West Coast Eagles 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

07 & 19. Our mad flop years. 07 Cats were on the warpath. 19 was tragic. 2020 no one cares about. I swear we are gonna play Tigers in an epic final this year. Just need someone to step up in Josh Kennedys place

And a lack of come the end of the year.

Take nothing away from the Pies last year as they turned up to play but we were disappointed when it counted.

The same end of 2019 with the Hawks and their last game of the year.

I'd swear some of our players read the papers to much and believe too much of the hype given to them.

You forgot the main point through on the road all season, away from family's etc takes a toll your underestimating the difficulty of 2020.

You weren’t on the road, you were in a hub like every other team playing the majority of games at a neutral venue..

Hardest season ever lulllzzzzzzzz

hard for Richmond compared to the soft pampered draw they usually get.. doesn’t even compare to a normal eagles season

You weren’t on the road, you were in a hub like every other team playing the majority of games at a neutral venue..

hard for Richmond compared to the soft pampered draw they usually get.. doesn’t even compare to a normal eagles season
Well if the WA government becomes as stubborn as Tough man tony Abbott, the AFL fixture could be thrown into chaos.

Hell, Both your eagles and my dockers might be forced in Hubs and forced to play home games in Canberra or Adelaide or somewhere in Queensland.

Salty that's for sure.We weren't on road lol.A normal eagles season ? Correct blowing 2 home finals against middle road sides, and double chances in 2 years.Cant win play at home win the flag complain, win away on the road all year same I bet if we played in Antarctica you come up with a excuse.

Salty that's for sure.We weren't on road lol.A normal eagles season ? Correct blowing 2 home finals against middle road sides, and double chances in 2 years.Cant win play at home win the flag complain, win away on the road all year same I bet if we played in Antarctica you come up with a excuse.

We won the home final in 2019 against Essendon. You must be thinking of the last round home game against Hawthorn which cost us top 4.

on the road means travelling to the other side of the country and playing the opposition at their home ground like the Eagles do 10 times plus finals every season...when did you do that at least once last season ?

and what 2 finals did we lose at home ?
is lying part of your usual tactics when loosing an argument

like i said tough compared to Richmonds normal dream run ...toughest flag ever lulllllllllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

on the road means travelling to the other side of the country and playing the opposition at their home ground like the Eagles do 10 times plus finals every season...when did you do that at least once last season ?

and what 2 finals did we lose at home ?
is lying part of your usual tactics when loosing an argument

like i said tough compared to Richmonds normal dream run ...toughest flag ever lulllllllllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I don't get why you guys are so focused on Richmond in a thread about the Eagles, you guys do it with every thread. Talk about obsessed. But whilst you insist on making this all about the Tigers: I find it Odd that last year, Richmond were advantaged by playing in Victoria, NSW, QLD, SA & the NT. Whilst West Coast were terribly disadvantaged by only having to travel to QLD twice. Yet in other years it's travel that's the disadvantage.

If WA teams have to hub this year, what are the odds it will turn from a massive premiership winning advantage into the most unbearable injustice of all time?

I don't get why you guys are so focused on Richmond in a thread about the Eagles, you guys do it with every thread. Talk about obsessed. But whilst you insist on making this all about the Tigers: I find it Odd that last year, Richmond were advantaged by playing in Victoria, NSW, QLD, SA & the NT. Whilst West Coast were terribly disadvantaged by only having to travel to QLD twice. Yet in other years it's travel that's the disadvantage.

If WA teams have to hub this year, what are the odds it will turn from a massive premiership winning advantage into the most unbearable injustice of all time?

Another Richmond supporter making things up they I never stated

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another Richmond supporter making things up they I never stated

Answer his questions ?.Your the one not backing up your points.My bad it was one home final lost in 2 years.You have new terms on the road now ?.We went to SA twice , Darwin and played in Sydney all this permanently in Qld and all finals to.You had the luxury being at home besides being in a hub early on and no excuses.

So in your opinion: In 2020 was Richmond significantly disadvantaged compared to West Coast?

What is this idea that only Victorian teams were in hubs last year?

16/18 teams spent time in hubs.

The SA teams were in a hub from round 3 - round 6.

WA teams spent 10 weeks in hubs from round 2-7 and round 14-`18 (10 games).

Victorian teams played 12 home and away games in a hub from round 6-18.

The NSW teams were in a hub from when they left NSW for WA in round 7 or so.

its part of their imaginary hero/victim narrative

haven't you heard, Vic clubs were solely responsible for saving the league

Answer his questions ?.Your the one not backing up your points.My bad it was one home final lost in 2 years.You have new terms on the road now ?.We went to SA twice , Darwin and played in Sydney all this permanently in Qld and all finals to.You had the luxury being at home besides being in a hub early on and no excuses.

You are right, no excuses but try getting your facts remotely close to being correct.

Just out of interest how many games do you think WCE played in Perth in 2020?

Fist of all, I’m Not suggesting that Richmond weren’t the best team last season, I think the Queensland conditions suited their style, but also , as stated before, free agency (favourable recruiting) has been rewarding for both of the GF teams. (Victorian teams have won all (7) but one GF since Free Agency)
BUT, the AFL missed an opportunity to program the hubs from a transparent scientific & financial perspective. Unfortunately the past mis- management caught up with them & they went into survive mode. (Not exactly what their salary’s demanded) There needed to be more open discussions, admissions & inclusion, unfortunately these qualities don’t exist in the current power culture of the AFL. The structural changes will have enormous consequences.

