Autopsy West Coast defeat Bulldogs by 10 goals - rd 11, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure you of all people can get on your high horse over pathetic comments

I’m not on a horse and never have I abused an oppo fan for a simple comment. NEVER

But make it about me if that helps you feel better :)

We dont kick well, but every week sides are kicking 18.7 or 21.7 against us. I’m convinced that sides only practice their goalkicking in the week leading up to matches against us. All sides need to do to beat us is to kick straight.
Is part of the problem that inside 50s against us are frequently ‘inside 30s’. And often directly in front. Sheed kicked a beauty. I think one of Darling’s might have been tricky. The vast majority were pretty straightforward. That said, we would have missed them.

Can people stop saying we have a great midfield. North ran all over it. So did Carlton. There are some very talented individuals in there but right now we are as much a shambles there as we are up forward.

It’s far too one speed. There is not a single dynamic pace guy in there to change things up.

And when we add guys like Gowers and Lipinski to the mix it’s very average.

As a collection Bont McRae Libba Wally Dunks and co are very talented but not one of them is what I would call fast.

Add to that a very young ruckman and you get dismantled.

I'm surprised to see the amount of criticism of Caleb Daniel after yesterday's game.
I thought he was by far our best player.
The main criticism seems to be his height somehow making us vulnerable.
I saw him outmarked once, by Ryan I think it was, and in pack marking contests our taller players didn't exactly cover themselves in glory.
Daniel, however, did something useful with the ball every time he got it.
He appeared to have a hand in most of our scoring and tried his heart out for the whole game.
I reckon he's the least of our worries.
If in your opinion he was our best player thats fair enough. I disagree as he does nit do something useful every time he gets and it is not simply marks of which there were more than one, but also his opponent being able to direct the football if isolated one on one.

Its not a criticism of his game per se, it is happening every week whilst down back.

I rate him just would like to see him much higher where he will not get exposed and though he does not have alot of depth to his kicking which is the major issue with him taking kickouts, he is an accurate kick.

Therefore if he is played much higher not only will he not be exposed but his strengths become a strength for us, delivery into our forward 50 and goalkicking, which are 2 areas of concern of not current major weaknesses of our team.

Cordy hasn’t improved in three years. Does this guy lift any weights? Can’t expect him to repel the ball streaming down, but as someone stated in the game day thread, we should expect more.

When games are generally low scoring as they are this year, you can’t continue to play Caleb down back and be responsible for giving up 2.5 goals a game. Out does the good he provides down back.

Bailey Williams I simply don’t see it. Not likely to be a reliable defender in the heat of September. One-on-one is very weak.

Anything to do with forward craft; contested marking, goal-kicking, crumbing, snapping, leading. Amateurish and has been since Barry Hall retired.

Tim English is getting belted in the ruck consistently. We tend to ignore it because he does one or two good things a week as he develops. It’s not his fault, there is no one else, but at this stage of his career he should be playing the forward/ruck role Luke Darcy did under Scotty Wynd. Need to recruit another ruck from somewhere, as well as a FB. God knows where though.

We can’t expect Bont to deliver the 4 points every week. Not humanly possible. If he’s down, someone else has to step up. I feel Macrae has been less effective this year. Of the other senior players, I am positive all teams allow Hunter to receive the ball on the wing. Does no damage once he gets it. Brad Scott hit nail, hammer, head at last weeks presser. Said the dogs game plan is very obvious and doesn’t change much. Very predictable. JJ was very soft with that tap. He did put his head over it, after that though. Maybe a wake up call?

Finally drafting/trading. We have to stop drafting mids. It has to be talls, talls, talls from here on.

The coach. We need to start seeing some urgency in his messaging. Cruising along like we are is talking heads stuff i.e Road to nowhere.

