West Coast Eagles 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon you’ve got that around the wrong way.

Below the shoulders, you have a darn good team, with players in place to destroy teams.

It is above the shoulders were the problems are. Too many times in 2020, players just didn’t click the “on” button when they entered the arena.

Too many players comfortable and satisfied, Versus too few players hungry for success ?.

I wasn't referring to mental prowess - rather our dominance of talls.

Spot on mate, the club and not all but many of our supporters are happy to rest their laurals on being competitive and making the most money, the team itself doesn’t have the drive real good sides have. The results clearly show this. Being on the front page of the paper is more important than winning footy games. Talent yes, character and will do to anything to succeed doesn’t exist. Not in the clubs DNA
But that's not the eagles mentality, that's the western Australian footy commissioners mentality.

The WAFC own both eagles and dockers and don't care about anything except making money.

Freo were making profits for 16 straight years from 2003-2018. Freo only made finals in 7 years out of 16 so the other 9 years Freo don't make finals.

Amazing Freo were profitable from 2007-2001. Only in 2010 they made finals in that 5 year stint under Mark Harvey as coach.

Then again the average ticket price was $40-$50 dollars and Freo was averaging 30-35,000 people at home games at Subi

The WAFC are a bunch of communists and don't bother hiding it.

They will hand the WAFL teams the bare minimum of cash just to give those WAFL teams enough cash to survive.

But that's not the eagles mentality, that's the western Australian footy commissioners mentality.

The WAFC own both eagles and dockers and don't care about anything except making money.

Freo were making profits for 16 straight years from 2003-2018. Freo only made finals in 7 years out of 16 so the other 9 years Freo don't make finals.

Amazing Freo were profitable from 2007-2001. Only in 2010 they made finals in that 5 year stint under Mark Harvey as coach.

Then again the average ticket price was $40-$50 dollars and Freo was averaging 30-35,000 people at home games at Subi

The WAFC are a bunch of communists and don't bother hiding it.

They will hand the WAFL teams the bare minimum of cash just to give those WAFL teams enough cash to survive.

You can’t blame the WAFC for how the mentality of 22 blokes run out to play as professional footballers.
I agree re the WAFC but that has nothing to do with how the Dockers or Eagles perform on match day.

You can’t blame the WAFC for how the mentality of 22 blokes run out to play as professional footballers.
I agree re the WAFC but that has nothing to do with how the Dockers or Eagles perform on match day.
I didn't mind the simpler times prior to 2018. Freo and eagles played at Subiaco. WAFL owned Subiaco oval and both Freo and west coast each paid 3 million a year in rent. So the WAFL got their 6 million a year and spent it and invested it wisely and saved some each yeàr too.

The AFL used to invest 💰 on country footy in WA but strangely and slowly cut down spending in that area when west coast won flags in the 1990s.

Yet the AFL invested AFL money in NSW and Queensland.

Probably bringing up vicbias. Seems that the AFL view the WAFC as the enemy.

Still...... The crows and Port were owned by the south Australian national football league or SANFL. They gave the ownership to the AFL after bleeding both SA teams dry.

I didn't mind the simpler times prior to 2018. Freo and eagles played at Subiaco. WAFL owned Subiaco oval and both Freo and west coast each paid 3 million a year in rent. So the WAFL got their 6 million a year and spent it and invested it wisely and saved some each yeàr too.

The AFL used to invest 💰 on country footy in WA but strangely and slowly cut down spending in that area when west coast won flags in the 1990s.

Yet the AFL invested AFL money in NSW and Queensland.

Probably bringing up vicbias. Seems that the AFL view the WAFC as the enemy.

Still...... The crows and Port were owned by the south Australian national football league or SANFL. They gave the ownership to the AFL after bleeding both SA teams dry.

The great shame is the WAFL get very little of the money. As we have recently found out the WAFC have been wasting it all on not required employees and fat cats.

I am no freagle by any stretch. But Rioli is only one player. You still have 21 decent players that were going to play.

Losing Rioli wasn't like losing Judd and cousins back in 2007. This was a 24-25 year old Chris Judd about to hit his prime years and a 28 year old Ben cousins at his Peak.

If I recall, west coast won the 2018 flag with out a few best 22 players through injury and suspension. Nice Nat was one, gaff was another.

You can still win key games with out 2-3 key players in your best 22 and replace them with youth or rotating fringe players. You won't be as strong but that means the other 19-20 players have to play that 10-20% better on the day to cover those losses.
Not what I ment. Rewatch the start of that game. The players were devastated. No on had there head in the game that night.

