West Coast Eagles 2021

Chunky09

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
2019 was won on the back of 7 games at the MCG in a row heading into the finals

Agree on 2018. We had a lot of extra supporters due to playing Collingwood haha
Yeah I know they really should’ve made us play Collingwood, Melbourne and Carlton interstate.
Or forget the fact we played the g about 5 times by round 14, but who needs that when you can have VICBIAS.
It might also shock you if you check collingwoods run home in their last premiership year.....

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
Yeah I know they really should’ve made us play Collingwood, Melbourne and Carlton interstate.
Or forget the fact we played the g about 5 times by round 14, but who needs that when you can have VICBIAS.
It might also shock you if you check collingwoods run home in their last premiership year.....
Look at the Bulldogs in 2016

VFL knows what they want

Chunky09

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Hardly hardest flag ever.
Shortened quarters made it less taxing on older players.
Only 17 games played per team for the season. lol, that's a full month less of footy!

I loved the AFL narrative though. Talk of being the most deserved flag and all but seriously, get us back to full 20 minute quarters and 22 rounds per season thanks.
Can’t argue with that, 16 minute quarters was tripe, and season was a real rush

Chunky09

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
No, it had a record run at their home ground, theirs was at the start of the season though
I can see where this is gonna go, we’re not gonna agree so I’m gonna leave it.
Anyway west coast has arguably one of the best, maybe best spread of good players across all 3 lines.
I think they’ll be pretty driven this year, and got em definitely in the top four, love to meet em in the finals, would be a great game

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
You make no sense at all.You haven't read the posts we're the Eagles fans claiming we should have won more flags with alot of could off and should off or that suits you.

I think it is normal for supporters of good teams that did not win the flag to reflect on the season and play a bit of sliding doors. Every year there are 4-5 teams that could win it, but only one team does.

Supporters of teams like Geelong, West Coast or even GWS have these moments as their club makes finals most years. Personally, I don't play coulda woulda shoulda too much as it's pointless, but I understand how it would be compelling.

For the better part of 40 years Richmond have been hot or cold. Mostly cold, but when they've been hot, they've been very hot and gone all the way.

The reality is West Coast in 2019/2020 were not nearly as bad as you try to make them out to be.

You're trying to flex, but just coming across as incredibly insecure.

DanWA

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle Sharks
Anyway west coast has arguably one of the best, maybe best spread of good players across all 3 lines.
I think they’ll be pretty driven this year, and got em definitely in the top four, love to meet em in the finals, would be a great game
I understand why Richmond fans will never agree

You would never see a scheduled 7 in a row at our home ground

The VFL would simply not allow such a thing to influence a non Victorian team

The AFL could schedule home games for Victorian sides playing WA sides at Optus.

They'd make a fair bit of money doing that too. Pick the sides that would draw the worst total crowds for games at Marvel Stadium against either WCE or Freo and play them at Optus instead, 50,000 attending instead of 18,000.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
2019: should've beaten Collingwood at home, losing to Richmond in Rd 22 was a massive 8 point game for final ladder positions, should've beaten Hawthorn at home in Rd 23 who had nothing to play for (top 2 spot already off limits by that point, top 4 wasn't)

2020: started off playing horrible footy in the first hub, should've beaten WB in Rd 16, should've beaten Collingwood in the EF. Was still a 12-5 H&A season with a 5-5 record outside WA.

I think WC fans have very realistic about our last two years. We've probably been 85 or 90% of the 2018 side, and that's enough to go from top 2 and a flag to 5th.
The loss to Hawthorn in 2019 was really unforgiveable.

A win would have put us into third place above Richmond, sending us to Brisbane in week one. Who knows what happens from there? Probably a good chance to at least make a PF.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
In our last 2 premierships we have also to my mind actually been lucky in being a good (not great) side in average years. If you look at west coasts forwards from 05-07 there is no way we should have been close to a premiership or with the players we had out in the 2018 finals we shouldn't have got near it. To win a premiership with a huge illicit drug problem running through the club (there is no way it can be beneficial) or to win without Gaff, Nicnat or Sheppard in 2018 finals was a huge overachievement. Would we have beaten teams like geelong of 2008-11, st kilda of 09-10, collingwood of 2010-11 in either of those grand finals. Not a ******* chance, they were great teams.
I think you're underselling some of the quality in those sides.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Funny about club sites isnt it ...

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
WC have a pretty challenging start to the season.

R1: Gold Coast (h)
R2: Bulldogs (a)
R3: Port Adelaide (h)
R4: St Kilda (a)
R5: Collingwood (h)
R6: Geelong (a)

Should beat the Suns in Perth. Chalk up Geelong in Geelong as a loss. The rest are 50/50.