HUBS

Another way of approaching this is looking at time zones as this has the biggest (peer reviewed) affects on exercise physiology. From a sports science perspective the AFL fixtures were & still are flawed. Consider the stress(cortisol) levels during the first hub. WC were essentially guinea pigs, Clubs had no idea how long they were going to stay & were really beholden to an executive, who were more interested in protecting their Queensland legacies. WA & I guess SA clubs had essentially trained in completely different conditions.
Throw in enormous cuts to the soft cap expenditure, essentially laying off much of Australian football’s intellectual capital. The season started with exasperation & league division at the state of the AFL’s fiscal management. There was enormous uncertainty.
The second hub, in my opinion was down right negligence on many levels (psychological and immunological) Flying multiple time zones to play multiple games on short breaks was ridiculous & to be frank the only Beneficiary’s were officials junketing(60million) on the Gold Coast. As it turned out the AFL’s messaging at seasons end reflected more about themselves than the state of the game. In the meantime many AFL coaches without a job are scratching their heads whilst 10 executives paid themselves 10 million!
And what were their solutions, longer quarters with less interchange?

WC have a pretty challenging start to the season.

R1: Gold Coast (h)
R2: Bulldogs (a)
R3: Port Adelaide (h)
R4: St Kilda (a)
R5: Collingwood (h)
R6: Geelong (a)

Should beat the Suns in Perth. Chalk up Geelong in Geelong as a loss. The rest are 50/50.

On one hand, if WC win at home and can score 1-2 wins on the road, it could set up their season.

On the other hand, a disastrous start could leave them 1-5 and that will put them under a fair bit of pressure. Rightly or wrongly, talk of a "rebuild" will become inevitable should that happen.
well eagles should not be 0-2.

I won't be surprised if eagles post a 3-3 or 4-2 record after this run of 6 very unpredictable games.

well eagles should not be 0-2.

I won't be surprised if eagles post a 3-3 or 4-2 record after this run of 6 very unpredictable games.
Depends on the COVID assessment at the time, currently,
Vic is low Risk = 14 days self quarantine
SA & Qld are Very low Risk= no quarantine
If this remains I’m not sure if the WC / WB or the Freo/ MELB fixture stays like that, especially if WC or Fremantle have to quarantine for 2 weeks back in Perth. If the borders stay , then SA or Qld sides could be considered.
Probably be a last minute decision.

Hawks played 1 home game at our home ground. And one away game at our home ground.

How about WCE ? How many home games at your home ground and how many away games at your home ground ?

Hawks played 1 home game at our home ground. And one away game at our home ground.

How about WCE ? How many home games at your home ground and how many away games at your home ground ?

someone light a candle for those hard done by Vic clubs
they had to endure a fraction of what it's like being a non Vic team for 1 whole season

diddums

I think it is normal for supporters of good teams that did not win the flag to reflect on the season and play a bit of sliding doors. Every year there are 4-5 teams that could win it, but only one team does.

Supporters of teams like Geelong, West Coast or even GWS have these moments as their club makes finals most years. Personally, I don't play coulda woulda shoulda too much as it's pointless, but I understand how it would be compelling.

For the better part of 40 years Richmond have been hot or cold. Mostly cold, but when they've been hot, they've been very hot and gone all the way.

The reality is West Coast in 2019/2020 were not nearly as bad as you try to make them out to be.

You're trying to flex, but just coming across as incredibly insecure.
The Main reason Richmond have been cold was mainly Because they have been Poorly run in a certain period. As I said, Richmond only made finals in 1995 and 2001 in that 1983-2012 period. Not to mention all those 9th placed finishes.

West Coast in 2019 were a solid side. yes they got 15 wins. That close loss to Richmond at the MCG was an 8 pointer as one of the eagles posters has mentioned.

West coast could of got top 4 in 2020 had they not had that 2 point loss to the dogs. Had they won that game, Eagles would of finished 4th and Geelong 5th. I dont think the cats would of made the grand final from 5th spot.

I understand why Richmond fans will never agree

You would never see a scheduled 7 in a row at our home ground

The VFL would simply not allow such a thing to influence a non Victorian team
Let it go. It has been done. Complain about Richmond having 7 games in a Row at the MCG all you want, Richmond had a chance and took an Advantage.

Crows went from bottom 4 in 2011 to top 2 in 2012 Because they had the suns twice, GWS twice and a struggling Port twice.

Essendon in 2000 went 21-1 due to being good and the 4 non vic sides they beat outside of Victoria in Brisbane, Port, Freo and Swans, 3 of those sides didnt make finals.

Richmond could of played 5 games in a row mid season from 1990-1994 and you wont ring it up becuase they didnt make finals in that period. Hell it could be any tenant in the MCG like Collingwood or Carlton or Demons making finals playing 5 MCG games in a row.

I kid you not....

Look at Collingwoods 2010 season. They won the flag that year too.

And Guess what? Look at all their games Between rounds 16-22. Yep all games are at the MCG.

Collingwood played their last 7 regular season games at the MCG too that year and won the flag. Why havent you Brought that one up too? Like Richmond in 2019, Collingwood was given an "Advantage" but were good enough to take advantage of it ecuase they had a good side and were good enough to do it.

For them to win the flag, theyll need to actually win games interstate.
They have won flags doing this.

In 1992, Eagles beat Geelong in a Semi final and In a Grand final at the MCG.

In 2006, Eagles Beat the crows in a prelim final at footy Park and beat the Swans in the grand final the next week.

In 2018, Eagles beat collingwood in the grand final at the MCG.

So, West coast has history in winning finals out side their home state.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back