West Coast Eagles 2021

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Hanging onto the glory of 2018 however don’t have the mental toughness to climb the mountain again. About 4-5 clubs in front of them. Will claim enough wins at home to just miss out on the top 4 but go no further than the 2nd week of finals.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
They could win the whole thing. But they seem a bit disinterested, or easily distracted from playing ruthless full on footy. KPFs getting on, so they'd better get it going or they'll 'just' be a finals team, but not a contender.

There's a glass 1/2 full, 1/2 empty view

Agree with this, they do seem easily distracted - and I don't mean the hub thing, I mean on field during games.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
I reckon we'll finish 3rd or 4th next year, being knocked out by either Richmond or Geelong @ MCG in a prelim final.
I can see that happen too. Again..... As I posted, I see the eagles get between 3rd-6th.

Can see them get 2nd or possibly top of the percentage is good.

Can get 9th or 10th if they get a horror injury run like demon's of 2019.

We dot even know how many games each team will play next season.

Can be a season where each team plays 17 games like 2020.

Could possibly have each side play 22 games again like a normal season.

Could make it to 24 games for each side to make up for last year's shortages of tv rights money.

But say it's a 22 game season. I see eagles get 15 wins and 7 losses. So that's bordering on 3rd -5th

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The number of Richmond posters in here says plenty............
This is coming from a neutral view.

I have seen SA team poo fights, the WA team poo fights, cats vs hawks, Freo vs saints over Zac Dawson and Ross Lyon, hawks vs Essendon, blues vs Essendon and tigers vs north, dogs vs north poo fights.

SA poo fights are among the worst on bay 13.

Eagles vs tigers poo fights are getting close to crows vs port poo fight levels.

I am. As I posted, last couple of seasons they've fallen all over themselves in a heap when it counts. Sure they were great in 2018 and deservedly won, but have lacked the drive and mental toughness to back it up from there.

I wouldn't call finishing in the top eight in the last two seasons as 'fallen all over themselves in a heap' - underachievement, sure, but we were effectively two points away from finishing top six in two consecutive seasons - not exactly a common feat.

However, I do think there is a question of hunger for another flag with much of the playing group. In 2018 we wouldn't have capitulated to Collingwood like that, for example.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I wouldn't call finishing in the top eight in the last two seasons as 'fallen all over themselves in a heap' - underachievement, sure, but we were effectively two points away from finishing top six in two consecutive seasons - not exactly a common feat.

However, I do think there is a question of hunger for another flag with much of the playing group. In 2018 we wouldn't have capitulated to Collingwood like that, for example.
2019 season for the eagles was interesting though.

That game vs the tigers was the 8 pointer. Had the eagles won, the would of got top 4.

That 1 point loss to Collingwood in the Elim final 2020 was similar to Ports loss in that 2020 preliminary final to the tigers 2 weeks later.

I assure you port would want those last 2-3 minutes back when they were down by 5 points. Just needed that mark inside 50 for someone up forward to get the match winning goal to win by a point.

Eagles would love the last 2 minutes of that Elim final vs Collingwood too. You would love that winning goal or 2 rushed behinds to get that win

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
West Coast’s a bit of an enigma. Whenever people expect them to finish low, they tend to do well (e.g. 2018 and 2011). Whenever people expect them to finish high, they tend to underwhelm (e.g., 2012, 2019 and 2020). If we follow the trend, then they would finish in the top 4 in 2021.

I personally think that they’d be around the top 4 again. It all depends on how a team like St Kilda performs in 2021 because they’d be the most likeliest to overtake the top 5 teams.

Solska

Debutant
Nov 22, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Have them missing finals. They’re an ordinary side and I suspect they will slip further.

Why is Optus Stadium being built up as some kind of test for Richmond by the way? There are far superior interstate teams who pose much more of a challenge than West Coast in Perth. Pies knocked em off there in their most recent game when they had everything on the line and a huge advantage. I don’t think a dynasty team will have any issues dealing with them.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Have them missing finals. They’re an ordinary side and I suspect they will slip further.

Why is Optus Stadium being built up as some kind of test for Richmond by the way? There are far superior interstate teams who pose much more of a challenge than West Coast in Perth. Pies knocked em off there in their most recent game when they had everything on the line and a huge advantage. I don’t think a dynasty team will have any issues dealing with them.
Missing finals?
Big call

Captain_Bender

Premiership Player
May 21, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

Mostly because Eagles supporters know that the only place they have a chance to beat Richmond at is Optus, can't beat Richmond at the MCG, can't even get close at a neutral ground such as Metricon

Solska

Debutant
Nov 22, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Mostly because Eagles supporters know that the only place they have a chance to beat Richmond at is Optus, can't beat Richmond at the MCG, can't even get close at a neutral ground such as Metricon
Makes sense. They act like it’s the be all and end all of fixtures. Probably still clinging on to their win in 2018 there.

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
Will smack teams at home and win enough games to make the 8 but as the season progresses they will drop a game they shouldn't and tail away as finals begin.

They need to finish top 2 to get home finals which won't happen. Probably make a semi that's about it.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Hanging onto the glory of 2018 however don’t have the mental toughness to climb the mountain again. About 4-5 clubs in front of them. Will claim enough wins at home to just miss out on the top 4 but go no further than the 2nd week of finals.

2018 is the relevant measure. It puts a fine point on the failure since then.

Do the Dew

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2019
Stuart Dew's Gut
AFL Club
Richmond
2019 season for the eagles was interesting though.

That game vs the tigers was the 8 pointer. Had the eagles won, the would of got top 4.

That 1 point loss to Collingwood in the Elim final 2020 was similar to Ports loss in that 2020 preliminary final to the tigers 2 weeks later.

I assure you port would want those last 2-3 minutes back when they were down by 5 points. Just needed that mark inside 50 for someone up forward to get the match winning goal to win by a point.

Eagles would love the last 2 minutes of that Elim final vs Collingwood too. You would love that winning goal or 2 rushed behinds to get that win
They also lost comfortably to a 9th placed Hawks with nothing to play for in Rd. 23 2019 at Optus. If they had won that, they make top 4 and push Collingwood down to 5th.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
No shortage of food in WA Gav, got anything in particular in mind?
Hadn't realised this but was reading something at stat of the pandemic (around March) that WAs major supermarkets and food wholesalers have only about 3-5 days supply of food and operate on a just in time inventory strategy (which makes sense). predominately supplied from easterm states.
The concern at the time was if there was a supply disruption from the east combined with a major run on of supermarkets like were seen eastern states there were grave concerns held about food running out.

You would have had to settle for marron each day (with a crisp Pemberton white)

I wonder if the team's bought into what seems to be the overriding culture amongst the supporters: An overwhelming sense of entitlement to unearned rewards. The team just seems really brittle to me. They fall to pieces when everything isn't going their way. Ie home ground advantage, umpiring etc.

Back