out of the Victorian clubs it would be:

Collingwood - still massive ; then small gap
Essendon - huge but a small dent over the past years; then moderate gap to the following clubs which are roughly equal:

Richmond
Carlton
Hawthorn

Significant gap to the rest. How this translates to actual numbers and measures up with the WA/SA teams I really don't know and don't really care.

Strip away your same state games - that is the true indication of support. Not when Richmond plays a team from the same state. You can do many things with numbers and you have just proved it.

The numbers don't lie. Stripping away same state games is just trying to manipulate in your favour. At the end of the day Richmond sit on top of the heap with more people through the gates, highest home game average and at least 20k more members than every other team. We are the biggest dog in the yard by a long way.

Such a weird thread who is the biggest, i mean i say we are the biggest in Victoria by way of membership and attendances.
West Coast in Perth, Crows in Adelaide, Swans in Sydney and so on and so on.
Who the hell knows who literally is the biggest in the country.

To get almost 95K in the prelim V GWS not many clubs regardless if its a final could achieve that. Maybe Pies, Ess, West Coast Or Crows but hard to say cause 2 of those teams dont play on the G

To many different variables and many clubs can lay clam but no one can say for sure who is!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never said Essendon has more fans than Collingwood, I said Essendon has a massive fan base. In any event, the difference between the two fan bases isn't much, if Collingwood dropped the ball and Essendon became agressive in its marketing, Essendon could quite easily overtake Collingwood in size.

I do agree that in terms of nation wide support their would not be much difference. I think were Collingwood would have slight edge is in Melbourne. In terms of interstate Collingwood and Essendon are clearly ahead of the pack. Carlton and hawthorn are the other two have have very strong interstate support.

Richmond are massive in Victoria but no way near the national following of Collingwood and Essendon.

Last edited:
Such a weird thread who is the biggest, i mean i say we are the biggest in Victoria by way of membership and attendances.
West Coast in Perth, Crows in Adelaide, Swans in Sydney and so on and so on.
Who the hell knows who literally is the biggest in the country.

To get almost 95K in the prelim V GWS not many clubs regardless if its a final could achieve that. Maybe Pies, Ess, West Coast Or Crows but hard to say cause 2 of those teams dont play on the G

To many different variables and many clubs can lay clam but no one can say for sure who is!

If Collingwood or Essendon were poor for basically 37 years only only winning 2 finals matches for 37 years then they would get well over 90,000 against a gws or Gold Coast. In 1996 Essendon played West Coast in a semifinal and drew 86,000 and in 2002 Collingwood played Adelaide in a preliminary finals in front of 89,000 when the mcg capacity was 96,200.

Only difference is Collingwood’s longest drought without winning a final in 12 years and Essendon is currently 14 years. If both clubs were as bad as Richmond then for over 3 decades then you would see a huge bandwagon effect.

It happens with all teams in 1987 Melbourne made its first finals series in 23 years and in the finals Melbourne were drawing 50,000 plus Melbourne fans too their games. St.kilda in 2004 were drawing huge crowds and drew 52,000 v Brisbane at Etihad which is still a record against a vic v interstate club st Etihad.

If Collingwood or Essendon were poor for basically 37 years only only winning 2 finals matches for 37 years then they would get well over 90,000 against a gws or Gold Coast. In 1996 Essendon played West Coast in a semifinal and drew 86,000 and in 2002 Collingwood played Adelaide in a preliminary finals in front of 89,000 when the mcg capacity was 96,200.

Only difference is Collingwood’s longest drought without winning a final in 12 years and Essendon is currently 14 years. If both clubs were as bad as Richmond then for over 3 decades then you would see a huge bandwagon effect.

It happens with all teams in 1987 Melbourne made its first finals series in 23 years and in the finals Melbourne were drawing 50,000 plus Melbourne fans too their games. St.kilda in 2004 were drawing huge crowds and drew 52,000 v Brisbane at Etihad which is still a record against a vic v interstate club st Etihad.

Dude u cant seriously compare Crows to GWS, crows wouldve brought 20K in support to their prelim game v pies at the G.
Eagles too wouldve brought 15K or more in support V Ess in their semi final, u do realise that GWS brought 2-3K max!

You're making out like 2017 was the first time we made finals in 35 years and drew the big crowds, 2013, 2014 and 2015 we made finals, one being against North and drew 90K at the G. I guess that slipped ur mind.. So we played finals 2013/14/15 before that was 2001 prelim (12 years prior).

You are the best on bigfooty for making excuses. Everything must go right for collingwood to be the best of this and that.
If u were as bad as Richmond for 30 years u would lose half ur support base, in this day and age u cant sustain that long of being mediocre hard to get them back.

