Club Focus West Coast Eagles 2022 - Hunt, Ginbey, Hewett, Barnett, Burgiel, Long, Winder, Trew

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Darling would be our best forward by a fair margin.

I think he would be a great pick up, so I hope it doesn't happen.

Only one year older than Taberner and Lobb and has nearly 200 more goals than those two combined.

Missed pre-season this year because he's a knob and still played 21 games. Has played 257 since the start of 2011 which is right up there for durability (I think the most is Hawkins with 260 odd). Freo's forward mix with one guy who is going to play every game and kick 40 for the year would be a lot more balanced. Lobb has had a career year and kicked 34 goals. Darling did that and gets pasted for not doing a pre-season.

Eagles are in a tight spot probably 6 high earners need to be moved but cant see them leaving which makes any rebuild for the Eagles very painful and take extra time.

Nicnat signed a 1 year deal on reduced wages - apparently. Not sure how much but with reddo going as well as Kennedy & Sheppard, I don't think the saraly cap is as tight as the media make it out to be.

So West coast eagles for the flag in 2023? What are the odds?

Now eagles have pick 2. What will they do with it?
We’re not going to be a basketcase for 5+ years like some are predicting is more what I meant.

I’m hoping for Wardlaw with pick 2 but who knows

We’re not going to be a basketcase for 5+ years like some are predicting is more what I meant.

I’m hoping for Wardlaw with pick 2 but who knows
You really think you can turn this whole side around in 1-2 years?

Again.... Eagles didn't make finals in 2021. They got bottom 2 in 2022. Your team will be bottom 6 for another 2-3 years minimum.

Look at the crows. Grand final in 2017. Narrowly missed out on finals In 2018-9. Then fell to a heap in 2020. COVID was a weak excuse.

They were bottom 6 in 2021 and Bottom 6 again in 2022

You really think you can turn this whole side around in 1-2 years?

Again.... Eagles didn't make finals in 2021. They got bottom 2 in 2022. Your team will be bottom 6 for another 2-3 years minimum.

Look at the crows. Grand final in 2017. Narrowly missed out on finals In 2018-9. Then fell to a heap in 2020. COVID was a weak excuse.

They were bottom 6 in 2021 and Bottom 6 again in 2022
We can be mixing it in the 8 in another couple of seasons. A couple of decent drafts, splash some money around for a couple of decent trades and retain the players we want and it’s not much of a reach. Weve never missed finals for more than 3 years at a time.

Hard to know where to begin with list, they are in a v bad position. The only plus is that WCE are a proud club who don't seem to stay down for long.
Crows have not made finals since that infamous grand final in 2017. It's 2022 now. They have not made finals once from 2018-2022. That's 5 years in a row.

Freo spent 2016-21 not making finals. That's 6 years in a row.

West coast are not gonna turn this all around because they are a proud club. They have an ageing and beaten down squad.

They need gun kids or elite players in that 22-26 year old range to back up the ladder again

We can be mixing it in the 8 in another couple of seasons. A couple of decent drafts, splash some money around for a couple of decent trades and retain the players we want and it’s not much of a reach. Weve never missed finals for more than 3 years at a time.
So going by your view..... Eagles have not made finals in 2021 and 2022.

So they can miss finals in 2023. If they don't make finals in 2024, west coast fans will riot in Mirrabooka? LoL

Crows have not made finals since that infamous grand final in 2017. It's 2022 now. They have not made finals once from 2018-2022. That's 5 years in a row.

Freo spent 2016-21 not making finals. That's 6 years in a row.

West coast are not gonna turn this all around because they are a proud club. They have an ageing and beaten down squad.

They need gun kids or elite players in that 22-26 year old range to back up the ladder again

Yeah, but you are a Freo fan so you want them to suffer.

Their list profile is horrible IMO but not willing to consign them to five years of bottom 4 yet.

Yeah, but you are a Freo fan so you want them to suffer.

Their list profile is horrible IMO but not willing to consign them to five years of bottom 4 yet.
Yes I am a Freo fan. I couldn't care less if they rot or suffer to be honest. I just love the delusional drunken tirade posts of some eagles fans that they will turn it around quickly because they are west coast and because of past successes.

Even you agree their list profile is horrible.

Go ask yourself this question. You see Nic Nat and Andrew Gaff with a premiership 🏅 medal as eagles players in 2-4 years time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I am a Freo fan. I couldn't care less if they rot or suffer to be honest. I just love the delusional drunken tirade posts of some eagles fans that they will turn it around quickly because they are west coast and because of past successes.

Go ask yourself this question. You see Nic Nat and Andrew Gaff with a premiership 🏅 medal as eagles players in 2-4 years time?

Yeah, no.

Tbh, it sounds like you do care. A rather anodyne remark by a WC fan, along the lines of, 'we won't be a basketcase for 5+ years' seemed to set you off.

WC look to have done very well out of last year's draft, and I think they will hit the draft very hard for the next 2-3 years.

A lot of larger contracts will be finished over the next 2-3 years too, so they'll have cash to go after free agents from 2024 onwards.

WC look to have done very well out of last year's draft, and I think they will hit the draft very hard for the next 2-3 years.

A lot of larger contracts will be finished over the next 2-3 years too, so they'll have cash to go after free agents from 2024 onwards.
Which of your draftees did you like? Clark looked alright but Simpson didn't give him enough centre bounce starts. Hough looked way too skinny. Bazzo I didn't really see, his stats look alright for a first year tall. An awful start to Chesser's career. Doesn't look like the sort of draft that plays a big part in turning fortunes.

Which of your draftees did you like? Clark looked alright but Simpson didn't give him enough centre bounce starts. Hough looked way too skinny. Bazzo I didn't really see, his stats look alright for a first year tall. An awful start to Chesser's career. Doesn't look like the sort of draft that plays a big part in turning fortunes.
Bazzo, Hough, Chesser and Culley all look like long term players to me. Clark will be gone pretty quickly I think. Jack Williams is a project.

I saw a bit of Chesser pre-season and there's a reason WC signed him until 2025 asap. Yes Hough is skinny, but WC have a gym.

The rebuild started last year, and you're right, one draft won't change the clubs fortunes. It's a good start though.

I couldn't care less if they rot or suffer to be honest.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

You're so FOS, Of course you care, we're totally rent free in your head 24/7, it's why you constantly stalk every thread on the eagles board.

Screenshot_2022-09-30-17-26-49-41_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Hough looks to be an absolute steal. Probably hard to see unless you are a masochist like me who watched every minute of every Eagles game.

Excellent in traffic, good vision, makes good decisions, likes the contest even though he is a twig.

Has to work on his tank. Would start games looking like the BOG for a quarter and a half then absolutely disappear for the rest of the game. Happened a few times this year.

Excited to see what he can produce next year.

Eagles are in a tight spot probably 6 high earners need to be moved but cant see them leaving which makes any rebuild for the Eagles very painful and take extra time.

McGovern is OOC end of 2023.

Yeo, Gaff and Darling end of 2024.

You can only draft so many top line kids. 4 max 5 per year and then they take time to develop.

So they focus on the draft this year and next then the cap space opens up for a FA or a high priced trade in 2024. Two years time.

Since Perth isnt to go to destination for FA's or OOC players like Melbourne or Geelong or Qld even if big contracts are offloaded who is moving West?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back