West Coast are now Australia's biggest club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our membership is obviously more limited by a smaller stadium, but if you do the maths, I think we quite possibly have the largest number of overall supporters of any club, Melbourne's 'big 4' included. I guess what counts as a 'supporter' might be sometimes debatable, but someone who at least keeps up with it, watches some games and has some emotional attachment to the team's performance.

The reason is simple: maths and demographics. If we just take Perth vs Melbourne (and not include the rest of WA vs Vic), Perth is a city of 2 million, while Melbourne has 4.5 million (according to the latest census). If the average Perthite is about as likely to be into footy as the average Melburnian, then that 2 million could be split mostly between West Coast and Freo, with the Eagles accounting for perhaps 60% (I can't say what percentage follow footy). Melbourne is divided between 9 clubs, and while support is hardly evenly divided, I highly doubt the big Melbourne clubs would have the same support West Coast would being in a two club town. If theoretically there were say, 1 million AFL fans in Perth, perhaps 600,000 could be West Coast. If there were 2.25 million AFL fans in Melbourne, Collingwood would require an enormous 25%+ (a whole quarter) of footy fans to equal that.

Adelaide is much smaller, with only 1.3 million, while AFL is still the minority code in Sydney and Brisbane.

So yeah, if theoretically we had a stadium the size of the G we could have easily have the highest membership. Plus all the supporters who've moved here to Melbourne.

Our membership is obviously more limited by a smaller stadium, but if you do the maths, I think we quite possibly have the largest number of overall supporters of any club, Melbourne's 'big 4' included. I guess what counts as a 'supporter' might be sometimes debatable, but someone who at least keeps up with it, watches some games and has some emotional attachment to the team's performance.

The reason is simple: maths and demographics. If we just take Perth vs Melbourne (and not include the rest of WA vs Vic), Perth is a city of 2 million, while Melbourne has 4.5 million (according to the latest census). If the average Perthite is about as likely to be into footy as the average Melburnian, then that 2 million could be split mostly between West Coast and Freo, with the Eagles accounting for perhaps 60% (I can't say what percentage follow footy). Melbourne is divided between 9 clubs, and while support is hardly evenly divided, I highly doubt the big Melbourne clubs would have the same support West Coast would being in a two club town. If theoretically there were say, 1 million AFL fans in Perth, perhaps 600,000 could be West Coast. If there were 2.25 million AFL fans in Melbourne, Collingwood would require an enormous 25%+ (a whole quarter) of footy fans to equal that.

Adelaide is much smaller, with only 1.3 million, while AFL is still the minority code in Sydney and Brisbane.

So yeah, if theoretically we had a stadium the size of the G we could have easily have the highest membership. Plus all the supporters who've moved here to Melbourne.
It's been shown to be the Swans when people are simply asked who they support.How passionate is the never ending debate though

Well I suppose you’re fighting it out with 1 club for a few million rather than 8 others for a few million so it’s realistic.

Your supporters wouldn’t be as generational and passionate but with time as you build your history I know they’ll be great growth for the eagles.

As for being the biggest in Australia? Bigger than Collingwood that’s for sure, smaller than us now but depending on circumstances can overtake us.

It's been shown to be the Swans when people are simply asked who they support.How passionate is the never ending debate though

I guess cos they simply go for the Swans since they're the Sydney team. Average casual Swans 'supporter' in Sydney is probably more casual than Eagles supporter in an Aussie rules state. I guess in both Perth and Sydney it's just part of parochial state/city identity. Most simply support one of the Perth or Sydney clubs cos they're from there.

Well I suppose you’re fighting it out with 1 club for a few million rather than 8 others for a few million so it’s realistic.

Your supporters wouldn’t be as generational and passionate but with time as you build your history I know they’ll be great growth for the eagles.

As for being the biggest in Australia? Bigger than Collingwood that’s for sure, smaller than us now but depending on circumstances can overtake us.

Yeah obviously being relatively new compared to those old Victorian sides we don't have that, but 32 years is a fair amount of time, and it's beginning. The sons of some Eagles greats playing and the likes of Don Pyke and Woosha coaching enhances the sense the Eagles are established. The WAFL never reached the size and stature of the VFL either. But while we probably have more casual fans than Richmond, many are just as passionate. Many still vividly remember West Coast as representing WA and WA football after years of many of our best going over to the VFL.

Short answer No. Their relatively small social media numbers reveal the relatively limited reach of their support. Very strong in WAwith one rival. Far behind both Pies And Don's and considerably behind Tigers Blues and Hawks in overall reach.

Last edited:

Lol look at social media numbers mate. Collingwood are on top closely followed by Essendon. Richmond are ranked 6th. We are talking supporters not members mate. Collingwood and Essendon have Richmond covered easily. Hawthorn are actually ranked 3rd in the competition for social media numbers followed by Adelaide, west coast then you tigers!!!

Yeah obviously being relatively new compared to those old Victorian sides we don't have that, but 32 years is a fair amount of time, and it's beginning. The sons of some Eagles greats playing and the likes of Don Pyke and Woosha coaching enhances the sense the Eagles are established. The WAFL never reached the size and stature of the VFL either. But while we probably have more casual fans than Richmond, many are just as passionate. Many still vividly remember West Coast as representing WA and WA football after years of many of our best going over to the VFL.

Same with Collingwood, Essendon, Adelaide have far more casual fans Australia wide then Richmond. Richmond might have the most engaged fans in the competition but when they fall down the ladder Collingwood and Essendon will easily overtake them

Collingwood
West Coast
Richmond
Essendon
Adelaide
Hawthorn
Carlton
Sydney
Fremantle
Geelong
Melbourne
Port Adelaide
Western
St Kilda
North Melbourne
Brisbane
Greater Western Sydney
Gold Coast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon sign the biggest sponsorship deal for any club in the country. mcguires eyes will be spinning like poker machines.

Is that the $2m a year one with Amart?

Pretty sure Hawthorn's deal with Tassie alone far exceeds that. And i've got no idea what the other big clubs get a year from their major sponsors.

Is that the $2m a year one with Amart?

Pretty sure Hawthorn's deal with Tassie alone far exceeds that. And i've got no idea what the other big clubs get a year from their major sponsors.
EFC in signing this deal now has the highest value guernsay in the AFL As I understand it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back