Trying to apply the bigger picture. Stock standard 10 goal Perth drubbing with Kennedy/Darling doing their usual damage. They surely circle the dogs game, as the fixture comes out each year. Another year closer to Kennedy’s retirement at least.
I made the same comment about men vs boys in the game thread. I know we have a young list but even our older players don’t seem to carry any weight or muscle. The West Coast players just moved us out of the way at will. Darling looked like a monster, Vardy also along with Kennedy but even their midfielders looked so much bigger and stronger.

Don’t see us troubling these guys in quite a while. Usually I would complain about the umpires but that was just a complete and utter drubbing in the second half by a team at the top of its game and we looked many classes below them.

good time for Macrae having a break. His recent games been well below his brilliant best.

I’ve said it from last year our coaching panel is bottom 4 and possibly bottom 2. They came up with one plan on 2016 and have been unable to duplicate it or think Of any relevant plan B.

The positive with ending up bottom 4 is the club MUST make changes and can’t just continue to think these coaches can take us anywhere. Has any club in the history of football had the exact same coaching panel 4 years running?

Keep playing the kids and resign Bont and English (which I do not believe are both locks to stay at all) that’s the primary goals for the next 18 months

The list is miles off being any good but I still think the majority of the issues are off field and include everyone from Gordon to Bev.

I think you mean RE-SIGN. To resign means to quit but re-sign means to sign again. It's surprising how much difference a hyphen makes.

If in your opinion he was our best player thats fair enough. I disagree as he does nit do something useful every time he gets and it is not simply marks of which there were more than one, but also his opponent being able to direct the football if isolated one on one.

Its not a criticism of his game per se, it is happening every week whilst down back.

I rate him just would like to see him much higher where he will not get exposed and though he does not have alot of depth to his kicking which is the major issue with him taking kickouts, he is an accurate kick.

Therefore if he is played much higher not only will he not be exposed but his strengths become a strength for us, delivery into our forward 50 and goalkicking, which are 2 areas of concern of not current major weaknesses of our team.
I made the same comment about men vs boys in the game thread. I know we have a young list but even our older players don’t seem to carry any weight or muscle. The West Coast players just moved us out of the way at will. Darling looked like a monster, Vardy also along with Kennedy but even their midfielders looked so much bigger and stronger.

Don’t see us troubling these guys in quite a while. Usually I would complain about the umpires but that was just a complete and utter drubbing in the second half by a team at the top of its game and we looked many classes below them.
Until we get a Big body ruckman (mobile) to give our mid field first use of the cherry nothing will change.You win the centre clearance the chance you will convert.
Tim English will be given a good chance to develop much like Grundy did.

We dont kick well, but every week sides are kicking 18.7 or 21.7 against us. I’m convinced that sides only practice their goalkicking in the week leading up to matches against us. All sides need to do to beat us is to kick straight.
It has to do with where they are taking their shots from. With no Big KPD they are marking anywhere from the goal square to 30m out a lot of times directly in front.
Whereas a lot of our shots are from wide positions or scrambled shots. It's the missed set shots that really rip the heart out of the side. Just incapable of burying the easy ones to put pressure on the opposition

Until we get a Big body ruckman (mobile) to give our mid field first use of the cherry nothing will change.You win the centre clearance the chance you will convert.
Tim English will be given a good chance to develop much like Grundy did.
Grundy took time to develop English is improving. He will get there we just have to stay the course to reap the benefits

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are a shambles. Some serious questions need to be asked about the coaching staff and the recruitment staff. Not enough questions are asked about the doggies and it's high time we start asking. How do you go from winning a flag with a team that needed 2/3 players to compete at the top level to this shite?

We are a shambles. Some serious questions need to be asked about the coaching staff and the recruitment staff. Not enough questions are asked about the doggies and it's high time we start asking. How do you go from winning a flag with a team that needed 2/3 players to compete at the top level to this shite?
That question has been answered so many times.. pay attention

That question has been answered so many times.. pay attention

What’s your deal mate, everything ok? You’ve been very short, abrupt & rude to a lot of people lately. If it’s to do with footy, we are all feeling the same way but you can’t keep acting like that

What’s your deal mate, everything ok? You’ve been very short, abrupt & rude to a lot of people lately. If it’s to do with footy, we are all feeling the same way but you can’t keep acting like that
Certainly short. We do slide under the radar in terms of criticism. My previous post is still valid.