If they don't win the premiership the good people of W.A will call it a ''conspiracy of the east'' and set in motion new grounds for another secession movement.
They will gain their independence from tyranny and oppression so help them God!

The mining wealth is all theirs by birth right. Theirs theirs theirs theirs theirs theirs theirs!

The first major project the newly independent country of ''The peoples democratic republic of Western Australia'' will undertake is to build a mighty stadium 3 times the size of the MCG. It will be named Bloodbath Arena and in between AFL games it will be used like the ancient colosseums of Rome, where foreigners captured from the east are pitted in mortal combat against ferocious native animals like..

View attachment 1021994
Another dense twat who thinks everyone in WA supports the Eagles (or the Dockers for that matter).

West Coast struggle to finish top 4 unless they get a massive armchair ride from the umpires like they did in 2018, just look at the free kick differential that year
Yep 900+ free kicks over the second most team (North) in the last 20 years. It's basically impossible to beat the Eagles in Perth during the season because it's not just the extra half dozen free kicks each week but where they're paid. Eagles get two to three goals each home game by free kicks right in front of goal as a rule whereas the oppo can't buy a free kick in their own attacking 50. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.

I've been watching and assessing this manifest itself specifically for 25 years and the Eagles will always make finals because they're guaranteed 9-10 home wins a year. The noise of affirmation is Fact.

Having said that I really rate and admire them as an organisation (their fans not so much but excellent for banter lol) and always see them as the main danger because they get a huge leg up only having one co-tennant (and let's be real the Dockers are the Richmond of 82-16, pretty harmless) so each of their home games is a genuine home ground advantage game. So they're always going to win a huge % of their home games.

They will be top 4 and maybe top 2 if they win their close ones away and if so, look out. I have them right there if they get a full year out of their key half dozen players, NicNat, Yeo, Gaff, McGov, Darling/Kennedy/Allen, Kelly etc

The great shame is the WAFL get very little of the money. As we have recently found out the WAFC have been wasting it all on not required employees and fat cats.
Have to agree. It would be so great for WA footy if the intention was to strengthen grassroots, regional/suburban/amateur footy and particularly the WAFL. I drive past East Freo oval every day and it's a crying shame to see how dodgy some of the WAFL grounds now are. It's no good the wafc sitting on a pile of cash while clubs struggle to field teams and develop their facilities. The money is there it just doesn't seem to trickle down in any useful quantities. I saw recently that the WAFL is considered a tier below the SANFL and there's no reason that should be the case. Amazing footballers come from WA (Buddy, Rance, Kennedy, Cripps - real top echelon, generational players) but that has to be fostered and I can't understand why this talent branch is allowed to wither on the vine.

Have to agree. It would be so great for WA footy if the intention was to strengthen grassroots, regional/suburban/amateur footy and particularly the WAFL. I drive past East Freo oval every day and it's a crying shame to see how dodgy some of the WAFL grounds now are. It's no good the wafc sitting on a pile of cash while clubs struggle to field teams and develop their facilities. The money is there it just doesn't seem to trickle down in any useful quantities. I saw recently that the WAFL is considered a tier below the SANFL and there's no reason that should be the case. Amazing footballers come from WA (Buddy, Rance, Kennedy, Cripps - real top echelon, generational players) but that has to be fostered and I can't understand why this talent branch is allowed to wither on the vine.

I don't know who said that? It clearly isn't. I would be happy to back the WAFL premier to beat the SANFL premier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know who said that? It clearly isn't. I would be happy to back the WAFL premier to beat the SANFL premier.
I wish I'd bookmarked where I saw it but it was definitely a Vic recruiter talking about the draft (the last few weeks). I only read afl.com, foxsports or SEN so it was on an interview on one of those. It's only one recruiter's opinion but he said it like it was a known thing which is why it suprised me.

Who's been winning the interstate games the last few years ? That may be the only fair way to say. I thought they were all much of a muchness with the VFL as second tier comps with the neafl another tier down. I'd be interested in what people think.

I wish I'd bookmarked where I saw it but it was definitely a Vic recruiter talking about the draft (the last few weeks). I only read afl.com, foxsports or SEN so it was on an interview on one of those. It's only one recruiter's opinion but he said it like it was a known thing which is why it suprised me.

Who's been winning the interstate games the last few years ? That may be the only fair way to say. I thought they were all much of a muchness with the VFL as second tier comps with the neafl another tier down. I'd be interested in what people think.