On one hand, if WC win at home and can score 1-2 wins on the road, it could set up their season.

On the other hand, a disastrous start could leave them 1-5 and that will put them under a fair bit of pressure. Rightly or wrongly, talk of a "rebuild" will become inevitable should that happen.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
WC have a pretty challenging start to the season.

R1: Gold Coast (h)
R2: Bulldogs (a)
R3: Port Adelaide (h)
R4: St Kilda (a)
R5: Collingwood (h)
R6: Geelong (a)

Should beat the Suns in Perth. Chalk up Geelong in Geelong as a loss. The rest are 50/50.

On one hand, if WC win at home and can score 1-2 wins on the road, it could set up their season.

On the other hand, a disastrous start could leave them 1-5 and that will put them under a fair bit of pressure. Rightly or wrongly, talk of a "rebuild" will become inevitable should that happen.

Is this based on looking backwards?

Bestbird

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
The loss to Hawthorn in 2019 was really unforgiveable.

A win would have put us into third place above Richmond, sending us to Brisbane in week one. Who knows what happens from there? Probably a good chance to at least make a PF.

Hawthorn were in pretty decent form also beating GWS late season and were still a slight chance of playing finals. It didn't help that the week before they had a glorified training run against Gold Coast whilst we slugged it out in a tough contest in Melbourne going down narrowly against Richmond.

Still a piss poor effort

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Hawthorn were in pretty decent form also beating GWS late season and were still a slight chance of playing finals. It didn't help that the week before they had a glorified training run against Gold Coast whilst we slugged it out in a tough contest in Melbourne going down narrowly against Richmond.

Still a piss poor effort

People forget that from the end of 2019 through the beginning of 2020 Hawthorn beat: Collingwood, GWS, Geelong, West Coast, Brisbane and Richmond and were expected to be one of the big improvers in 2020.

The result was a shock at the time, but looking at the form in retrospect, they were surging up until they had to go one the road.

Either way, I think the R17 clash against Collingwood was far more critical. Up by 3 goals late in the 3rd quarter, West Coast would kick just a solitary point in the last quarter and a half and would go on to lose by a point.

If they won that game, they would have locked in top 4 spot with Collingwood spluttering.

It's really just those sliding doors moments, but I honestly don't understand why we are dwelling on 2019 and 2020 when discussing West Coast's prospects in 2021. 2019 (and 2020) is ancient history and has zero bearing on this years fortunes.

mcfazza28

Senior List
Jul 16, 2011
London
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Fulham
People forget that from the end of 2019 through the beginning of 2020 Hawthorn beat: Collingwood, GWS, Geelong, West Coast, Brisbane and Richmond and were expected to be one of the big improvers in 2020.

The result was a shock at the time, but looking at the form in retrospect, they were surging up until they had to go one the road.

Either way, I think the R17 clash against Collingwood was far more critical. Up by 3 goals late in the 3rd quarter, West Coast would kick just a solitary point in the last quarter and a half and would go on to lose by a point.

If they won that game, they would have locked in top 4 spot with Collingwood spluttering.

It's really just those sliding doors moments, but I honestly don't understand why we are dwelling on 2019 and 2020 when discussing West Coast's prospects in 2021. 2019 (and 2020) is ancient history and has zero bearing on this years fortunes.

Also let Collingwood kick cheap goals in the first half when dominant. Should have lead by more at half time.

Ryan missed a sitter to make it 5 goals up in the third and then we stopped.

We have an irritating habit in games of surging and then doing nothing for a quarter. Also have a bad habit of letting teams get a run on.

The real heartbreak last year was the Bulldogs game where we were outplayed and somehow were in front. Bontempelli then marked an 8 metre kick on the 50 and his shot was touched on the line but called a goal as the review didn’t look at the reverse angle.

It would have meant a qualifying final against Port in Adelaide. Our home away from home.

Still don’t think we would have won the GF as it was at night in Brisbane.

That said, we were scheduled a bunch of dewy night games in the hub and we don’t handle them well.

We play Richmond twice this year and would be nice to get them in the daytime on a dry deck. You shouldn’t have to rely on conditions but they really influence us.

It’s such a shame we play Richmond so rarely. I think it has robbed the league of a great contrasting match up.

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Of course a thread west coast, becomes one about Richmond and descends into a little bitch fight based in the past.

I don't include sweet Jesus's post in this as I see it as an accurate assessment of west coasts' current state pf play.

armpit

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Rent free
1613991612563.jpeg

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
For them to win the flag, theyll need to actually win games interstate.

WC have one of the best records in Victoria out of any interstate side. In 2018, I dont' think they lost a game there. Not to mention we rarely lose in SA. Seems your knowledge of WC is severly dated.

Back