Hating seeing our best back play forward while dad bod Cordy is the guy down there. Just switch them ffs.

People round here don’t take kindly to criticism of Cordy’s floppy dad bod. Unfortunately, the Cordy DNA is chock full of anti-swole strands.

It’s a shame, with his mentality he’d be a really good defender if he weren’t so easily manhandled and outbodied. Might do well as a third man up type one day, or playing on smaller forwards like Moz used to.

Can’t switch Naughton back now though, he’s on track for 30+ goals as a 19 year old KPF. That would be murdering Peter to give a high interest loan to Paul.

Cordy is fine. He had a stinker but he’s played some decent games.

I’d put him forward to be honest. Keep Naughton forward and I’d even keep Gardner up forward until we got an upgrade for him. Cordy kicks out Gowers. Cordy is probably an improvement in terms of defensive pressure anyway. And provides the blocks for Naughton.

Then completely overhaul KFD stocks in the offseason. Target 2-3 KPDs. KPDs are so much easier to find than KPFs. Hence why you keep Naughton forward.

Can people stop saying we have a great midfield. North ran all over it. So did Carlton. There are some very talented individuals in there but right now we are as much a shambles there as we are up forward.
It doesn’t help when we put Gowers in there! I just don’t see why we have to rotate so many players through the midfield. If you look at Geelong, they don’t rotate as many as us. We need more centre bounces of Bont, Libba, Dunkley

Daniel was our best easily IMO, coaches votes back that up. The criticism is genuinely baffling to me.
I'd say he'd be leading our B&F at this point also.
The problem is we’re playing him wrong. When we won the flag, he was in the midfield setting up our forwards as he should be now

Daniel was our best easily IMO, coaches votes back that up. The criticism is genuinely baffling to me.
I'd say he'd be leading our B&F at this point also.
I think most of the criticism is not of Daniel himself, I know it is not from me, it is how he is being used. For as good a game he played, and he was in our best no doubt, how many goals did he set up and how many did he stop?

Football is not an individual sport it is a team sport. We lost by 11 goals. We have lost more than we have won and likely will for the remainder of the year.

We not only struggle to get past half way from our kick outs, if fact they were turn over half of the time and resulted in shots on goals from the Eagles and other teams we have lost to this year, and we are getting exposed with height not just in marking but in ball control in our back half.

We also have poor disposal into our forward line, converting goals and crumbing pressure.

Daniel's body (not height) is maturing as is his game sense and skills under pressure. He plays the same game on Sunday forward of centre or in most games we have lost and we give ourselves a good chance at winning.

I think most of the criticism is not of Daniel himself, I know it is not from me, it is how he is being used. For as good a game he played, and he was in our best no doubt, how many goals did he set up and how many did he stop?

Football is not an individual sport it is a team sport. We lost by 11 goals. We have lost more than we have won and likely will for the remainder of the year.

We not only struggle to get past half way from our kick outs, if fact they were turn over half of the time and resulted in shots on goals from the Eagles and other teams we have lost to this year, and we are getting exposed with height not just in marking but in ball control in our back half.

We also have poor disposal into our forward line, converting goals and crumbing pressure.

Daniel's body (not height) is maturing as is his game sense and skills under pressure. He plays the same game on Sunday forward of centre or in most games we have lost and we give ourselves a good chance at winning.

How do you explain the whole first half of 2018 then? Played forward of centre and barely had an impact. He's not a long kick so he'd probably still take the short option and we'd still had set shots from 40-50 out. We get plenty of those already which is why we miss so often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back