Club Focus West Coast Eagles 2022 - Hunt, Ginbey, Hewett, Barnett, Burgiel, Long, Winder, Trew

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

The season will rise and fall on 2 things. Changes to game plan and Injuries.

We have the same game plan and constant injury changes of last year from the start of the year and we are bottom 4.
We keep the same game plan but have a good run with injuries and our fixture and we finish 6-12th.
We combine a revamped game plan with a solid run without injury (particularly to our top mids) as well as our weakest fixture in many years and we could finish top 4. With players already out there training unhampered seasons from Shuey, Yeo, McGovern and Rioli will make a huge difference.

For those not following West Coast look out for Izzy Winder next year. Of our draftee's Clark likely to play 10+ games and don't be surprised if we see debuts from Hough and Chesser.

The season will rise and fall on 2 things. Changes to game plan and Injuries.

We have the same game plan and constant injury changes of last year from the start of the year and we are bottom 4.
We keep the same game plan but have a good run with injuries and our fixture and we finish 6-12th.
We combine a revamped game plan with a solid run without injury (particularly to our top mids) as well as our weakest fixture in many years and we could finish top 4. With players already out there training unhampered seasons from Shuey, Yeo, McGovern and Rioli will make a huge difference.

For those not following West Coast look out for Izzy Winder next year. Of our draftee's Clark likely to play 10+ games and don't be surprised if we see debuts from Hough and Chesser.

Agree with the first bit, but not the second bit. It's wildly optimistic to think you'll finish Top 4 - neither of us will next season.

Agree with the first bit, but not the second bit. It's wildly optimistic to think you'll finish Top 4 - neither of us will next season.

It is very optimistic. However at the base of it the WCE have a very, very good best 22 with solid depth in defence and offence. Midfield injuries kill us for one and the gameplan we played was just completely pulled apart by a combination of lack of attacking flair and the rule changes.

It's also while I listed at the bottom of the least most likely to happen.

Think this bloke will come in dominate in a similar way to James Podsiadly

Suns and Pies should be kicking themselves .

Why would Collingwood and Suns only be Kicking ourselves?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the obvious shortfall WC find themselves in with Allen injured in the short term and Darling medically unfit for duties he’s a good short term option I think as a genuine reliable goal kicker. Could prove himself better than that but I think right now he is useful cover.

I’d prefer we put more time into Williams (Bailey first, Jack second) into that role as long term personally but Tyler has shown at WAFL he can consistently hit the scoreboard and provide an option.

Well 24 fit players to select a team and zero covid cases. 1 player in manditory 7 day islolation as a close contact.

At this rate and with the isolation rules the Eagles will need top up players round 1.

Darling looking like being placed on the inactive list, $400k cap saved.

If Darling is cut, Shuey retires on top of Sheppard's unexpected retirement the Eagles may well have up to $2m in unexpected cap space in 2023.

Looks like a bottom 4 finish looming in 2022.

So Eagles may well be big players come trade period and the draft.

Will be very interesting if older Eagles players look for a move elsewhere.

Well 24 fit players to select a team and zero covid cases. 1 player in manditory 7 day islolation as a close contact.

At this rate and with the isolation rules the Eagles will need top up players round 1.

Darling looking like being placed on the inactive list, $400k cap saved.

If Darling is cut, Shuey retires on top of Sheppard's unexpected retirement the Eagles may well have up to $2m in unexpected cap space in 2023.

Looks like a bottom 4 finish looming in 2022.

So Eagles may well be big players come trade period and the draft.

Will be very interesting if older Eagles players look for a move elsewhere.
Things starting to look pretty dire for you guys right now, that’s for sure. 😕
Disappointing to see Chess and Yeo go down.

Especially when petrol jelly was one of your best.

Do you want to loan Blakely, acres and banfield for a few weeks?

Watched the game last night on Kayo.

Injuries are certainly not ideal for them and I think for the first time in years we'll see their lack of depth exposed this year.

Think it's going to be a long year for the Eagles. Bottom 5 beckons you'd think.

Tim Kelly trade set them back a couple of years I think

Rebuild was always going to come at some point, been strong contenders since 2015 to 2020. Eagles are a strong, well run and wealthy club so I expect them to be back on the ball pretty quickly.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I wasn’t against the Kelly decision at the time. West Coast were all in and a realistic shot at grabbing another flag with the talent they had on their list.
For various reasons that did not pan out.

The Brander decision may also haunt them but I can see why they let him go. Simpson played him as a winger as he couldn’t find a spot up forward with JK, Darling and Allen playing well.

Now with Darling most likely gone and JK in his last year as well as Allen injured there’s a massive hole up front.

Shepperd has been a big loss and you can see why Chesser was recruited but he will take time to fill his shoes.

There was some speculation Yeo was considered as trade collateral last year and with his injury history and age that may have been a prudent thing to do. Perhaps they will let him go at the end of the year but has trade value is likely to decline further.

I dunno , you look at most clubs around the league you can pick out at least 3-4 young players you’d love to have at your club ….. anywhere up to 10 or 12 at some of them

At WC it’s Oscar Allen and who ? Couple of maybes with the taller and shorter Edwards and that’s about it

Will need to unearth half a dozen hidden gems already on the list otherwise it’s a 6-8 year stock standard trash list rebuild for mine

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back