Since 1991 (State League)
Played: 13
SA: 7
WA: 6

SANFL’s Last 5 Matches
2018 – WAFL 15.12 (102) d SANFL 11.10 (76) at Adelaide Oval
2016 – SANFL 16.10 (106) d VFL 13.9 (87) at Adelaide Oval
2015 – WAFL 18.13 (121) d SANFL 11.10 (76) at Lathlain Park
2014 – SANFL 18.10 (118) d VFL 14.12 (96) at Port Melbourne
2013 – SANFL 21.14 (140) d NEAFL 9.4 (58) at City Mazda Stadium

WAFL has won its past six State Games in succession, including two wins each against the VFL and SANFL
WAFL’s win in Adelaide last year was its first since 1994, breaking a four-game losing streak

Looks pretty even to me if you go off these results.

Mostly because Eagles supporters know that the only place they have a chance to beat Richmond at is Optus, can't beat Richmond at the MCG, can't even get close at a neutral ground such as Metricon
We have a s**t record vs Gold Coast recently at Metricon.

Don't flatter yourself.

Since 1991 (State League)
Played: 13
SA: 7
WA: 6

SANFL’s Last 5 Matches
2018 – WAFL 15.12 (102) d SANFL 11.10 (76) at Adelaide Oval
2016 – SANFL 16.10 (106) d VFL 13.9 (87) at Adelaide Oval
2015 – WAFL 18.13 (121) d SANFL 11.10 (76) at Lathlain Park
2014 – SANFL 18.10 (118) d VFL 14.12 (96) at Port Melbourne
2013 – SANFL 21.14 (140) d NEAFL 9.4 (58) at City Mazda Stadium

WAFL has won its past six State Games in succession, including two wins each against the VFL and SANFL
WAFL’s win in Adelaide last year was its first since 1994, breaking a four-game losing streak

Looks pretty even to me if you go off these results.
Even pretty much and even the WAFL in front lately. As I said, the comment stood out to me as not ringing particularly true. Subjective opinions of course but even so.

Another dense twat who thinks everyone in WA supports the Eagles (or the Dockers for that matter).
well you Do have a point.....

But If we are talking pre west coast era of the 1960s, 1970s and early to mid 1980s, If Any WA people Followed any VFL team in that period It would likely be Geelong due to Polly Farmer, North Melbourne because Barry Cable and Ross Glendenning used to play for them, Carlton due to buying every decent WAFL star possible such as Peter Bosustow, Mike Fitzpatrick and Ken Hunter or Richmond as Maurice Rioli played for them.

That was my assumption.

in South Australia in the Pre crows era. If any South Australians would support a VFL team in the 1980s, Its most likely to be Carlton with Stephen Kernahan, Craig Bradley and Mark Naley playing for them. Or the hawks as John Platten played for the hawks as he came from central disticts in the SANFL.

well you Do have a point.....

But If we are talking pre west coast era of the 1960s, 1970s and early to mid 1980s, If Any WA people Followed any VFL team in that period It would likely be Geelong due to Polly Farmer, North Melbourne because Barry Cable and Ross Glendenning used to play for them, Carlton due to buying every decent WAFL star possible such as Peter Bosustow, Mike Fitzpatrick and Ken Hunter or Richmond as Maurice Rioli played for them.

That was my assumption.

in South Australia in the Pre crows era. If any South Australians would support a VFL team in the 1980s, Its most likely to be Carlton with Stephen Kernahan, Craig Bradley and Mark Naley playing for them. Or the hawks as John Platten played for the hawks as he came from central disticts in the SANFL.
Appreciate the history lesson but exactly none of that was news to me.

My point is that so many assume that because you live in WA you support one of the WA teams. They then go on to disparage where you live assuming of course that you're an Eagles or Dockers supporter, which frankly I'm not and which I find mildly offensive.

These are often supporters from my own team. So I sit contributing in the Richmond threads/rooms listening to Richmond fans occasionally retaliating or going off about what a shithole WA is (I'm guessing less than 10% have ever actually been there which is similar to WA in that many West Aussies haven't actually been out of WA), how crap our Premier is (can't be doing too bad if he's polling 89%!) as if that matters when it comes to footy anyway and generally having a go at our culture etc.

We're bloody Australians just like you.

We all make a lot of assumptions but the thing that annoys me is the state bashing (#vicbias example) bullshit that goes on. There's plenty of Eagles, Crows, Swans and Suns fans in Vic and there's plenty of Bris fans in Adelaide and Richmond, Collingwood or Hawks fans in Fremantle. It's a National competition with different fans spread all over the country.

I don't stupidly assume all Richmond fans are in ******* Richmond so just how dense are some people ?

Anyway rant over, is the draft on yet ?

Whatever happens I hope Jake Waterman plays 20+ games... Breakout season beckons. Could be a ripper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back