News West Coast calls on fans to start new game-day tradition at Perth Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Personally I'm all for it - will help to get the fans into the game and vocal from the get go.
Know there will be some nay-sayers who think it is gimmicky or tacky - but we have a significant amount of quieter aged supporters and anything that helps bring the crowd into the game to support the team is a plus

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...to-start-new-game-day-tradition-ng-b88775252z

ARTICLE:
Liverpool fans belting out the words to ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ prior to kick-off at Anfield has become one of the great pre-game traditions in world sport.

And in recent times, AFL clubs have looked to emulate its success. Port Adelaide supporters have started singing ‘Never Tear Us Apart’ pre-game at Adelaide Oval, while Sydney are trying to get Swans fans to sing along with ‘Sweet Caroline’ at quarter-time breaks at the SCG.

Now, West Coast are looking for their followers to use their legs - rather than their lungs - in a new tradition at Optus Stadium.

Borrowing a move from basketball, the Eagles are calling on fans to get on their feet and stand prior to bouncedown in every home game this season.

Using coach Adam Simpson and the playing group in a motivational video, West Coast is keen for supporters to “join the huddle” and put their arms around neighbours’ shoulders when the team gathers for one last address following the coin toss.

“We want everyone standing. Join us in the huddle,” the coach says.

“We’re all Eagles. This is our new home. So anyone who comes into town... they should know they’re taking on all of us.”

There’s no doubt the prospect of almost 60,000 fans on their feet prior to bouncedown in an Optus Stadium blockbuster would be quite the sight.

The question now is: Will it catch on?

The eagle is a bird, right? We could all do this...

latest

Kudos for trying to be different, but the idea still seems a little strange.

When I read the article I just breathed a sigh of relief that we weren't being forced to sing 'Eagle Rock' or some other equally lame song while mimicking the Port Adelaide scarf stretch over our heads.

It would just be too unoriginal and we would be seen simply as knocking off PA's cringey opening stunt - although I can't decide if I simply find it cringey cos of the song Port has chosen. I do love it when Man City sing 'Blue Moon'.

When I read the article I just breathed a sigh of relief that we weren't being forced to sing 'Eagle Rock' or some other equally lame song while mimicking the Port Adelaide scarf stretch over our heads.

It would just be too unoriginal and we would be seen simply as knocking off PA's cringey opening stunt - although I can't decide if I simply find it cringey cos of the song Port has chosen. I do love it when Man City sing 'Blue Moon'.

If done right crowd interaction can be amazing, eg The Poznan

Wisconsin State

And the simple but effective Viking Clap

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i dont wanna touch anyone but im ok w/ standing pls let me keep my personal bubble thanks simmo

I don't mind the standing part but I'm not sure that putting your arms around a stranger will take off. I'm usually at the pub until bouncedown anyway (gotta make the most of full strength beer), so doubt I'll be at my seat for it.

Personally I would prefer a rousing rendition of :
“yes we all hate Sydney, clap your hands.
Yes we all hate Sydney, yes we do.
Yes, we all hate Sydney, all hate Sydney.
All hate Sydney clap your hands..”

And substitute opposition team name as required...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t mind it - but yeah I can see lots of people not liking the physical contact with strangers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back