You keep talking about pies and bombers around Australia when reality says you have NFI what support u really have, how would u really know.
Last week we played eagles we had excellent away support and thats all i say we were very well represented as we are in QLD, SA, NSW and Tassie.
Yes u guys too and ess and hawks and blues are well supported in those areas.

But i cant go on and say who is biggest in Oz but in Melbourne id say us then Ess then pies but you're very much entitled to your opinion that u are the biggest just dont make out on bigfooty what u say is gospel not everyone shares or agrees with ur views. We can go on and on until our hearts are content. The thing is you are obsessed with Richmond why? god only knows...

Dude u cant seriously compare Crows to GWS, crows wouldve brought 20K in support to their prelim game v pies at the G.
Eagles too wouldve brought 15K or more in support V Ess in their semi final, u do realise that GWS brought 2-3K max!

You're making out like 2017 was the first time we made finals in 35 years and drew the big crowds, 2013, 2014 and 2015 we made finals, one being against North and drew 90K at the G. I guess that slipped ur mind.. So we played finals 2013/14/15 before that was 2001 prelim (12 years prior).

You are the best on bigfooty for making excuses. Everything must go right for collingwood to be the best of this and that.
If u were as bad as Richmond for 30 years u would lose half ur support base, in this day and age u cant sustain that long of being mediocre hard to get them back.

You keep talking about pies and bombers around Australia when reality says you have NFI what support u really have, how would u really know.
Last week we played eagles we had excellent away support and thats all i say we were very well represented as we are in QLD, SA, NSW and Tassie.

But i cant go on and say who is biggest in Oz but in Melbourne id say us then Ess then pies but you're very much entitled to your opinion that u are the biggest just dont make out on bigfooty what u say is gospel not everyone shares or agrees with ur views. We can go on and on until our hearts are content. The thing is you are obsessed with Richmond why? god only knows...

Can you minnow club supporters take your petty arguments about whos the second biggest club to its own thread please.

*preens feathers

This is true

No team has never drawn more people during the home and away season when Collingwood have played finals since the afl began in 1990. Collingwood hold the all time home and away Attendance record. Collingwood are still the most popular Victorian club in Australia second Essendon then Richmond.

Since 1990 Collingwood have finished first in attendance’s 20 times

Essendon 6 times

Richmond 2 times.

I think this speaks for itself as who is the most popular Victorian club in Australia.

I’m not obsessed with Richmond but to say Collingwood In the 3rd biggest club in Melbourne Is laughable 20 times in the last 28 years since the afl began in 1990 Collingwood has been the biggest drawing club in the competition. Essendon have done it 6 times when Collingwood was a bottom 4 club and Richmond twice when Collingwood did not play finals. Plus In your premiership year Richmond drew 1,024,000 during the home and away season. Collingwood in 2010 drew 1.304,000 during the home and away season.

Last edited:
No team has never drawn more people during the home and away season when Collingwood have played finals since the afl began in 1990. Collingwood hold the all time home and away Attendance record. Collingwood are still the most popular Victorian club in Australia second Essendon then Richmond.

Since 1990 Collingwood have finished first in attendance’s 20 times

Essendon 6 times

Richmond 2 times.

I think this speaks for itself as who is the most popular Victorian club in Australia.
In Melbourne Richmond are 4th, it'll always be Collingwood-Essendon-Carlton, what cracks me up is Tiger fans claim shitness affected their crowds over the years yet Carlton were all but wiped off the map over the cheating scandal, and we all know what the Bombers went through, yet only Richmond had it bad :(

In Melbourne Richmond are 4th, it'll always be Collingwood-Essendon-Carlton, what cracks me up is Tiger fans claim shitness affected their crowds over the years yet Carlton were all but wiped off the map over the cheating scandal, and we all know what the Bombers went through, yet only Richmond had it bad :(

Finally someone you makes sense. In Melbourne Collingwood are the biggest club. Only Richmond fans seem to think they are the biggest club and Collingwood are the 3rd biggest whilst finishing 1st in attendance’s 20 out of the last 28 season’s since the afl began. Richmond fans are a very sensitive bunch ain’t they?

Also in Richmond’s premiership year they only finished with 21,000 more people through the turnstiles then Collingwood and the pies finished 13th.

In 2010 Collingwood finished ahead of Richmond by 450,000.

Anyway this is about west coast being the biggest club in Australia which I stated they were. It’s Richmond fans getting all upset saying they are the biggest blah blah blah when in fact they are not in the big 4 West Coast, Adelaide, Collingwood and Essendon are.

So what you are saying is when the going gets tough the tiger fans go in hiding??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back